Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Armadale

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Armadale

Scottish Cup Second Round Replay
Aberdeen scorers: Pirie 24, Pirie 41.

11/02/1925 | KO:


Aberdeen qualified for the third round of the Cup by beating Armadale in the replay at Pittodrie in a game which was always strenuous if at times a trifle scrappy. The win was merited, but Armadale, though beaten, were by no means disgraced, and they took considerable credit from the match. In some respects the tie was very much a repetition of what took place at Volunteer Park on Saturday. Against a strong-going Aberdeen attacking force, the Armadale backs and half-backs put up a dour resistance. Workers every one, they struggled gamely on, although they were fighting behind a forward line which was well beaten. Harassed as they were, they stuck to their men with fine spirit, and it was a noteworthy fact that it was two headers by Pirie that gave Aberdeen their win. Although obviously much happier and more at ease at Pittodrie than on the narrow and grassless pitch at Armadale, the Aberdeen forwards by no means had it all their own way, and it required Pirie's opportunism to carry them through. Both his goals were cleverly taken in the first half, and there was no scoring in the second period. Pirie had many other efforts to score, and so had several of his colleagues, both forwards and halves, but they found Davis in great form. Thrice he snatched headers by Pirie right under the bar, and he brought off many other brilliant clearance.

The Aberdeen goalkeeper, on the other hand, got comparatively little to do, for Hutton, Forsyth, and D. Bruce formed a barrier of defence against which the Armadale forwards hurled themselves in vain. The attempt to strengthen the Armadale attack by the introduction of Laird [Falkirk] and Lauder certainly effected an improvement, but the forwards, as a whole, were no match for the Pittodrie defenders. Hutton it was who really bottled up the Armadale forwards, for he broke up one movement after another by weight or skill, and he never gave Paterson a chance to get into his stride. The attendance was 18,000.

Source: The Scotsman, 12th February 1925

At Pittodrie Park yesterday Aberdeen beat Armadale by 2 goals to 0, and qualified for the third round of the Scottish Cup competition. This was the second meeting of the teams, the first clash at Volunteer Park, Armadale, on Saturday having resulted in a draw of one goal each.
In ideal conditions yesterday's replay attracted an attendance of fully 15,000. The number who paid for admission was 13,072, and the gate, exclusive of tax and stand amounted to £546 16s 10d.
Aberdeen fielded the same eleven as drew at Volunteer Park on Saturday, but Armadale, while relying on the same defence, sprang a last-minute surprise in attack. Laird, the ex-Rangers and Preston North End player, who has been with Falkirk this season, was introduced at inside right vice Freel, and Lauder, Partick Thistle, was at inside left in place of Ashton. The weather, although cold, was ideal for football, and the pitch was in fine condition. Previous to the start delightful music was served up by the pipers and drummers from Oakbank School.


Aberdeen attacked, but were repulsed, and a foul against MacLachlan had the Aberdeen defence in suspense until Young drove over from long range. Ultimately Aberdeen got away and, following stiff pressure, R. Bruce sent wide. Aberdeen kept up the attack, and after Pirie had hustled the 'Dale defence, R. Bruce just missed with a terrific drive. The visitors could not shake off the home team's pressure, and a cross by Alec Jackson was deflected for a corner, upon which, however, Aberdeen failed to improve. Then Smith centred, and Pirie's header was finely saved by Davies. The ball went to R. Bruce, whose header was diverted by Dick, and the ball was got away in a scrimmage.
Alec Jackson and Dick collided and both were injured, but were able to continue. Ultimately the Armadale attack came into view, but a couple of bye kicks was all their reward. Following a free kick by MacLachlan, Davies lifted the ball from Pirie's head practically below the bar, and a few seconds later Aberdeen's centre forward, off a similar kick, headed over. The play was confined to the visitors' territory, but they put up a stubborn defence, and when their turn came, their forwards showed they knew something about Cup-tie football.
Once or twice they got away, and although not getting far enough to trouble Blackwell, they had Bruce and Forsyth in difficulties. One of the best tries so far was to the credit of Bert MacLachlan who shot from three yards, only miss by inches.
After 24 minutes' play Aberdeen took the lead. MacLachlan sent a free kick into the goalmouth, and PIRIE. almost below the bar headed into the net. Undaunted by the reverse, Armadale, immediately retaliated, and Blackwell saved finely off a great first-time try by Paterson. But Aberdeen were soon back to attack, and Hutton sent narrowly over with a long drive.
Pirie hustled the Armadale defence and had a try luckily blocked by Scullion. The ball was not cleared by the back, but he managed to push it out of the reach of the onrushing Smith. Following this, the visitors' goal had another narrow escape, first Pirie and then Alec Jackson being dispossessed when in the act of shooting, Smith, too, was lively on the home left, and off a centre Pirie just missed with another header. A. Jackson forced a corner off Shaw, and although the Armadale defence survived another trying period they were fortunate to do so.
R. Bruce sent the ball against the bottom of the upright, where Davies caught and cleared, and then Pirie just failed to reach a high ball from Edward. In an isolated raid the visitors, had a chance, but Forsyth nipped in and cleared.
At this stage the referee stopped the game until he drew the attention of the police to the conduct of a coterie of Armadale supporters on the south side who were expressing themselves in rather lurid language. They were quieter after a sergeant had reproved them.
Aberdeen continued to hold the upper hand, and four minutes from the interval PIRIE got another goal. Alec Jackson beat Shaw to centre, and Pirie rushing in at top speed flashed the ball into the net off his head. It was a brilliant piece of work, and the player got an ovation from the spectators. Aberdeen were easily value for their interval lead.


Aberdeen looked as if they would at least retain their lead in the second half. They began in promising style, when Smith got away to flash over a centre, which Dick got away. After a brief spell of pressure by Armadale, Pirie, for once out of position and on the right, sent over a centre which R. Bruce headed over. In running in the Aberdeen forward collided with Davies, who was hurt, but was able to carry on after the trainer had attended to him. A free kick by Young for a foul by Hutton was finely saved by Blackwell. At this stage Armadale showed signs of revival, and although they were not dangerous, they certainly had Aberdeen on the defensive. The visitors, however, were driven back, and after R. Bruce had failed to improve upon a pass from Smith, Pirie had a magnificent shot tipped over the bar by Davies, the flag kick being cleared.
Following more Aberdeen pressure Davies saved from Smith's long express, and then recovered in time to knock down a terrific drive from R. Bruce. The Armadale defenders were being sorely tried, and it was more luck than anything else that enabled Scullion to deflect a close shot by Pirie.
A fleeting attack by Armadale brought a corner off D. Bruce, and, following the taking of it, Blackwell saved from Laird and had some difficulty in evading the onrushing forwards. He cleared, however, but was soon in action again when he ran out to pick up when Paterson looked like getting through. Tempers were inclined to get frayed, and the referee had occasion to administer cautions, which appeared to have the desired effect. Twice the visiting forwards got down on Blackwell, the keeper saving from Paterson, and then Leitch finished by shooting wide. Play became very scrappy and rather uninteresting, Aberdeen evidently being content with their lead. Pirie supplied a thrill when he ran through and looked certain to score, but he finished by sending the ball against the advancing goalkeeper. Shortly afterwards Davies cleared a high ball, with Pirie almost on top. Later the Aberdeen centre-forward was again defied by the goalkeeper, who, following more pressure by the home team, saved finely from Edward. The final whistle sounded with Aberdeen pressing.

Source: Press & Journal, 12th February 1925

Armadale Teamsheet
Davies; Scullion, Shaw, Yonng, Dick, Duff; Leitch, Laird (Falkirk), Paterson, Lauder, Chisholm
Attendance: 15,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Small, Dundee
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead