Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Cowdenbeath 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Cowdenbeath 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Cowdenbeath scorers: Devlin, Leonard
Aberdeen scorers: Bruce 5.

28/03/1925 | KO:


Aberdeen set a fast pace at the opening of their match at Central Park, Cowdenbeath. Their half-backs tightly held the Cowdenbeath attack, and their forwards kept the Fife defence in a more or less constant tangle. The home middle line took a time to settle, but the backs, while had pressed, continued to do their part so well that only once was Stevenson beaten. But as the game went on the Fifers improved, and before the interval they were value for the equalising goal. They changed from close passing to open play, and soon found that the Aberdeen defence did not like that play. The second period favoured the home side, but it was only in the last five minutes that the winning goal was scored. Till the end Aberdeen tried hard to regain the lost point, but the home defence held out. Half-way through the second half Hutton, the Aberdeen centre-half, sustained a twisted ankle, and went to outside right. Even there he was of no use, and his weakness compelled his side to play to the left wing only. On Cowdenbeath scoring their second goal Hutton left the field. The opening goal was got in five minutes, R. Bruce meeting a perfect cross from Smith and giving Stevenson no chance to save. Further success might easily have gone to Aberdeen before Devlin took advantage of a mistake by D. Bruce to put the scores level. Cowdenbeath were better on the change of ends, but when they did take the lead it was from a shot by Leonard which Blackwell might have held. About 6000 were present.

Source: The Scotsman, 30th March 1925

Aberdeen suffered a serious reverse at Cowdenbeath, where the Fifeshire team beat them by 2 goals to 1. The winning goal was obtained two minutes from the end, at a time when everybody was prepared for draw, which was what the game was worth. It was a stiffly-fought encounter, with all the earnestness to be expected with one of the clubs still in danger of relegation. Playing against a strong breeze and sun, Aberdeen had the better of the exchanges in the first half hour, but Cowdenbeath rallied before the interval. In the second period, Cowdenbeath were oftener attacking, but Aberdeen defended stubbornly. Aberdeen were unfortunate in that Hutton was injured the first half, and had the hurt aggravated midway through the second period, so that he had to go to outside right, and finally was compelled to retire before the end. Blackwell might have averted the winning goal, as he actually had the ball in his hands, but otherwise executed some clever saves. Forsyth was the better of two sound backs, but a misheader by Bruce led to Cowdenbeath's first goal. Hutton and MacLachlan played grandly at half-back, but the forwards were not of of much account, only Smith and W. K. Jackson being impressive.
Cowdenbeath were splendidly served by their defence, in which Murray, Hopewell, and A. Rankin were best. Devlin, at centre-forward for the winners was the best forward on the field. There were 8000 spectators.


Aberdeen, had to face sun and breeze in the first half, but early made headway on the right, the brothers Jackson forcing a corner, which was cleared by A. Rankin. They had a chance immediately afterwards, but A. Jackson delayed to shoot. In five minutes, however, they were rewarded with a cleverly taken goal. R. Bruce passed out to Smith, who raced past Murray and centred accurately for R. Brace to rush in and head past Stevenson. An effort by Devlin was deflected for a corner by Forsyth, but the ball was got away, and subsequently Smith had two clever runs and centres which were got away by A. Rankin and Hopewell. The Aberdeen right wing was subsequently dangerous, but a tendency cramp the play in that quarter eased the task of the Cowdenbeath defence. A clever Individual effort by Devlin was thwarted by Hutton on the goal-line. The Aberdeen player was hurt, but after treatment was able to carry on. A shot by Waiter Jackson was deflected for a corner by Hopewell, but the ball was sent out of play from the flag. First Devlin, and then Pullar had tries for Cowdenbeath. the centre-forward hitting the outside of the net. The three Jacksons in the Aberdeen forward line were lively, but their tendency to bunch together helped to nullify their efforts. At the end of half an hour Cowdenbeath equalised. D. Bruce headed the ball backwards against the bar, and in a scrimmage Devlin dashed in and netted. After this success, the Cowdenbeath attack improved, and Wilson hit the bottom of the upright, the ball going behind. R. Bruce had a shot blocked by Murray, and twice the brothers Jackson were dispossessed when they looked like going through. Towards the interval the Aberdeen defence was hard pressed, and Blackwell saved terrific free kicks taken by Letham and Murray. At half-time the scores were level, each team having scored once.


End-to-end play marked the resumption, the respective centre forwards being pulled up in the nick of time. Following this, the game developed into a defensive duel, with the ball hovering about midfield. Ultimately Wilson got away to centre, and Blackwell fisted clear. Off a free kick against Forsyth, Letham shot wide from near the penalty line. W. K. Jackson had Stevenson in action with a stingless effort, and later headed narrowly past off a centre by Walter Jackson. Later the Aberdeen centre forward, shot wildly from out on the right. J. Jackson had a fine opportunity to put Aberdeen ahead, but, after rounding two opponents and working into favourable position, he placed the ball yards wide of the goal. In stopping a run through by Devlin, Hutton twisted his ankle, and had to be assisted off for treatment. When he resumed it was at outside right, Walter Jackson going right half and J. Jackson to centre half. For a time the Aberdeen defence was hard pressed, and Devlin just missed the goal with a fierce drive. Aberdeen's attack became very disjointed, and the individual efforts of Alec Jackson and Bruce were easily countered by a strong home defence. Stevenson was called upon save off a free kick by Walter Jackson, and the Aberdeen defence cleared two corners forced by Pullar and Wilson. With two minutes left for play, Cowdenbeath took the lead. J. Jackson, in heading clear, sent the ball to the foot of Leonard, and that player sent in a fast diagonal shot. Blackwell fell on the ball, but, although getting possession, allowed it elude his grasp, and it went over his body into the net. After this Hutton limped off the field, and Aberdeen, although attacking with great determination in the closing stages, just failed to draw level.

Source: Press & Journal, 30th March 1925

Cowdenbeath Teamsheet
Stevenson; Murray, Hopewell; Letham, Rankin (A.), Chambers; Pullar, Rankine (W.), Devlin, Leonard, Wilson
Attendance: 7,500
Venue: Central Park, Cowdenbeath
Referee: D. Calder, Rutherglen