Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Clydebank 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Clydebank 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Clydebank scorers: McGrory, Scraggs (pen)
Aberdeen scorers: Grant.

12/04/1924 | KO:


Clydebank met Aberdeen at Clydeholm before about 2000 spectators. In the first half both teams had chances, but the shooting was poor, and Hutton on the one side and McKendrick on the other had a good deal to do with neutralising the respective attacks. The keenest forward was Jackson, who foraged ahead on every opportunity, but finished badly, and any danger came from Grant on the one side and McGrory on the other. In the last minute of this half Clydebank scored. Barrie drove the ball against the bar, and, Blackwell failing to clear, McGrory headed the ball into the net. On the resumption Hutton played at centre-forward for Aberdeen. A penalty kick was given against Jackson, who had taken Hutton's place, and Scraggs put Clydebank ahead. After that Blackwell proved the saviour of his side, and Hughes had also his anxious moments. To the end Aberdeen tried hard to equalise, and forced several corner kicks, but the defence prevailed.

Source: The Scotsman, 14th April 1924

Although they resorted to the expedient of playing first Jackson and then Hutton at centre-forward on Saturday at Yoker, Aberdeen were unable to prevent Clydebank winning by 2 goals to 1. There was little of the end-of-season element about the game, which was marked by much keenness, consequent upon the desperate effort by Clydebank to escape relegation. A defeat or a draw would have put an end to the team's prospects, but the result revives hope - although slight - that the club will retain its position in the First Division.
Only about two thousand spectators witnessed the game. Play was quiet at the start, and Stevenson, for Clydebank, was the first to get in a shot, which Blackwell saved. Aberdeen took a bigger hand in attack, and runs by Grant and Smith on the wings kept the home defence busy. Jackson, too, worried the backs, but the finishing of the Aberdeen line was poor. The Clydebank forwards gradually asserted themselves, and McGrory lifted the ball over with Blackwell out goal. Hughes saved near the bottom of the post from Jackson, and at the other end Blackwell cleared a shot taken by Fleming on the run. For a time the Aberdeen defence was kept in hot water, and Hutton and Forsyth were tested to the full. Aberdeen often made headway, but Jackson's over-anxiety lost them several likely chances; once, indeed he completely missed his kick. Hutton just missed with a long free kick, and after Blackwell had saved from Fleming and McGrory, a ball from Jackson and just cleared in the nick time. Close on the interval Clydebank took the lead. Hutton gave away a free kick, and Fleming headed against the bar for McGrory to meet the rebound and head into the net.


In second half both teams made changes. On the Aberdeen side, Hutton went to centre forward and Jackson to right back, and on the home side McGrory took up the leadership the attack, Fleming going outside left. The changes livened both attacks. Hughes saved from Hutton, and Miller shot over following a centre by Smith. Aberdeen soon equalised. Grant sent over a centre, and Hughes, failing to clear, the Aberdeen right winger scooped the ball into the net. In the home attack, Chalmers and McGrory developed thrust, and in a run in on Blackwell McGrory was brought down by Forsyth inside the penalty area. The forward got in his shot, however, Blackwell saving, but the referee awarded a penalty, from which Scraggs put Clydebank again on the lead. Following this, Aberdeen, playing better football, repeatedly attacked. Smith crashed the ball against the outside of the net, and forcing play by Hutton frequently had the Clydebank defence in difficulties. Forbes was given a chance by Hutton, but shot too precipitately. Blackwell had to save from McGrory. Ten minutes from the, end Miller centred, and off Hutton's pass Forbes netted for Aberdeen, but the referee disallowed goal on the grounds of offside, a decision which Aberdeen hotly disputed. Play continued keen and fast until end, but there was no further scoring.

Source: Press & Journal, 14th April 1924

Clydebank Teamsheet
Hughes; Frame, McKendrick; Baine, Scraggs, Marchbanks; McGovern, Stevenson, Fleming, Chalmers, McGrory
Attendance: 2,500
Venue: Clydeholm Park, Clydebank
Referee: J. McMahon, Motherwell
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead