Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Celtic 4 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Celtic 3 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Celtic scorers: Cassidy 15, Gallagher 17, McLean, Cassidy

19/01/1924 | KO:


About 6000 spectators were present at Parkhead, Glasgow, and saw the Celtic score a fine win against Aberdeen. The conditions were all against good football, and the players, especially the Aberdeen men, had great difficulty in keeping their feet. Despite that the play was always interesting, and the Celtic were value for their victory. Aberdeen started well, but the Celtic forwards soon found their game, and seventeen minutes after the start they were three goals up. Cassidy headed the opening goal from a cross by McLean, and a few minutes later the centre made an opening which Gallagher took advantage of. The third goal fell to McLean, who beat Blackwell after the Aberdeen backs had failed to clear properly. Aberdeen did better in the second half, but although the forwards worked the ball nicely in the outfield they lacked the finishing power of the Celtic attack, and Shaw was seldom in danger of being beaten. Near the finish Cassidy scored a fourth goal for the Celtic. Jackson was the strong man in the Aberdeen defence, and Paton and Grant were best in a poor attack.

Source: The Scotsman, 21st January 1924

At Celtic Park, Aberdeen sustained their heaviest defeat of the season, Celtic claiming the points by 4 goats to 0. About three-quarters of an hour before the start, rain commenced, and a heavy downpour continued throughout the game. In consequence, the pitch quickly cut up, and although the players changed their rig-out at the interval the majority of them were covered with mud at the finish. The score is a contradiction of the run of the game. Celtic were undoubtedly the better team, but their superiority is exaggerated by the margin in their favour. Except for a period of twenty minutes in the first half, the losers had quite as much of the play as the winners, and, indeed, in the second half most of the attacking was done by Aberdeen. Three goals scored by Celtic inside a space of six minutes at a comparatively early stage of the game practically settled the issue, and although Aberdeen afterwards played pluckily, and were on occasions unfortunate not to score, they were always fighting a losing battle, and when Celtic obtained a fourth goal from one of their few raids in the second half there was never any doubt about the result.


Aberdeen flattered at the start, and Smith forced a corner off McNair but W. McStey brought relief. Thomson, from near the touchline, caused Shaw to handle, and following this a raid by McLean resulted in Jackson bringing relief when Thomson was in good position in front of Blackwell. A concerted movement by the Aberdeen forwards was cheeked by Hilley, and at the other end Forsyth caused McAtee to shoot behind. Grant forced the pace for Aberdeen, and cleverly beat McNair to cross, but W. McStey again relieved. At the end of fifteen minutes McLean got away, and beat Hutton on the run to centre, and Cassidy headed past Blackwell. A second goal came almost immediately. Following a Celtic movement in the Aberdeen penalty area, Cassidy slipped the ball forward to Gallacher, and while the Aberdeen defenders were claiming for offside the Celtic inside right slipped the ball into the net after drawing Blackwell out of his goal. Celtic played with great confidence and precision after this, and with the Aberdeen half-backs losing their grip, the home team made all the running for a time. McAtee got away with a clear field, and centred accurately for Mclean to beat Blackwell a third time after several Aberdeen defenders had blundered. A run by Grant brightened Aberdeen hopes, but Hilley was able to clear, and in another attack by Celtic Blackwell saved at point blank range from Cassidy. Miller, for Aberdeen, led several raids, and had two good shots which went a trifle wide. Shaw had to jump to field a hard drive by Grant, and Miller was unfortunate not to count when, after beating Hilley, his shot was blocked by Shaw. Paton came into prominence with tricky work, and as the result of this Thomson tested Shaw from near the touch-line. Celtic again took up the attack near the interval, and McLean tested Blackwell with a brilliant shot. Celtic's lead of 3-0 at the interval was not in accordance with the run of the play.


It was still raining heavily when play resumed. Aberdeen attacked through Miller, but the passing-back tactics adopted by the Celtic defence disconcerted the visitors in their efforts. Gallacher got away to worry the Pittodrie defenders, but Paton and Miller again set Aberdeen attacking. Paton forced a corner, and from a ball well placed by Thomson, Smith just missed with a terrific drive. Aberdeen continued to press home the attack, and Miller, from well out on the right, hit the upright with a great shot, the ball going behind. The Celtic defenders continued to be kept busy, and after Shaw had cleared from Jackson, Hutton drove the ball wide. McLean brought relief to Celtic with a brilliant run. He cut in towards goal and placed the hall at Cassidy's foot, but the latter sent high over the bar. A shot by Jackson was deflected for another corner, but the ball was got away in a scrimmage. At the other end, Blackwell had to save from Thomson, but Aberdeen were quickly back to the attack, and Grant narrowly missed scoring with a terrific drive. Paton wormed his way through to shoot, but the ball was deflected for another corner, and Miller followed with a drive which went behind off the crossbar. A free kick, taken from long range by Hutton, was finely saved by Shaw.


Source: Press & Journal, 21st January 1924

Celtic Teamsheet
Shaw; McNair, Hilley: J. McStey, W. McStey, McFarlane; McAtee, Gallagher, Cassidy, Thomson, McLean
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
Referee: H. Dickie, Glasgow