Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Ayr United 3 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Ayr United 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Ayr United scorers: McKenzie 3 (1 pen)
Aberdeen scorers: Jackson, Jackson (Pen), Jackson.

30/08/1924 | KO: 15:00


There were thrills in abundance at Beresford Park, Ayr, where Aberdeen divided the points with Ayr United. Aberdeen counted first fully half an hour after the start, A. Jackson heading through a high cross from Smith. McKenzie equalised shortly afterwards with a drive that was deflected past Blackwell by Armstrong, whom the ball touched in its flight, the goalkeeper thus being deceived. Early in the second half W. Jackson gave the "Dons" the lead from a free kick, and McKenzie headed through the equaliser, and the same marksman put Ayr ahead from a penalty kick. Victory then seemed assured for Ayr, but in a closing rally W. Jackson accepted a chance opportunity, and beat Hughes with an unsaveable shot. A draw was a fitting ending to an exciting encounter. Aberdeen were the more methodical lot, but what Ayr lacked in this respect was counterbalanced by their eagerness. Best for Aberdeen were Blackwell, Hutton, J. Gibson, Smith, Miller, and W. Jackson, and for Ayr, Hughes, McCloy, Stewart, Skinner, and Miller. Attendance 6000.

Source: The Scotsman, 1st September 1924

Thrills and goals were plentiful at Beresford Park, where Aberdeen and Ayr United fought a draw, each team finding the net three times. On a fine afternoon there were 6000 spectators, and those were kept on tip-toe from start to finish. A fierce pace was maintained throughout, and there was delightful football. Aberdeen twice got the lead, and twice the United drew level, ultimately to lead, and the climax was reached seven minutes from the close, when Aberdeen equalised. On the whole Aberdeen were the mere methodical team, their forwards working with more precision and method than had been shown in previous games, and they were always dangerous. The Ayr attack indulged more in storm tactics, but they too were very dangerous near goal, and despite the big score the defences played well. The brothers Jackson, Aberdeen's importations from America shared the Aberdeen goals, and McKenzie counted on all three occasions for the United.
On the Aberdeen side Blackwell, Hutton, Jas. Jackson, and MacLachlan were brilliant in defence, and in an attack that scintillated at times Smith, the brothers Jackson, and Miller were seen to advantage throughout. On the United side, Hughes effected many brilliant saves, indeed he saved his side from defeat. McCloy was the better back, and Hogg and Stewart were prominent at half-back. In attack. Cunningham, Skinner, and McKenzie were best.


Aberdeen immediately attacked, and Walter Jackson cleverly beat two men before he was dispossessed by McCloy. Off the clearance Skinner got away, and delivered a fierce shot, which Blackwell saved confidently. End-to-end play ensued, but Blackwell was soon in action again, having to save from Cunningham at short range, and McLeod followed with a long effort, which the Aberdeen keeper dealt with. Smart combination on the Aberdeen right had the United goal in danger, Walter Jackson heading narrowly past, and then, at the other end, a similar effort by McKenzie met the same fate. The Aberdeen forwards again came into prominence. Off a lobbed pass by MacLachlan, Walter Jackson dashed through the defence to deliver a fast shot along the ground. Hughes, at full length, was just able to push the ball away, but the Aberdeen centre, following up on the run, sent over the bar. A judicious tackle by Forsyth dispossessed Skinner at the other end when the United centre-forward was about to shoot. Smith, for Aberdeen, got away and centred accurately, for Miller to test Hughes, and at the other Blackwell ran out and kicked away from McKenzie, and another run by the Aberdeen forwards resulted in Hughes saving at full length from Miller. A shot by Cunningham was deflected for a flag kick, and Forsyth, standing underneath the crossbar, headed out from Cunningham when a score looked certain. Once again the Aberdeen forwards got on the move, and Rankin had a powerful shot charged down by McCloy. A shot by Miller gave Aberdeen a corner, which availed his side nothing, and at the other end MacLachlan charged down a shot by Cunningham. Hughes was again called upon to deal with shots by Rankin and Walter Jackson, and, following a comer kick at the other end, Forsyth deflected a drive from Hogg over the bar for another fruitless flag kick. Skinner netted for Ayr but the whistle had previously signalled offside.


After 35 minutes' play Smith on the Aberdeen left got away on a long run, and after cutting in, centred accurately for A. Jackson to jump a great height into the air and head the ball downwards into the net. The United attacked desperately after this reverse, and Blackwell, out his goal, cleared when surrounded by opponents. The United maintained the pressure, and Blackwell was prepared for a weak shot from McKenzie, when the ball glanced off Armstrong and was deflected into the net. The United attacked with great vigour after this, and Blackwell at full length had a magnificent save from Cunnigham after he had stopped a try by McKenzie. Just on the interval, Hughes effected a brilliant save off a tremendous drive by Miller, and the teams crossed over on level terms at a goal each.


The game resumed an it had finished in the first half, the players on both sides going 'all out." Miller forged ahead for Aberdeen, and was accidentally kicked on the arm by McCloy. He had to retire to have the arm bandaged, and was off the field for eight minutes. During his absence Aberdeen took the lead. Walter Jackson was dribbling through when he was brought down by McLeod just outside the penalty area. He took the free kick himself, and simply crashed the ball into the net. Encouraged by this success, Aberdeen made the running, and Smith twice shot wide in attempts to first-time the ball past Hughes. An Ayr revival followed, and Blackwell saved cleverly from McKenzie, and was just able to reach and push away a headed ball by Skinner. After Miller's return, Aberdeen again took up the offensive. Smith repeatedly flashed past his namesake on the home side, and the Ayr defence was frequently in sore straits to get rid of his crosses. A slip by Hutton let Skinner away, and the ball ultimately went to Miller, the home outside left, who centred from the goal-line, and McKenzie, rushing in, headed past Blackwell to equalise. After this the United attacked with great vigour, but were met by a resolute defence. Headers by Skinner and McKenzie flashed just wide of the Aberdeen goal. Again Aberdeen got back to the attack, and a brilliant shot from Rankin brought an equally brilliant save by Hughes, who deflected the ball over the bar. A free kick by Walter Jackson was blocked by a wall of defenders, and for time the United backs were kept busy charging down shots by the Aberdeen forwards.


Then Ayr United took the lead from a penalty kick. Skinner blasted through, and when tackled by the Aberdeen backs fell in the penalty area, and the referee gave the spot award. McKenzie took the kick, and gave Blackwell no chance. Aberdeen retaliated in spirited fashion, and Miller was twice dispossessed when he looked like getting through. Pressure told, and with minutes left for play Walter Jackson rounded McLeod and Smith to shoot a brilliant goal. Aberdeen almost took the lead immediately afterwards. Rankin and Miller carried the ball through, and as a last resort Hughes threw himself at their feet. He got the ball, but was accidentally kicked on the head by Rankin. The referee immediately stopped play, and the goalkeeper was removed to the side of the field to be treated. During Hughes' absence, Smith went into goal, but the keeper was able to resume before the close. Time arrived with Aberdeen swarming round the United goal. It was a thrilling finish to a stirring contest.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd September 1924

Ayr United Teamsheet
Hughes; Smith, McCloy; Hogg, McLeod, Stewart; Kilpatrick, Cunningham, Skinner, McKenzie, Millar
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Beresford Park, Ayr
Referee: H. Dickie, Glasgow