Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Kilmarnock

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Kilmarnock

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Miller, Smith.

19/04/1924 | KO: 15:00


Aberdeen won their last League fixture of the season at Pittodrie by defeating Kilmarnock by two first half goals, scored by Miller, the centre-forward, and Smith, outside left, respectively. In the corresponding match last season Aberdeen were victorious by five clear goals. The margin of victory might have been greater on Saturday if Aberdeen had not been so unfortunate as to have three of their players, Forbes, Jackson, and Forsyth, incapacitated for part of a scrappy second period.

Source: The Scotsman, 21st April 1924

At Pittodrie the Aberdeen beam concluded its league fixtures for the season with a 2-0 victory over Kilmarnock. The game was marred by a series of mishaps to players, but fortunately none of a serious nature. Aberdeen were the greater sufferers. Forbes, inside left, sustained a cut near the left eye which necessitated his retirement shortly after the second half had commenced and he did not resume. Forsyth sustained a knee injury in a tackle, and limping, went to outside left, then Jackson received an injury to his face, and while he was off being attended to Aberdeen played with nine men, If not so greatly handicapped, Kilmarnock did not escape. Gray, centre-forward, was injured near the end of the game and finished at outside right.


In the circumstances Aberdeen did well to win by 2-0, yet their victory might have been attained by a greater margin. Although they scored twice, their forwards were not very successful at goalmouth, but even so they were a much better combination than those of Kilmarnock, who could make nothing of the Aberdeen defence. The opening goal followed the missing of several chances, and fell to Miller after 25 minutes' play. Paton worked his way forward, and about ten yards from goal judiciously passed to the centre-forward who flashed the ball into the net with great speed. Previous to this, Miller had lost more than one opportunity, and the Kilmarnock goalkeeper had saved severaI from him, Grant, Smith, and Forbes, the efforts by Miller and Forbes being splendidly parried by J. Morton. The second goal was obtained close to the interval. Grant carried the along, and beating Gibson, lobbed it over to the left, Smith dashed in, and shot with force, the ball striking the Kilmarnock goalkeeper and glancing into the net. In the period the Kilmarnock forwards had been dangerous on several occasions, but except for two attempts - one by Borland and one by Gray - Blackwell was not seriously bested.


Kilmarnock pressed in the opening stages of the second half, and Blackwell had twice to save from Borland, but with the visitors' extreme wingers preferring to shoot rather than cross the ball no great danger ensued to Blackwell's charge, and the defence was not seriously stretched. Gradually Aberdeen took the upper hand and even without Forbes their forward's repeatedly raided the opposing defence. Following Forsyth's injury, Smith went to left back, but before the finish he returned to the attack, taking up the inside left position, and Hutton exploited the one-back game. Forsyth, Smith and Grant all had good shots for Aberdeen, and Morton's goal had several narrow escapes. Miller hitting the post on one occasion.
On the home side all the defence played to form, and in attack Smith, and Forbes were best, but despite the scoring of two goals, the line was not particularly effective in front of goal. Kilmarnock gave a most disappointing display, and were fortunate to escape a heavier defeat. J. Morton, if appearing to lack confidence, kept goal in good style. Gibson was the better back, but the middle division was weak, and in an attack that was always in the grip of the Aberdeen defence, Gray, Rattray, and Borland were best. There was an attendance about 10,000.

Source: Press & Journal, 21st April 1924

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
J Morton; Brown, Gibson; H. Morton, Adams, McEwan; Gossman, Smith, Gray, Rattray, Borland
Attendance: 10,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: H. Russell, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride