Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Dumbarton

Scottish Cup First Round
Aberdeen scorers: Jackson 20, Miller 81.
Dumbarton scorers: Stalker

26/01/1924 | KO: 14:45


Aberdeen's Narrow Win

Aberdeen were a little lucky to beat Dumbarton at Aberdeen. If Forsyth's misunderstanding in heading the ball back to Blackwell, had resulted in gifting the leading goal to Dumbarton, Aberdeen would have had greater difficulty in winning. It was a narrow escape for the home club. Forsyth's resource in bounding back and stopping the ball within an inch or so of its crossing the line was loudly cheered. Dumbarton's game was vigorously maintained from start to finish. Stalker was their goal scorer, and Jackson and Miller got Aberdeen's goals. The Aberdeen forwards did not move with their accustomed combination. About 12,000 saw an exciting match.

Source: The Scotsman, 28th January 1924

Pittodrie Park on Saturday came very near being the scene of one of the surprises of the first round of the Scottish Cup. Aberdeen, overcame Dumbarton by 2 goals to 1, but in doing so were very lucky indeed, and it can be said of the Second Division team that they were very unfortunate not to face a replay at least. There were about 12,000 spectators. In the first half Aberdeen benefited by having the assistance of a tricky cross wind, and in the early stages looked as if they would run away with the tie. They flattered to deceive, however, for, while they brushed aside the opposition in midfield and seldom allowed the visitors to attack, they found themselves up against a stone wall at close range, and a worrying set of defenders who covered and up and did not hesitate to pack their goal held up the home attackers' efforts. Repeatedly Smith and Connon centred the ball in front of the Dumbarton goal, but their colleagues never got settled for shooting, although a number of weak attempts were made. The best shot for goal up to a point came from Jackson, Chalmers deflecting the ball for a flag-kick. The ball was cleared, but forcing work by Miller resulted in another corner, and Jackson, accepting the ball from Smith, netted with a hard drive from about 20 yards range. This happened after 20 minutes' play, and subsequently, while Aberdeen had not much difficulty in preserving their lead, they seldom looked like increasing it. Smith, Connon, Paton, Davidson and MacLachlan all had attempts at goal, but the standard of shooting was poor and lacked direction, although Chalmers effected several good saves and got the ball away whilst harassed. Close on the interval the visitors got going, and they forced a corner on the loft, the ball going behind after a scrimmage.


In the second half, Dumbarton were quick to utilise the wind to advantage, and making good use of their speedy wingers, set up an attack early. Chalmers required two attempts to save a fast ground shot by Miller, but Kennedy and Stalker had the home defence in difficulties. In a scrimmage in front the Aberdeen goal, Carlow delivered a hard shot, from close range, but Blackwell saved sensationally. Maintaining pressure, Dumbarton were soon on level terms. Following a run and centre by Miller, the visitors left winger, Stalker netted with a fast rising shot from close range. The ball struck the roof of the net, and Forsyth actually cleared as it descended, but there was no doubt of its being a goal. In imminent danger of defeat, Aberdeen rallied, and the subsequent play was very fast and not a little exciting. Each defence was raided in turn. Connon and Smith, the Aberdeen exteme wingers, got over dangerous balls, but the inside forwards were weak finishers, and Chalmers, while having an anxious time, was not seriously troubled.


Dumbarton played up with great spirit, and in a rally by their forwards the Aberdeen goal was within an ace of downfall. An awkward ball was sent in by Mair, and Forsyth, under pressure, waved Blackwell out to clear. As Blackwell was almost on it the ball bounced up, and Forsyth, attempting to head to his goalkeeper, actually sent it past him. It appeared as if the ball would roll into the empty net, when Forsyth, by a great effort, overtook it on the goal line and deflected it wide. It was a thrilling moment for the home team's supporters. After this Aberdeen attacked vigorously, and Miller found the crossbar with a shot that was worthy of a goal. With nine minutes left for play, Davidson slipped the ball forward in front of the Dumbarton goal, and in a scrimmage Miller tipped the ball into the net just wide of the Dumbarton goalkeeper. Dumbarton retaliated and Carlow forced a corner, the ball going behind following a scrimmage. In the closing minutes Aberdeen attacked strongly. Miller, in favourable position, shied badly, and Grant just missed with a terrific drive. The exchanges were keen to the end, with Dumbarton unfortunate to lose. On the home side, Blackwell was very safe in goal, and Forsyth was the better back, although this division was not so reliable as usual. Jackson was Aberdeen's best and most versatile defender, with MacLachlan next. The most prominent forwards were Connon, Paton, and Smith, but the inside trio were weak in finishing. In a clever and plucky Dumbarton team, Chalmers rendered great service in goal, and Roberson and Gibson acquitted themselves splendidly at back. Hislop and Mair were always conspicuous in the half-back line, and in a speedy and nippy attack, Kennedy, Stalker and Miller were best.

Source: Press & Journal, 28th January 1924

Dumbarton Teamsheet
Chalmers; Robertson, Gibson; Loney, Hyslop, Mair; Stalker, Kennedy, Carlow, Thomson, Miller
Attendance: 12,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W. F. Campbell, Dundee