Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Queens Park

HT Score: Aberdeen 3 - 0 Queens Park

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Miller, Paton, Jackson.
Queens Park scorers: J. Russell

29/09/1924 | KO: 16:30


At Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen. Aberdeen played a winning game from the start, and when half-time arrived and they led by three goals their supporters, numbering between 4000 and 5000, considered victory had been secured. Unfortunately for Queen's Park, they had to play the greater part of the match with only ten men. Dickson, their left half, having been injured within the first fifteen minutes of the game, and having to go off. Until the last twenty minutes of the match, when the Amateurs rallied, the Aberdeen simply overran the opposition, and the visitors' goal had numerous narrow escapes. The scorers for the winners were:- Miller (inside left), Paton (inside right), and Walter Jackson (centre forward), and for Queen's Park J. Russell (centre forward) netted. The home defence was not seriously tested, and the forwards had matters pretty much their own way, although they did not prove very dangerous in front of goal. The best for the winners were J. Jackson, Davidson, MacLauchlan, A. Jackson, and Paton; and for the Queen's Park, J. M. Pirie, R. Gillespie, R. Crawford, and J. B. McAlpine.

Source: The Scotsman, 30th September 1924

At Pittodrie yesterday Aberdeen continued their upward march, when they defeated Queen's Park by 3 goals to 1. The winners were immeasurably the better team, and the score did not flatter them. It was unfortunate that H. Dickson, the Amateurs' left-half, sustained an injury which necessitated his retiral from the game after 15 minutes' play. His absence undoubtedly meant a lot to the Amateurs, but it is questionable if it affected the result. Aberdeen all over were much the better team, and had they asserted themselves at close quarters, might have registered an even more substantial victory. The Amateurs' goal had undergone several narrow escapes before Miller met an accurate cross from A. Jackson to head into the net. Only three, minutes had elapsed when W. Jackson smashed the ball against the cross-bar, and Paton met the rebound to score easily. Aberdeen continued on top, and shortly afterwards Walter Jackson met a grand pass from his brother to turn the ball into the net. This concluded the scoring in the first half, during which Blackwell was not called upon to deal with a single direct shot from a Queen's Park attacker, and Aberdeen easily merited their lead of 3-0 at the interval. The tale was repeated in the second half, when Aberdeen easily held the upper hand, and but for indulgence in ornamental work, might easily have increased their lead. McAlpine and Crawford had raids for the Amateurs, but their attacks were generally kept out of Blackwell's range. A quarter of an hour from the finish, Crawford forced a corner, and following a scrimmage in front of the Aberdeen goal, J. Russell forced the ball into the net. This rounded off the scoring. For Aberdeen, J. Jackson, Davidson, and MacLachlan were conspicuous in defence, and Paton and A. Jackson attack. The Amateurs were best served by J. Barrie, A. Graham, and R Gillespie in defence, and J. Crawford and J. B. McAlpine in attack. There were 6000 spectators.

Source: Press & Journal, 30th September 1924

Queens Park Teamsheet
T. S. Gibbs; J. B. Barrie, J. Graham; W. S. King, R. Gillespie, H. Dickson; J. Crawford, L. McBean, J. Russell, W. S. Chalmers, J. B. McAlpine
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Small, Dundee