Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Rangers 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Rangers scorers: Cairns (2)

07/04/1925 | KO:


Had the Rangers finished with the same cleverness and accuracy as marked their leading up work Aberdeen would undoubtedly have been beaten by a much larger margin than 2-0. As it was, the Pittodrie defence were more or less continually on the stretch, but, aided by bad shooting on the part of the Rangers' forwards, they looked as if they would hold their end up. Aberdeen opened in dashing style, and before many minutes Robb had to stop a tremendous shot from W. Jackson. Then the Rangers' half-backs swung the game round, and D. Bruce and Forsyth had an anxious time. A goal, however, looked always in the making, but when it did come there was an element of luck about it. Morton sent over a judicious cross. Meiklejohn caught on, but his shot was blocked. Archibald next had a try, but his drive was also blocked. The ball came to Cairns, who quick as a flash sent the ball into the net. Aberdeen retaliated strongly, and at times it looked as if they would equalise, but so well was A. Jackson subdued that the line was knocked out of gear.
In the second half, the Rangers practically dominated play, but still their old weakness of poor finishing robbed them of many excellent chances. Shortly before the finish Cairns had a second goal for Rangers, after Blackwell had caught a high shot from Henderson. In the outfield the Rangers' wings played delightfully, but Henderson was slow to take advantage of the many fine chances which accrued. The Aberdeen defence are due a word of praise for their strong display. Maclachlan was practically useless in the second half as a result of an injury to a leg. R. Bruce showed many fine touches, but A. Jackson failed to respond.

Source: The Scotsman, 9th April 1925

Delightful weather favoured Aberdeen's to visit Ibrox Park, Glasgow, last night. Eight thousand were present.
Aberdeen's start was auspicious. In the opening minute, the centre forward, Jackson, had a full-blooded drive for goal, and the spectators were relieved to see Robb stop the ball under the bar and clear. Rangers then put in a brief spell of pressure, during which A. Jackson showed his youthful zeal by joining the defence and despoiling Morton.
Play was proceeding in even lines, when, at the end of eight minutes, Rangers completed a sharp onslaught with a goal. There was a soupcon of luck about the score in this respect. Two shots were blocked and then the ball rebounded to Archibald. He had an inviting target, but his shot went so far wide of the mark that it turned out to be a dandy pass to Cairns, who had a simple task driving the ball home.
Following this, Aberdeen were aggressive. R. Bruce had a centre into the goalmouth. Grant shot hard across the Rangers' net, and Smith had a glorious run which elicited applause from the stand. The left winger went round Manderson with the utmost ease, and finished off with a most dangerous centre. Subsequently, the league champions took a larger share of the game, but their pressure yielded nothing tangible in the way of shots. Aberdeen's defence was not flustered, doing especially well against Morton.
However, the Rangers' attack became mora incisive. Cairns opened up several ominous situations with long, accurate passes, and from one raid Archibald sent in a rasping shot towards Blackwell. The play veered from end to end with sufficient swiftness to maintain interest. The facile manner in which Smith twice bested Manderson occasioned comment, but the winger's crosses did not connect with an Aberdeen head, and Robb was untroubled.
Mr A. Jackson languished on the right touchline for want of a sustaining pass. Grant was only moderate, and found his time fully occupied trying to cope with Cairns.

Rangers Superior.

Towards the interval, a period of definite Rangers' superiority was evident. Grant missed his kick in the goalmouth. Henderson was presented with an opening, but his straight shot was held by Blackwell, who cleared after an exciting set-to with Cairns.
In a rush to the other end, W. K. Jackson sent in a splendid drive, which skimmed off Dixon's head for a corner. From the flag-kick Rangers ran off, and Aberdeen were, lucky not to lose another point. Morton, who had surprisingly quiet, went dancing through in his host International style, and flung over a perfect centre. Henderson rushed up, and a goal seemed inevitable, but the centre headed the ball against the custodian's legs. Cairns caught the rebound and looked like emulating his initial success, but Bruce managed to block the shot. Altogether, it was a fortunate escape for the visitors.
Another brisk onslaught by the champions followed. Archibald had the opposing defence knotted. His pass to Cunningham was deadly, but the latter shot wildly over.
When the teams started second half, Bert MacLachlan went to the touchline for attention to a strained muscle. On resuming he limped so badly that he had to change, places with Smith.
The Dons now cut a poor figure. Corners to Rangers followed one on another, but, apart from a Henderson header, Blackwell was not seriously menaced. Morton had brightened up, and his zig-zag raids down the wing created no little amusement, as well as some concern to Aberdeen. However, the custodian judged the flight of the ball to a nicety, and his fists were first every time. Aberdeen were completely out of it as regards attack. Bruce's attempts at distribution were very unfortunate. The ball was banged at the centre forward with such force that trapping was impossible in face of the rapid challenges by Dixon. As for A. Jackson, he was literally starved on the right.

MacLachlan's Injury.

Of course, MacLachlan's injury had knocked the team completely out of gear. Bert could scarcely hirple, and should have retired. Rangers piled on corner kicks galore, but all to no purpose. Then a happy run by Henderson and Archibald slashed open the Don's defence. The centre-forward was entrusted with the finishing touch, but failed to get his foot on the ball when a tap meant a goal. Once or twice Aberdeen's four forwards struggled their way towards Rangers' penalty area, but never a chance for a shot presented itself.
Five minutes from the close, Rangers got still another flag kick. This time Cunningham secured possession, and drove with such force that the ball rebounded from Blackwell's hands. Cairns was on the alert, and rushed it through. This finished matters.
Rangers deserved their win. but their task was simplified by the fact that only ten Aberdeen players had to be faced in the second half. When the Dons were at full strength, there was sufficient pith in their attack to suggest that an equalising goal was by means out of the question. Rangers dominated throughout the second half, and it says munch for Aberdeen's splendid defence and much against the champions' shooting that only one goal was scored during this period. Cairns and Morton formed a grand wing, and right back Bruce, of Aberdeen, had a trying time. He came out of it well. Grant was rather weak at right half, and Bruce at inside right was easily rushed off the ball. Smith and A. Jackson got few chances to show their ability. Blackwell, the backs, and J. jackson all comported themselves with credit against never ceasing aggression. The mishap MacLachlan spoiled what promised to be a well-contested game.

Source: Press & Journal, 8th April 1925

Rangers Teamsheet
Robb; Manderson, Muirhead, McCandless; Muirhead, Dixon, Meiklejohn; Archibaid, Cunningham, Henderson, Cairns, Morton
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: Jack Bell, Dundee