Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Raith Rovers 1 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Raith Rovers 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Raith Rovers scorers: James

16/02/1924 | KO:


About 8000 spectators were present at Stark's Park, Kirkcaldy, where Raith Rovers had a well merited victory over Aberdeen. The score did not adequately represent the Rovers' superiority in outfield play, and only a fine defensive display by Hutton at full back and Blackwell in goal saved the Aberdeen team from a heavier defeat. There was no scoring in the first half, during which Archibald, Miller, and James tested Blackwell severely. Mathieson, the Raith goalkeeper, had little or nothing to do. After the interval the Rovers continued in the ascendency, and at the end of fifteen minutes' play James scored for them after shots by Slavin and himself had been blocked close in. Aberdeen played hard towards the end, but were seldom really dangerous, where Raith Rovers several times came near to scoring again. Both sides were considerably under strength, and all through the game was remarkably free from coarse play of any kind. James and Hutton were the outstanding players engaged.

Source: The Scotsman, 18th February 1924

Neither Raith Rovers nor Aberdeen were at full strength at Kirkcaldy, where the Rovers registered the only goal and captured the points. Aberdeen were without Forsyth, Dick, Jackson, and Rankin, and Rovers had substitutes for Brown, Inglis, McBeath, and Jennings. On a fine afternoon, there were about 6000spectators.
Aberdeen made a promising start, and a clever movement, initiated by Davidson, was spoilt by Moyes intercepting Paton's pass to Connon, who was in good position for shooting. Aberdeen maintained the pressure, and Barton got in the way of a shot by Grant. Ritchie, for the Rovers, had a long run, and Blackwell had to rush out to kick clear from his centre, and later the Aberdeen goalkeeper had again to use his feet to a cross by Archibald. Playing pretty football, the Aberdeen half-backs and forwards forced home the attack, and Mathieson was tested by by Paton. Smart play by the Rovers' right wing gave Slavin possession, but he was thwarted by Hutton, and at the other end, after a tussle with Moyes, Paton caused Mathieson to save near the top of the upright. Both teams settled down to clever football but neither attack was capable of penetration. Mathieson cleared from Connon, but the best shot so far was by Archibald, whose attempt was dealt with in masterly fashion by Blackwell. A combined run by the Aberdeen forwards resulted in Smith shooting wide from easy position after Connon had slipped. Play continued on fast and clean lines, and both teams strove to reveal the science the game. Each side had its share of attacking, and flag-kicks fell to each without the goalkeepers being much troubled. Towards the interval, the Rovers accounted for most of the attacking efforts. Blackwell, on the ground, executed a splendid save from Archibald, and later did well to hold a high ball from Miller, but a goalless draw at half-time was a fair reflex of what the game was worth.


The exchanges in the second half were much keener. Aberdeen had the first onslaught, and Mathieson's goal was fortunate to escape. The keeper saved well from Connon, and then a finely-judged cross by Miller was missed by defenders and attackers alike. The ball went out to the left for Smith to return it, and Mathieson effected a fine save from Miller. The incident enlivened the play, and Rovers were quickly attacking. In saving from a corner kick, Blackwell was charged into the net, but threw the ball out as he was charged. Following this, the Rovers' left wing met with considerable success, and it was largely due to the tricky play of Archibald and James that the Aberdeen defence conceded several corners in quick succession. After fifteen minutes' play, following a hot attack, Rovers took the lead, James shooting the ball into the net past a crowd of players. Play became very keen, and there were stoppages for injuries to Ritchie, Hutton, Grant, and Connon. The mishap to the latter was the most serious, and necessitated his going to outside right. Miller taking up the leadership of the attack. The Rovers continued to press, and repeatedly the Aberdeen defenders were in difficulties.
Miller did his best to marshal the Aberdeen attack, and for some time their raids looked like bringing the equalising goal. Mathieson had to save from Miller. The Rovers' attacks, however, were better sustained, and if they had been more accurate in their finishing they might have increased their lead. Aberdeen had to thank their defence for a great deal.
For Aberdeen, Blackwell, Hutton, MacLachlan, Miller, and Smith were best, and for the Rovers Barton, Morris, Archibald, James, and Ritchie.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 14th February 1924

Raith Rovers Teamsheet
Matheson; Barton, Moyes; Raeburn, Morris, Hilley; Ritchie, Miller, Slavin, James, Archibald
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Stark's Park, Kirkcaldy
Referee: W. Bell, Hamilton
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride