Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 1 Hibernian

Div 1 (Old)

05/01/1925 | KO: 14:15


The Hibernians secured victory over Aberdeen at Pittodrie Park by the odd goal of the match. On play it was considered by the 10,000 spectators that a draw would have been a fairer result, as the corner kick by Walker which entered the net was characterised as "a mere fluke." On the other hand, the Aberdeen players came to dread every occasion on which Walker had to take a corner kick, and their uneasiness was apparent on more than one occasion. In the last minute of the game W. Jackson almost secured the equaliser with a header, which hit the crossbar. Apart from this, Aberdeen were never really dangerous. The Hibernians adopted better tactics in the first half, but in the second period were nearly always on the defensive. McColl, Templeton, and Keir put up a fine display for Hibernians, and Dunn and Ritchie were their most aggressive forwards. On the home side Hutton was the outstanding defender, J. Jackson best at half-back, and W. Jackson was the only forward who made a good show.

Source: The Scotsman, 6th January 1925

Aberdeen, further endangered their continuance in the First Division of the Scottish League yesterday when at Pittodrie they allowed themselves to be beaten by Hibernian. The deciding and only goal was a "tragic" affair, and was obtained midway through the first half, at a time when neither side looked like scoring. The snow on the pitch on Saturday was transformed into ice yesterday, and it was only by the liberal use of sand that the ground was made playable. In consequence the foothold was insecure and the players, especially the attackers, played under restraint. Several quite failed to do themselves justice. There was not a good forward on view, although W. Jackson and Smith for Aberdeen, and Dunn and Halligan for Hibernian, did their best to redeem their departments from mediocrity. Both sets of defenders played well. Hutton, J. Jackson, and MacLachlan, for Aberdeen, did well in this department, and McGinnigle, Templeton, and Kerr were prominent for Hibernian.


Aberdeen began in promising style, and Forbes shot over after forcing play on the right. Hibs retaliated, and from an obviously offside position Walker sent wide. On the ice-bound surface the players had to go warily, and the use of restraint was not only excusable, but sensible, in the circumstances. Ritchie caused a flutter in the home camp when he dashed in and shot with his left foot, Blackwell gathering and clearing with decision. Play veered round in favour of Aberdeen, and after W. Jackson had a try blocked, and following upon this Harper saved from Forbes's head. Later the home inside left twice tested Scotland's goalkeeper with good tries, and after further pressure by Aberdeen J. Jackson just missed with first-time drive. The game was in need of something to liven it up, and when Halligan got in a powerful shot Blackwell did well to save.
With twenty minutes played, Hibs got a corner-kick. It looked to badly placed by Walker, and yet the ball landed short of the goal, and bounced into the net without another player having touched it. Edward went to meet the ball from the flag-kick, but, evidently thinking it was going behind, left it, and so put Blackwell off his guard. It was the first goal scored direct from a corner since the rule was amended, but was a tremendous fluke.
Hibs were adapting themselves better to the conditions, and, keeping the play open, were more dangerous, even if not attacking frequently as Aberdeen. A ball from Ritchie was misheaded for a corner by Hutton, and Walker nearly repeated his earlier feat from the flag, but on this occasion the ball curled on to the top of the net. Little was being seen of the Aberdeen forwards, Smith alone doing anything of note. Hibs continued to be the same dangerous lot, and Shaw just missed with a free kick which Miller had feinted to take. In another raid the Edinburgh forwards tested Blackwell from long range. Aberdeen had spasmodic attacks, but were never really dangerous, the forwards failing to adapt themselves to the ground conditions.

The second half opened quietly, but the Hibernian attack maintained the stronger threat, although only "byes"' resulted. It was left to W. Jackson to have Aberdeen's first try, but his direction was bad, as was Forbes's when the latter nullified sustained Aberdeen pressure. Smith brightened up the game when he lifted over a centre and Harper had to run out and fist clear. Later J. Jackson forced his way past three opponents but, hampered, shot wide. Harper was again in action when he ran out and fielded from Forbes. Play continued to be in Aberdeen's favour, but there was a lack of punch in attack, and with the Edinburgh defence covering well Harper had nothing to test his abilities. Pretty much the same story was told when Hibs took up the attack. Forwards were not inclined to risk much, with the result that defenders got matters pretty much their own way.
Walter Jackson worked in to deliver a fast grounder, which Harper saved, and then Templeton was lucky to get in the way of what must have been a sure counting shot by the same Aberdeen forward. Play was seldom away from Hibernian territory, but McGinnigle and Templeton defended splendidly. W. Jackson tried a shot from 35 yards, but Harper saved easily. He was more seriously tested later when he jumped up and cleared from a corner kick by Alec Jackson. Ultimately Hibs got away, and Dunn was very near with a fast cross-shot. On the eve of the final whistle Aberdeen almost equalised. Walter Jackson heading against the crossbar off a free kick taken by Edward. It was Aberdeen's game as far as pressure went, but the half-backs failed to keep the ball low and the forwards never combined well. A draw would have been a fair result, neither team was worthy of a goal, and that which fell Hibs was a fluke.

Source: Press & Journal, 6th January 1925

Hibernian Teamsheet
Harper; McGinnigle, Templeton; Kerr, Miller, Shaw; Ritchie Dunn, McColl, Halligan, Walker
Attendance: 13,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Dougray, Barrhead
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead