Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 St. Mirren

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 St. Mirren

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: MacLachlan 10, Rankin 36.

02/02/1924 | KO: 15:00


Aberdeen's victory over St Mirren at Pittodrie Park by the only two goals of the match was a fair reflex of the home team's superiority throughout. Both the goals, by Maclachlan and Rankine respectively, were scored in the first half, when Aberdeen had the advantage of a strong westerly breeze. Rankine's goal was very popular as indicating his recovery after several weeks' absence from the team, following his ankle injury in the match against Dundee. The Paisley team's custodian, Bradford, kept out numerous shots. He might have received more assistance from the backs, Findlay and Hamilton. McDonald at left half was the best, and the pick of the forwards were Wood in centre and Whitelaw inside right.

Source: The Scotsman, 4th February 1924

Aberdeen defeated St Mirren at Pittodrie in much easier fashion than the 2-0 margin would suggest. To say that the Paisley team was never in the hunt is only to state a fact candidly. Their display was about the poorest of any visiting team this season and they were fortunate indeed to escape so lightly. Aberdeen had the assistance of a strong wind in the first half, and throughout the period monopolised the pressure, yet their 2-0 lead at the interval did not make their position appear safe, considering they had the breeze to contend with in the second half. As events proved, the lead was ample. St Mirren did have a bigger say in attack than they had earlier, but they never struck anything like a working combination, and while Blackwell's charge was never really in danger, the Aberdeen forwards, considering the chances that came their way ought to have increased their team's lead. Aberdeen attacked from the start, Rankin showing clever footwork, and after Miller had failed to catch up a pass ahead, the centre-forward, after manoeuvring for position, had a shot charged down by Findlay. Paton was the first to test Bradford, the keeper saving his shot from outside the penalty area.


Aberdeen kept up the pressure, and off a centre by Grant Rankin Bradford ready for his first-time shot. Miller followed with a shot that went behind. In attempting to stem another Aberdeen raid, Barclay almost deflected the ball through his own goal, the ball passing behind just outside the post. Aberdeen took the lead through MacLachlan in ten minutes. A scrimmage followed a flag kick, and the Aberdeen captain drove the ball past a crowd of players into the back of the net from about fifteen yards range. Rankin continued to show up well in the Aberdeen attack, but offside tactics adopted by the St Mirren defence kept the movements from being productive. Miller had a drive blocked by Hamilton after Bradford had fallen, and the latter recovered in time to save in quick succession from Miller and Smith. Bradford was kept busy. He had no sooner cleared a headed effort by Rankin than under pressure he had twice to throw into touch for safety. Paton plied Grant liberally with the ball, and the outside right lifted over several dangerous centres which had the defence repeatedly in difficulties. On one occasion Bradford left his goal to fist clear, but missed the ball and accidentally struck Hamilton in the face and floored him. Both felI, and it seemed that the ball would go into the goal when kicked clear from the line. Smith and Rankin were slightly off the mark with hard drives, but nine minutes from the interval Aberdeen obtained a well-deserved second goal. Following a centre by Grant, Paton had a shot blocked, but the ball was returned to Rankin, who scored with a fast ground shot. Aberdeen monopolised the pressing, even Hutton and Forsyth joining in the attack. A high shot by Rankin was deflected against the top of an upright by Bradford, but he met the rebound to fist away. Near the interval Hutton and Jackson had express shots which just missed counting.


With the strong wind to help them, it was anticipated the St Mirren forwards would come more into prominence, but expectations in this respect took some time to be realised. After five minutes of midfield play Paton got possession, and after eluding two opponents on the eighteen yards line, sent a fast ground shot, which Bradford with difficulty deflected round the post for corner. A raid by the Paisley right was repulsed, and Rankin, after a long sprint along the left, troubled Bradford with his finishing effort. At the home end, Wood met a return by Hutton to shoot wildly over, this being the visitors' first real attempt in the game to locate the net. Smith broke away to centre behind for Aberdeen, and later he shot wide while travelling at top speed, A run by the St Mirren left resulted in McDonald shooting over, and later Forsyth conceded a corner, but Thomson failed to keep the ball in play from the flag. At the other end, Smith forced a corner off Findlay, and Rankin headed just high of Bradford's goal. The Aberdeen defence exploited the offside theory, and their trap found ready victims in the St Mirren attackers, whose efforts to counteract the tactics were weak. Wood was only inches high with a splendid shot from thirty yards range, but generally Aberdeen were more dangerous in attack. Bradford with great difficulty cleared from Rankin's head following a corner, and twice Miller failed to take advantage of scoring chances, and near the end he skied badly in an attempt to first-time through a high ball from Smith.


Aberdeen never seemed in danger of defeat after having taken the lead, and were superior throughout. Blackwell had nothing to do apart from balls his backs allowed to reach him, and Hutton and Forsyth accomplished their easy task well. Aberdeen's strength lay in the half-back line, where all three excelled, Dick making a very favourable impression at right half. Rankin was easily the outstanding forward on the field, and Smith and Paton were next best. Bradford, in goal, was St Mirren's most useful player, and saved his side from a heavier defeat. At back, Findlay and Hamilton were erratic, and all three half-backs were weak. In an attack that never moved with precision, Wood alone was prominent, but received little support. Estimated attendance, 11,000.

Source: Press & Journal, 4th February 1924

St. Mirren Teamsheet
Bradford; Findlay, Hamilton; Arnott, Barclay, McDonald; Evans, Whitelaw, Wood. McIntosh, Thomson
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: H. Humphreys, Greenock