Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Dundee scorers: Halliday 16, Duncan

01/01/1925 | KO: 12:00


Dundee's win over Aberdeen at Dens Park was well deserved. They were much the superior side, especially in the front rank, where the home men moved with a pleasant swing throughout the entire game. The only dangerous attacker was Smith, the left winger, but his raids were confined to the first half. J. Jackson was the strongest half-back, but the wing halves failed to hold the home forwards, who were in rampant form. Hutton was a valuable man in holding up attacks, but he made two slips that were almost fatal, and which marred his exhibition. Forsyth was much the steadier back, while Blackwell was very sound. Thomson was the finest defender on the field, while the Dark Blue half-back line was exceedingly strong. McNab, the young recruit, showed considerable improvement on previous performances. All the forwards did splendidly. As an all-round combination, Dundee were well ahead of the visitors. The ground was practically covered with snow, which was falling for a portion of the game. There were about 10,000 present. Halliday and Duncan were the scorers for Dundee.

Source: The Scotsman, 2nd January 1925

Encounters between Aberdeen and Dundee always provide stirring tussles, and yesterday's return northern derby at Dens Park, where victory went to Dundee by 2 goals to 0, proved no exception. The ground and atmospheric conditions could scarcely have been worse. Following a snowfall and heavy rain which prevailed when play began, the pitch was covered with slush, and with the surface very treacherous, the players had a trying time. They were soon covered with mud, and although both teams had a change of attire at the interval they presented a bedraggled appearance when they trooped off at the finish.
Although Dundee won 2-0, and deserved the victory, there was not a great deal of disparity between the sides, but there was this difference that the home team forwards adapted themselves better to the conditions and managed to accept two of the changes that came their way. There were two periods of the game in which Aberdeen held a distinct pull. In the opening ten minutes they had the home goal several times in danger, and in the first twenty minutes of the second half applied persistent pressure without reward. At other times, Dundee held the advantage, and over all the game carried more punch in attack and opened out the play better.
Blackwell, Hutton, and Forsyth put up a stout defence, and the reverse cannot be laid at their door. The keeper effected some capital saves with a ball that was difficult to hold, and the backs tackled vigorously and kicked strongly, Hutton especially so, although the conditions favoured the man in possession. Edward and MacLachlan were effective wing halves, but Jas. Jackson was not so dominant as usual. The tactics adopted by the Aberdeen forwards were largely responsible for the defeat. They failed to consistently keep the ball swinging, and adherence to close work and tip-tapping made them prey to the robust Dundee defenders. Smith and the brothers Jackson were frequently prominent, but the left wingers did not get the ball often enough into the centre, especially in the first half of the game. W. Jackson had at least one brilliant individual effort, but there was a tendency on his part, too, to try too much, and Alec Jackson, although playing well, fell below his usual standard. Cosgrove failed to do himself justice. His passes to his wing partner were usually short, and the slowness of movement evident in previous games was again apparent. Bowie did not shine as a leader and was often lacking in anticipation in taking up position. Altogether the play of the line was ragged, and the little shooting indulged in was poor.
Dundee were well balanced forward, where Halliday, McDonald, and Knox were most effective, and that, too, despite the centre-forward missing two easy chances of scoring. Rankin and McNab were sterling half-backs, especially the latter, who proved himself a good defender and a forcing attacker. Thomson was very steady at left back, and Gilmore, his partner, did well after a very indifferent start. With the exception of a particularly fine shot by Walter Jackson, Britton had an easy time in goal. There were about 13,000 spectators.


Aberdeen kicked off, and immediately attacked, Edward sending past with a fast grounder, which, had it been on the mark, would have beaten Britton. Although they had to face the blizzard, Aberdeen in the subsequent minutes continued to maintain pressure, but in face of the wretched conditions accuracy of movement was impossible and Britton was not tested. In a break away by Dundee, Halliday got clean through, but Forsyth effected a wonderful recovery. For a time after this play favoured Dundee, and McLean tried a shot which swerved wide of Blackwell's charge. Following this, McDonald lifted over a centre, and the ball was returned in front of goal by Knox. With the goal at his mercy Halliday missed it completely, and then Duncan, with all the goal to shoot at, sent wide. Following this escape, the Aberdeen goal figured in another thrill when Blackwell conceded a corner off a soft shot by McNab. The danger was cleared after a scrimmage in front of the Aberdeen goal. The home players at this stage were adapting themselves better to the conditions, and, as the result, were responsible for the major share of attacking. Aberdeen, however, defended well, and Blackwell was not tested.


Dundee took the lead in 16 minutes. MacLachlan conceded a corner, and Knox lifted the ball well over from the flag for Halliday to head into the net. At the time it looked as if Blackwell was impeded by another Dundee forward. Aberdeen retaliated with a raid on the left, and Smith shot narrowly past. Then at the other end Blackwell saved finely from Halliday at the expense of a fruitless corner. Aberdeen again got going and Smith forced a flag kick off Gilmour, and, following it, Walter Jackson shot wide. Aberdeen were showing improvement, their forwards keeping the ball swinging, and this kept Gilmore and Thomson busy, but little danger came the way of Britton. McNab had Blackwell in action, and, following this, Cosgrove just missed with a ball that rolled across the home goal. At the Aberdeen end, McDonald centred, and Halliday missed badly. Then Walter Jackson executed a dribble, and finished up with a brilliant shot on the run, Britton saving well. The Aberdeen inside left followed with another try, which the Dundee goalkeeper gathered with difficulty. Play was even towards the interval, but Blackwell had to save from Duncan, after which McLean had a wild try, the ball going nearer the corner flag than the goal.


Aberdeen were first to attack, and Alec Jackson centred behind. For a time the play favoured the visitors, although the forwards could not get in a shot. Alec Jackson forced a corner, but failed to keep the ball in play. The pressure was maintained, and James Jackson forced a corner, Dundee finding relief from a difficult situation through the medium of a kick for a foul on the goalkeeper. In a raid by the Dundee forwards, Forsyth very cleverly pulled up Halliday. Later Duncan sent wide. Aberdeen got back on the attack, and in an effort to stop a rush by Smith, McNab almost put through his own goal, the ball going behind only inches wide. Off the corner kick Britton fisted clear. Aberdeen continued to press, but still had nothing to show for it, a state of affairs which did credit to the Dundee defence. Blackwell was called upon to save a long drive by Rankin and at Britton's end the keeper had to field from Smith. The game again took a turn in favour of Dundee, and following a scrimmage in front of goal Blackwell had to save from a shot by Duncan. A shot by Bowie gave Aberdeen a corner, but defence prevailed.


With 30 minutes of the period gone Dundee obtained a second goal. Several efforts had been charged down by Aberdeen defenders, when McLean manoeuvred out to the right, and let go what was obviously meant to be a shot for goal. Instead, the ball came down beside Duncan, and that player guided it into the net, sliding over the goal-line after it. McNab followed with a shot that Blackwell only saved at full length. At the other end, A. Jackson forced a corner for Aberdeen, but again failed to keep the ball in play, and at Blackwell's end Rankin tested the Aberdeen keeper from long range. In the closing minutes Aberdeen made desperate efforts to break down the home defence, but they could not press home the attack, although two corners came their way, and they had to admit defeat by 2 goals to 0.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd January 1925

Dundee Teamsheet
Britton; Gilmore, Thomson; Irving, Rankin, McNab; Knox, McLean, Halliday, Duncan, McDonald
Attendance: 13,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: J. Rowe, Glasgow