Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Mirren 1 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Mirren 0 - 2 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
St. Mirren scorers: Gillies
Aberdeen scorers: Bruce, Pirie, Jackson.

03/03/1925 | KO:


League Lift for Aberdeen

The fact that St Mirren were not at full strength when they met Aberdeen at Paisley was fully demonstrated by their play, and the men from the North won the points on their merits. In the first half Aberdeen scored twice, R. Bruce having the first and Pirie the other. It was late in the second portion when Gillies scored St Mirren's only goal, but J. Jackson increased Aberdeen's lead again before the finish. It was a poor exhibition all over, and attracted only 4000 spectators.

Source: The Scotsman, 4th March 1925

In a Scottish League game at Paisley yesterday, Aberdeen accomplished a fine performance by defeating St Mirren by 3 goals to 1. Aberdeen were at full strength, but St Mirren were without Findlay, Summers, and McCrae of the regular team. Among the spectators on the stand were the members of the Hamilton team, who meet Aberdeen in the cup-tie on Saturday.

Play opened quietly, the first incident of note to catch the eye being a showy run by Thomson. He centred to Whitelaw, but before the Saints centre could reach the ball Blackwell brought off a clever save. The Aberdeen forwards were slow to settle, but ultimately A. Jackson cleverly forced a corner off Newbiggin, but this was easily cleared, and play was transferred to Blackwell's end by Thomson, where Whtelaw headed over the bar. Aberdeen's best chance to score was by Smith, who cleverly beat the defence. He centred in front of goal for Pirie to convert, but Newbiggin in miraculous fashion jumped very high, and headed down the field. Aberdeen's goal ran a narrow escape while a series of corners were taken by Thomson. Blackwell was on the alert, and brought off several clever saves. Then the unexpected happened. Saints up to this stage had been getting the best of the outfield play, but Smith came into prominence against a reserve back in Arnott. He sent a ball to R. Bruce's foot, and without hesitation that player let drive, and scored a great goal from 30 yards out. Five minutes later Smith again beat Arnott, and passing back to Pirie, the latter had no difficulty in adding number two. These successes greatly heartened the Aberdeen team. They put in some beautiful combination, Smith and Jackson being the bright particular stars of the attack. Aberdeen held the upper hand until the interval, and Smith almost scored again. A moment later Whitelaw hit the crossbar with Blackwell beaten. The game had now become really strenuous.


On resuming, Smith had no difficulty in beating Arnott, and he tried a shot on his own which completely beat Bradford, but Newbiggin stepped back and stopped the ball under the bar when a few inches more would have meant a goal. St Mirren's front line was re-arranged, Gillies taking the centre position and Whitelaw going to inside right. The change worked well, but it did not bring the result which the home team desired. A. Jackson came more into prominence this half than he had done earlier. He had several delightful runs which seriously threatened the Saints' defence. Where Aberdeen excelled most was in the back division, where D. Bruce and Forsyth were incomparably superior to Newbiggin and Arnott. For this reason alone Aberdeen's forwards were dangerous every time they initiated a run. Smith had several fine runs and beautiful centres, but Bradford, single handed, brought off numerous brilliant saves. The Saints' best chance to score this half was offered to Gebbie, but he dallied when he should have shot, and Hutton cleared. Thomson was working his way into scoring position when the referee awarded him a free kick. Thomson took the kick, and missed the goal inches only. With 15 minutes to go, Aberdeen were leading by two goals. Play continued keen until the end. Gillies got through to count for St Mirren, but Alec Jackson secured a third goal for Aberdeen. Aberdeen had the better of the game throughout, and won because they had seized their few real scoring opportunities.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd March 1925

St. Mirren Teamsheet
Bradford; Arnott, Newbiggin; Morrison, Barclay, McDonald, Morgan, Gillies, Whitelaw, Gebbie, Thomson
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: St Mirren Park (Love Street), Paisley
Referee: T. Small, Dundee