Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Third Lanark

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Smith, Jackson, Jackson.
Third Lanark scorers: Hutton (o.g.)

20/12/1924 | KO: 14:15


Third Lanark put up a plucky but futile fight at Pittodrie, where they opposed Aberdeen's nippier and more methodical team, which was victorious by three goals to one. The Cathkin Park team's goal was as a result of a mistake on the part of Hutton, Aberdeen's right back, who turned the ball against his own goalkeeper. The home goals were scored by Smith and A. Jackson, the latter getting a point in each half of the match. The visitors had a fair share of the play, but were disjointed in attack, and their finishing, especially that of McInally, left much to be desired. It was unfortunate that Third Lanark's centre-forward was incapacitated in a collision and had to leave the field ten minutes from the finish. For the visitors, Jarvie was blameless in goal, Brown and Williamson steady defenders, and F. Walker and Blair the smartest forwards. For the home side, J. Jackson, Edward, and Hutton were the best in defence, and in the forward line the brothers W. and A. Jackson were easily outstanding.

Source: The Scotsman, 22nd December 1924

Aberdeen showed good form to beat Third Lanark at Pittodrie by 3 goals to 1, and thus avenge a 4-0 defeat earlier in the season. The result very materially improves Aberdeen's position in regard to the question of relegation, but the club is still numbered among those whose continuance in the First Division of the League can be regarded as doubtful.

In a well-contested game Aberdeen, were the methodical and nippier side. They had a distinct advantage at back, half-back, and forward, and although not expert at utilising opportunities, were generally more dangerous than their opponents in front of goal. Blackwell had several fine saves, notably off a great drive by McInally, and from a header by Williamson. At full back, Hutton and Forsyth displayed a capital understanding. The right back accidentally put the ball through his own goal, but played soundly throughout, and he and Forsyth were to be preferred to the Cathkin pair. At half-back, James Jackson got through a tremendous amount of work in attack and defence, and he kept the balance of the team well. Edward and MacLachlan in the wing half positions were equally effective. Forward the honours were carried off by A. Jackson, W. Jackson, and Smith. The outside right was the most dangerous raider on the field, and always had the beating oi the visitors' defence. W. Jackson at inside left was mainly responsible for the open tactics pursued by the Aberdeen attack, and accurate passing was a feature his game. Smith showed great speed and crossed many dangerous balls. Bowie, who made his first appearance at Pittodrie, distributed the ball well, but he was not particularly effective near goal and Cosgrove, if clever at times, detracted from his play by his apparent lack of speed and clumsiness of action.
Jarvie in the Third Lanark goal was blameless for the defeat, and McGill at right back was superior to his partner who was never equal to holding A. Jackson in check. Williamson and J. Walker were always prominent at half-back. The forwards did not work well together, Blair and McInally being best, although the latter was not effective in front of goal. The extreme wingers, Reid and Archibald did not make the most of their opportunities. Fourteen thousand spectators enjoyed the game.


Aberdeen went ahead at the start. A Jackson carried the ball along, and, after beating Brown, crossed for Smith to run in and crash the ball into the net with a terrific left-foot drive from ten yards range. The visitors appealed, evidently for offside, but the referee turned down their claim. Aberdeen kept up the attack, and after A. Jackson had centred again, Bowie shot wide. After this the Third Lanark attack developed liveliness, and after Blackwell had cleared from Reid, they forced a corner, which proved fruitless. The Aberdeen right continued to be a source of danger for the visitors, and off a cross by A. Jackson, Cosgrove headed against the crossbar. The visitors had a turn of attacking, but Blackwell was not tested, and subsequently, off a cross by A. Jackson, Smith shot high for Aberdeen, and later Bowie headed info Jarvie's hands. A shot by J. Jackson was deflected behind by Brown, and following the corner, J. Jackson's shot skimmed the bar. A raid and centre by the Cathkin right ended with McInally shooting over. For a time after this, the exchanges favoured Aberdeen, whose half-backs and forwards showed fine combination. Walter Jackson sent wide, and Bowie shot too precipitately later when was given a chance, and Jarvie easily cleared. The pressure by the home team was maintained and several times the inside trio nullified clever leading-up work by their over-anxiety which led to their getting bunched. After Smith had placed accurately from the flag, J. Jackson shot wide. Reid and Archibald, the visitors' extreme wingers, headed several raids into home territory, but they centred behind. Following a corner by Smith, Cosgrove headed wide for Aberdeen. Five minutes from the interval Bowie, near midfield, headed to A. Jackson, and that player ran on to shoot a fine goal from inside the 18 yards line. The pealed for "offside," but for the second time the referee decided against them. Near the interval, Third Lanark attacked in determined fashion and Blackwell had twice to fist away from the extreme wingers, and a flag kick was cleared. Aberdeen deserved their lead of 2-0 at half-time.


On resuming, Smith forced a corner for Aberdeen, but it availed nothing, and at the other end Forsyth cleverly stopped Reid. Following this Jarvie executed fine one-handed save, off a header by W. Jackson. The visitors subsequently pressed for a time, but danger did not develop, so well did J. Jackson, Hut ton, and Forsyth defend. Cosgrove just missed with a swerving shot after A. Jackson had centred, and Archibald was called upon to field a high ball from near the touch line. At the other end A. Jackson finished a wonderful dribble by shooting over. The Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape when McInally met a clearance by Forsyth, and was following up to shoot when Blackwell dashed out and kicked clear. The visitors subsequently forced a corner, and McInally shot over from close range. After sixteen minutes' play, Aberdeen got another goal. Smith centred accurately, and A. Jackson, with his head, placed the ball neatly out of Jarvie's reach. At this stage J. Walker had an Injury attended to at the side of the field, but he was only absent a short time. One of the best shots of the match was to the credit of McInally, who fired in a lightning ball from 25 yards range, and Blackwell cleverly tipped it over the bar. Off the corner kick Williamson shot over. At this stage the visitors were giving a much Improved display in attack. Following another flag kick, Blackwell fisted away from McInally, several Third Lanark players claiming that the ball was over the line, but the referee, who was located at a goalpost, had no hesitation in declaring "no goal." The visitors maintained the offensive, and they were in luck's way when in attempting to clear a ball from Reid, Hutton turned it past his own goalkeeper. In another rush on the Aberdeen , goal McInally was injured, and had to be assisted off. He did not resume, but it was learned afterwards that he was not seriously hurt. In the closing stages Aberdeen attacked strongly. MacLachlan and Edward both missed the mark with hard drives, and Jarvie fisted clear from A. Jackson. Aberdeen did not play so well in the second period as in the first, but there was no doubting their superiority.

Source: Press & Journal, 22nd December 1924

Third Lanark Teamsheet
Jarvie; McGill, Brown; Frame, Williamson, Walker (J.); Reid, Blair, McInally, Walker (F.), Archibald
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: A. Allan, Glasgow