Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Hamilton

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Hamilton

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Smith 17, Jackson 48.

01/04/1925 | KO: 17:30


The game at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, attracted 6000 spectators. Aberdeen's two goals were scored, one by Smith, the outside left, in the first half, and Alex Jackson, the outside right, got the other in the second half.

Source: The Scotsman, 2nd April 1925

Aberdeen greatly improved their prospects of escaping relegation by defeating Hamilton Academicals at Pittodrie by 2 goals to 0 yesterday. It was a hard, gruelling game throughout, fought with great tenacity and dourness, and there was certainly nothing of the end-of-season flavour about it. The game was always fast, and the number of stoppages for fouls reflected the keenness. Aberdeen well deserved their victory. They were a better-balanced team, but their superiority was never so marked as to make the game one-sided. They derived some assistance from a troublesome wind in the first half, and secured the lead through a simple goal that fell to Smith. They obtained their second goal shortly after the interval as the result of a wonderful piece of individual work by A. Jackson. It was one of the best-taken goals seen on the ground for some time, and roused the spectators to a high pitch of enthusiasm.
Aberdeen had to struggle hard for their victory. They were well served in all departments. In attack Alec Jackson, Walter Jackson. and W. K. Jackson executed many clever moves, and in defence MacLachlan, J. Jackson, D. Bruce, and Forsyth displayed good form. The Academicals were finely served by McCormack and Hunter at back and Miller and Dr Bell in attack. The attendance was 6000.

Keen Exchanges.

Aberdeen made play at the start, and a shot by J. Jackson was deflected to A. Jackson, who forced a corner. This was cleared, following which Somerville had to field from R. Bruce's head. Aberdeen kept up the pressure, and Somerville was again in action, picking up and clearing from a scrimmage in front of his goal. The Hamilton right subsequently made ground, J Jackson clearing from Dr Bell. In another Aberdeen attack, Walter Jackson cleverly tricked Hunt, and shot, but the ball passed just wide of the goal. A raid by the Hamilton left resulted in Blackwell saving finely from Gibson, at the expense of a corner but the ball was got away. Smith had a sprint to the other end, but shot prematurely, and sent high over. Dr Bell carried play to the home goal, and Blackwell fisted clear from his centre. Both teams were nippy, and the game ruled fast from end to end. Following an Aberdeen attack on the right, W. K. Jackson, a few yards out, was given a great chance to score, but lifted the ball over the bar. Subsequent to this, A. Jackson forced a corner, and Hunter cleared. From a foul by Forsyth. T. Miller just missed the Aberdeen goal with a terrific free kick. Aberdeen took the lead in 17 minutes. Smith got possession, and after cutting in lifted the ball into goal, Somerville touched it, but only assisted it in its passage into the net. Subsequently Aberdeen plied Smith, and he responded finely. He centred twice in quick succession before R. Bruce ultimately drove wildly over. Harassed by Smith, McConnach conceded a corner, off which Somerville saved finely, and later Smith shot high after clever play by W. K. Jackson. A first-time shot by Walter Jackson was worthy of a better fate than to go high over. At this stage the Academicals lost the services of Brown, who was injured, and had to be assisted off. He quickly resumed, and in an attack by Aberdeen, A. Jackson sent the ball against the cross bar, following which Somerville saved from Walter Jackson, who subsequently just missed with a fine header off a centre by Grant. Aberdeen monopolised the attacking, and there were several exciting incidents at Somerville's end. The keeper missed a centre by MacLachlan but Hunter came to the rescue, and later McConnach got in the way of shot by A. Jackson. After this, the Academicals enjoyed a brief spell of attacking, but Blackwell was not troubled. Aberdeen quickly got back to the attack, and following a free kick by Grant, Somerville did well to save Walter Jackson's strong header. Good work by the Hamilton left drew the home defence, and Miller just missed with a fierce drive. Then the other Smith raced through, and with Somerville out of his goal Bruce had a shot deflected for a fruitless corner by Hunter. Aberdeen well deserved their interval lead by the solitary goal.

Great Goal.

Three minutes after resuming, Alec Jackson scored a brilliant goal for Aberdeen. Receiving just inside his own half of the field, he beat first Thomson and then Hunter, and cutting in close to goal, drew out Somerville, and then flashed the ball into the net. It was a wonderful effort, and one of the best goals ever scored on the ground. Miller showed great cleverness for the Academicals, it was subtle work by him that led to Gibson and Brown shooting over. Blackwell had to jump to field a ball that bounced awkwardly in front of him. At the other end, A. Jackson, who was exceedingly lively, forced a corner which was cleared, and the Hamilton defence was tempted to keep the internationalist in check. A Hamilton rally followed, and Blackwell and his backs were kept busy, the keeper having to hold a long free kick by McCormack. Later, Dr Bell centred, and Blackwell saved finely from Brown's turn in. In another Aberdeen attack, W. J. Jackson just missed with a capital attempt, and later off a centre by Smith, A. Jackson headed narrowly past. Play favoured Aberdeen at this stage, although the game was by no means one-sided. A Jackson swung over a centre for Smith to shoot past. Miller and Bell showed the way for Hamilton, but Blackwell was not seriously tested. The exchanges were lively towards the end, but Aberdeen maintained their grip, and but for the strong defence of McCormack and Hunter, might have gone further ahead. The game finished in semi-darkness.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd April 1925

Hamilton Teamsheet
Sommerville; McCormack, Hunter; McNeil, Hunt, Thomson; Bell, Miller, Brown, Gibson, Moffat
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W. F. Campbell, Dundee