Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 1 Morton

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Morton

Div 1 (Old)
Morton scorers: Campbell

22/09/1924 | KO: 11:00


Aberdeen and Morton had a stiff fight in their Scottish League fixture, before an autumn holiday crowd of 15,000 at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, yesterday, and it was only in the last minute of the match that Morton gained the victory by the only goal scored. The winning shot was sent in by Campbell, centre forward, and struck the upright before landing in the net. It was a most exciting finish to a keenly contested match. The defence of each side was a strong feature, though that of the Greenock team was the steadier. Their last minute defeat disappointed both the Aberdeen players and their supporters.

Source: The Scotsman, 23rd September 1924

As the result of a last-minute goal defeat by Greenock Morton at Pittodrie yesterday, Aberdeen are now established in the bottom place the Scottish League table. A hard and fast game was remarkable for its fluctuations, but if Aberdeen accounted for the bulk of the pressure and were, In way, unlucky to be beaten, Morton must be given credit for a dour display in defence and smartness in attack. There were times when the Aberdeen attack threatened to overwhelm the visitors' defence, yet the latter stuck gamely to their task, and never wavered, while they got great assistance from an exceedingly clever and nippy set of forwards, who were always dangerous. Coming at such a late stage, when everything had been prepared for a goalless draw, the goal surprised the spectators, but Morton's success was the reward for persistence.

Many Exciting Incidents.

It at times not touching a high standard, the play was always interesting, and there were many exciting Incidents in the vicinity of both goals. For the first half-hour, during which each goalkeeper was well tested, and both frequently in difficulties, there was little between the teams, but for the 15 minutes before the interval Aberdeen maintained persistent pressure without meeting with reward. In the second half there was a period of 20 minutes during which the home team could do everything but score. Fotheringham, in the visitors' goal, followed up a fine first-half display by numerous clever saves. He was splendidly supported, and many shots that would otherwise have found the net were either charged down or deflected. On one occasion the Morton goal had miraculous escape. Walter Jackson burst through until his way was barred by Fotheringham, who left his goal. The Aberdeen man forced the ball past the goalkeeper, and it was rolling slowly over the line into the empty goal, when Hyslop, by a great effort, reached it and deflected it outside the post. That was only one of the many thrilling incidents which abounded in the game. At both ends forwards of both sides were often within an ace of scoring, and frequently it was only a matter of inches that separated success from failure in this respect. Although there was perhaps more than usual of the element of bad luck for would-be scorers, they had plenty of scoring chances, and of these the majority fell to Aberdeen. The goal that ultimately decided the destination of the points was a rather indecisive affair. Campbell, the Morton centre-forward found himself in possession on the 18 yards line, and to the left. He shot before the Aberdeen backs could reach him, and the ball struck the upright, and rebounded into the net, Blackwell making a desperate but futile effort to save.


Unfortunate to lose, Aberdeen gave an impressive display. In attack the brothers Jackson and Paton were easily best, but their work fell short of their Saturday's display, and there was tendency at times to cramp the play. Rankin worked hard without accomplishing much; Smith did better in the second than in the first half, but the wing was not particularly effective in either period. The play of the half-backs was mediocre. Edward was the best placer of the trio, but was weak in tackling, and Jackson and MacLachlan were not so successful as usual, the centre-half, despite much hard work, seldom getting the ball away to advantage, and could not master the wing opposed to him. The backs ware none too reliable, there was a big improvement in the play of Hutton, albeit he frequently kicked far too strongly. Blackwell had several excellent saves, and was in no way to blame for the defeat. The weakness of the team lay at half-back and the wing.


Morton were a better balanced team. Fotheringham was in wonderful form in goal, and at back Buchanan and Orr, especially the latter, were unflinching backs, who set a rare example of tenacity. Hyslop was the strong power at half-back, and in attack Aberdeen did not have a winng of the French-McKay class. The outside man was in brilliant form, and his crafty partner kept him well plied after drawing the opposition. Gordon at inside left was always ready to shoot, and Campbell was a hustler. The least impressive of the line was McPhail, but all over there was more craft in the play of the winners than in that of Aberdeen. In the second half the attendance increased to about14,000.

Source: Press & Journal, 23rd September 1924

Morton Teamsheet
Fotheringham; Buchanan, Orr; Gourlay, Hyslop, Stewart; French, McKay, Campbell, Gordon, McPhail
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Calder, Ritherglen