Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Cowdenbeath

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Jackson, Jackson, Jackson.

20/09/1924 | KO: 15:00


Cowdenbeath fell victims to Aberdeen at Aberdeen, and the Northern men thus secured their first win in the League competition this season. Although Aberdeen fully deserved to take the two points out of the game, their 3-0 victory flattered them a trifle more than the run of play justified. But the Pittodrie players were fine opportunists, and that was where the difference lay between the two teams. While the Aberdeen men turned to good account the opportunities that offered, the Cowdenbeath forwards allowed at least two golden chances to go abegging. In the first few minutes, the Fife club's defenders were rushed off their feet, and, with an early reverse, the team was always fighting an uphill battle. The two wing players, Pullar and Wilson, were always trying, and Devlin was generally on the alert, but the placing at times was a trifle erratic. For Aberdeen, Walter Jackson brought off the good things that have been expected from him during the past few weeks, and his "hat trick" was a notable performance. His brother, Alec Jackson, a young layer, also gave a good account of himself.

Source: The Scotsman, 22nd September 1924

With 3-0 victory over Cowdenbeath Pittodrie on Saturday, Aberdeen registered their first win of the season in this year's Scottish League competition. All the goals were scored by Walter Jackson at centre-forward, who now claims six of the seven goals to the credit of the Aberdeen team this season. The winners were clearly the better side in what was always an interesting game. The Fife team were plucky and their forwards nippy. They frequently raided the home defence, but, after Jackson completed his "hat trick" in the second half, the visitors were always well held. There was a big improvement in the play of the Aberdeen attack. This was largely due to the cleverness of Paton, who not only did well for himself, but was largely responsible for the fine service of the ball to the brothers Jackson, who responded in brilliant style. Blackwell in the home goal had not much to do, and Hutton and Forsyth, although hustled at times, were equal to the calls upon them. James Jackson shone at centre-half, and MacLachlan and Edward also did well, the latter striking a good game in the second half. Forward, forward, the honours went to Paton and the brothers Jackson. For individual cleverness Paton was the best on view, and the Jacksons made the most of the chances they got. Rankin and Smith on the left were not nearly so effective as the right wing. Cowdenbeath were well served by Falconer in goal, and Murray was the better back, his recovery work being exceedingly good. The visitors were not well served at half-back, and failure of support from this department weakened an attack whose play suggested big possibilities. Of the forwards, Rankin and Leonard were best, and Devlin was a dashing raider who might have been better plied with the ball from the wings. There were about 12,000 spectators.


At an early stage Aberdeen gave evidence of superiority. Following clever play on the right and a miss by Hopewell, W. Jackson caused Falconer to save at full length. The pressure was maintained, and in quick succession two corners fell to Aberdeen without their being improved upon. Falconer saved at close range from Rankin, and, following a raid by the visitors' left, the Aberdeen defence had to clear from a flag kick. Aberdeen took the lead in eleven minutes. MacLachlan slipped the ball forward to W. Jackson, who cleverly dribbled past Hopewell to shoot into the corner of the net from near the 18 yards line. After the setback, Cowdenbeath were seen to more advantage. They attacked in a body, and, with the Aberdeen defenders failing to get in a decisive clearance, the visitors were unfortunate to have several shots charged down, and Blackwell must have been glad when he was adjudged to have been fouled when his goal was in danger during a scrimmage. Paton showed brilliant trickery for Aberdeen, and fast wing work by A. Jackson had the Cowdenbeath goal in danger. Falconer just managed to reach a ball from Paton. and at the home goal a centre by Pullar was missed by Devlin. Following a run and centre by Smith, A. Jackson missed narrowly with a fierce shot, and off a cross from the outside right W. Jackson headed against the crossbar. Rankin for Cowdenbeath was noticeable for clever leading-up work, and Leonard and Letham shot wide, but towards the interval play again turned in favour of Aberdeen, who looked more like increasing than losing their lead, A Jackson hitting the post with a fine shot.


Cowdenbeath came very near equalising just after the resumption. A cross from Wilson was missed by defenders and attackers alike until Pullar ultimately sent wide. Following this, Aberdeen took the game in hand and proved themselves masters of the situation afterwards. W. Jackson was twice pulled up when he looked like getting through, and Falconer had to hold an overhead shot by Rankin. After 15 minutes Paton intercepted a clearance by Murray and let A Jackson away with a clear field. The winger cut in and shot with great force, the ball striking the upright and being deflected to Walter Jackson who practically walked it into the net. After this the Aberdeen forwards and half-backs worked splendidly together, and it seemed odds on the lead being increased. Paton twice came near to counting. A run by Pullar ended with Blackwell saving, but play was soon back the other end, and, off a finely judged centre by his brother, W. Jackson breasted through a third goal. Aberdeen made light of the opposition for a time, but Cowdenbeath were plucky. Following a free kick, Blackwell saved off a headed effort by Leonard, and Devlin, after beating both the home backs, shot wildly over, but Aberdeen were not stretched to retain their lead.

Source: Press & Journal, 22nd September 1924

Cowdenbeath Teamsheet
Falconer; Murray, Hopewell; Letham, Birrell, Chambers; Pullar, Rankin, Devlin, Leonard, Wilson
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: H. Russell, Glasgow