Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 0 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 0 - 2 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup First Round
Aberdeen scorers: Pirie, Pirie.

24/01/1925 | KO: 14:45


The defeat of the Hibernians on their own ground by Aberdeen was a notable instance of current form being discounted by the Cup tie element. The Hibernians started firm favourites, but the visitors seemed to have caught the Cup tie spirit in greater measure, and their exploitation of what are popularly known as "shock" tactics went far to establish their success. There was no doubt about Aberdeen being good winners. They had to fight harder than the score might suggest, but every man seemed keyed up to his best pitch, and go-ahead tactics succeeded where Hibernian craft failed. It was their speedy dashes on the wings that enabled Aberdeen to take up a strong position early in the game. Smith and A. Jackson outpaced the Hibernian defenders, and Pirie, a strong, bustling centre, was quick enough to score a couple of well-taken goals. In both instances he put the ball well out of the reach of Harper, who made no attempt to save. Aberdeen's efforts to consolidate the position were no less meritorious than their spurt to take the lead. They had a strong player in Hutton at centre-half, around whom the other defenders rallied splendidly. The Hibernians made a gallant effort to save the tie in the second half, but while they were able to keep play largely in their opponents' ground, their finishing was erratic. In both periods of the game Ritchie, although he got little of the ball, had some of the nearest calls for goal. To McColl, however, fell the best chances to score, and while he shot well on occasion, there were times when he failed badly. The Hibernians showed little of their reputed team play - they were not allowed to settle - but the forwards were chiefly to blame for an unusually early exit from the Cup ties. It was a good, stirring game, tapering off a little in the second half, but providing excellent fare to the crowd of 20,000. The drawings at the gates and stand, after deducting tax, amounted to £910.

Source: The Scotsman, 26th January 1925

Aberdeen, accomplished a wonderful performance at Easter Road, where, by 2 goals to 0, they administered the knock-out blow to Hibernian. The result was the more remarkable because of the fact that Hibernian had taken, four league points off Aberdeen this season and, with the identical team that did duty on Saturday, had dismissed Aberdeen and appeared in the final of the competition in two successive years. The result was a great personal triumph for the Aberdeen players, who displayed the team spirit in a marked degree. In the first half, their fleet-footed attackers swept the Hibernian defenders off their feet, and with a two-goal lead at the interval, the winners concentrated on retaining their advantage in the second half, and succeeded admirably in their purpose. They were much the better team on the day's play. Their resolution and skill would not be denied, and every member of the team was positively at the top of his form. It was a gruelling and exciting struggle, which kept 20,000 spectators thrilled from start finish, and it was the general opinion among the onlookers that on Saturday's form it will take an extraordinary good team to get the better of the Pittodrie combination in this season's competition.
Every member of the team appeared to be thoroughly tuned for the occasion, and theirs was a remarkably enthusiastic display. In the first half the half-hacks and forwards never adopted close passing. They kept the ball swinging, and utilising the great speed of A. Jackson and Smith on the wings and the bustle of Pirie at centre-forward to the fullest extent, they unsettled the usually reliable Hibernian defenders. The half-backs and backs of the losers were never able to cope with the extreme wingers, and with Bruce, Pirie, and W. Jackson opening out the game and shooting at every available opportunity, it was small wonder that the opposing rear divisions wavered. On the other hand, the Aberdeen half-backs kept such a firm grip of the Hibernian inside forwards that long passing was never allowed to develop to any extent, and except for flashes by for Ritchie on the right their indulgence in individual tactics were effectively countered by a set of defenders who systematically covered each other up. The policy of resorting to a defensive game in the second half after the issue had been made apparently safe was easily justified by the result, but even then Aberdeen's spasmodic raids were always fraught with danger.
From goal outwards the Aberdeen team played magnificently. Individually, each did his part to merit a success in which speed and tactics played so conspicuous a part. Hibernian were never the same effective force. Apart from Harper, the defence was slower and less reliable and resourceful than Aberdeen. The back line compared unfavourably, and, quite apart from their badly-directed shooting, the forwards, with the exception of Ritchie, were never the same effective force as the Aberdeen van, whose work in the first half amazed the spectators and nonplussed the Edinburgh team's defence.


Aberdeen kicked off, and their initial rush finished with Smith centring to the top of the net. McColl retaliated for Hibernian, but Forsyth dispossessed him. The ball, however, went to Walker, who shot on the run. but sent wide. Aberdeen immediately got back to attack, and, off a cross by A. Jackson, R. Bruce just missed the goal with a very fast header. At the other end D. Bruce miskicked, but Blackwell got possession and cleared, and A. Jackson again got away to centre. The ball was headed clear by McGinnigle, but W. Jackson dashed in and shot narrowly over. Following a period of midfield play, Smith showed a clean pair of heels to Kerr and McGinnigle, and his cross was headed into Harper's hands by Pirie. The play was quickly transferred, and Blackwell was called upon to save from a free kick taken by Shaw 30 yards out. Play continued at a great pace. In another raid by Aberdeen, R. Bruce shot over with a "first timer," and, at the other end, McColl, with the backs closing in upon him, volleyed in a shot which Blackwell saved splendidly. Aberdeen were kept defending for a period, but the halfbacks never allowed the Hibernian forwards to settle, and Blackwell was not called upon. Walker forced a corner off D. Bruce, but the back cleared. Both of the Aberdeen extreme wingers showed great speed, and their work contributed to Aberdeen taking the lead. Smith cut in and squared, and shots by A. Jackson and W. Jackson were blocked in front the crowded Hibernian goal.


Following another run and centre by Smith, the ball was sent out to MacLachlan, and that player in turn slipped to Pirie, who shot for the corner of the net, the ball glancing in off the upright with Harper lying at full stretch. This success came after 20 minutes' play. Hibernian retaliated in a body, and a free kick by Miller outside the Aberdeen penalty area was wasted against a wall of defenders. Alec Jackson got away on the extreme right, and was badly fouled by Shaw. The winger was injured, and had to be attended at the edge the field. While he was absent, the free kick was taken by Edward. The half-back swung the ball over, and Pirie, from eight yards out, headed into the net well out of Harper's reach. Aberdeen looked like going further ahead. Smith again flashed past the opposition and centred, and Harper brought off a brilliant save from close range. A. Jackson returned at this stage, and Aberdeen kept up the pressure. Pirie was high of the goal with a terrific drive from 20 yards, and subsequently, following runs by the Aberdeen wingers, the Hibernian defenders were kept busy. Ritchie did his best to retrieve the fortunes of Hibernian, and twice in quick succession he shot narrowly past with fast left-foot drives. Smith could always beat the Hibernian defence, and, off another cross by the left winger, Pirie had Harper in action to a ball headed backwards. Shortly afterwards Harper had to stop a fast grounder from A. Jackson, and a few moments later that player delivered a terrific shot which the international goalkeeper did well to knock down and Ritchie had another thrust for Hibernian, but his pass was neatly picked up by Blackwell. W. Jackson was hurt in a tackle, but able to carry on. Towards the interval Hibernian applied futile pressure, but the Aberdeen defence was equal to all calls. There as much amusement when a hefty clearance into touch by D. Bruce hit a policeman on the head and dislodged his helmet. Just on half-time Dunn had two shots that lacked direction, but, Aberdeen easily deserved their lead of two goals to nil.


Hibernian immediately attacked when the game resumed. D. Bruce, and then Forsyth and Hutton all putting a stop to dangerous looking raids. Smith gave Aberdeen relief with a long sprint, but was stopped by Dornan, then W. Jackson missed with a powerful drive from long range. Hutton excelled in smashing up Hibernian attacks, and against him, the trio of opposing Inside forwards got little scope. The Aberdeen inside forwards fell back to assist the defence, and it was evident that Aberdeen's policy was to concentrate on retaining the lead rather than increasing it. Ritchie from the touchline had Blackwell in action, and Halligan was only a foot wide with a fast drive. Following a run by A. Jackson. R. Bruce shot wide when favourably placed. Aberdeen returned to the attack, however, and Smith forced a corner which was cleared by Miller, and later Harper had to save from R. Bruce. The lull in the Hibernian pressure continued, and Jackson had a brilliant shot finely stopped by Harper. Following this Hibernian again applied pressure, and McColl shot wildly over from good position. At the other end W. Jackson shot wide from 40 yards range, a performance which McColl repeated from less distance at Blackwell's end. A centre by A. Jackson was headed wide by Pirie. Ritchie continued to supply the chief danger to Aberdeen, and off a centre by him Dunn headed high over. After this Blackwell had twice to run out and clear when danger threatened, and had a fine save off a centre by Walker, and MacLachlan had a timely intervention when McColl looked like going through to count. Miller, the Hibernian centre-half, shot from long range and twice Halligan was badly at fault with his direction when well placed D. Bruce was Injured and had be treated at the edge of the field. While he was absent the Aberdeen defence was hard pressed.


Blackwell saved finely from Walker, and in a desperate rally by the Hibernian forwards he effected a wonderful clearance from Halligan, who shot with great force from about three yards range, the goalkeeper catching the ball above his head. The save was a tit-bit of the game. Bruce resumed when his team was being hard pressed and assisted to find relief following a desperate scrimmage in front of Blackwell. Raids by Smith and Pirie helped ease the lot of the Aberdeen defenders, but the home attack again got going, and Blackwell had to hold a long drive by Miller. Following this, Walker forced a corner which was cleared. Aberdeen again got away on the right, and R. Bruce shot wide from A. Jackson's pass. In the last minute Hibernian forced a corner, but Aberdeen crowded in their goal, and the ball was got away, and the final whistle sounded when the ball had gone for a bye kick.

Source: Press & Journal, 26th January 1925

Hibernian Teamsheet
Harper; McGinnigle, Dornan; Kerr, Miller, Shaw; Ritchie, Dunn, McColl, Halligan, Walker
Attendance: 20,000
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: A. Allan, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead