Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Queens Park 4 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Queens Park 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Queens Park scorers: R. Gillespie 13, R. Gillespie 30, R. Gillespie, R. Gillespie
Aberdeen scorers: Smith.

13/04/1925 | KO:

Dons wel beaten. Gillespie's four goals for Queen's

By defeating Aberdeen at Hampden Park yesterday, Queen's Park have still an excellent chance of avoiding relegation. The Amateurs fully deserved their easy victory. R. Gillespie opened the scoring after fifteen minutes' play, and from that point the Amateurs were easily the superior team. Their forwards, however, did not finish very well; and many excellent scoring chances were missed. R. Gillespie, however, added a second goal for the Amateurs after half an hour's play. Until the interval the play was kept running towards the Aberdeen goal, and it came as rather a surprise when in a quick raid by the Aberdeen forwards Smith reduced the leeway close on half-time.
There was nothing to enthuse over in the play of either team in the second half, but the Amateurs were always the better side. Goals, however, did not come to them easily, and it was not until fifteen minutes from the end that R. Gillespie registered a third goal, the same player adding a fourth eight minutes from the end. The attendance would be about 8000.

Source: The Scotsman, 14th April 1925

Queen's Park entertained Aberdeen at Hampden park yesterday in a league game of far-reaching consequences to both clubs. The weather was cold and blustery, but quite 10,000 witnessed the play. Aberdeen had to face a stiffish wind at the start, but they went off bravely. Alec Jackson beat two men with dainty sidestepping, and whisked over a ball which caused Queen's some concern ere it was scrambled away. The visitors' movements were skilful, and only the weight of Wiseman crushed out Bruce and Jackson when the right wing pair were poised for shots.
Rain fell heavily, and the footing became slippery. Queen's took 5 minutes to get down on Blackwell, but there incursion was distinctly dangerous. The speedy Crawford tore along the right, and his cross went clean through the Aberdeen defence. However, the unexpected chance found Nicholson unprepared. The amateurs returned, and from a corner kick Moreland had a pot-shot, but D. Bruce almost under the bar, headed clear. Spirit characterised the play.
Maclachlan caught the eye with 'cute covering up, and a sweeping pass by Moreland to Crawford was beautifully trapped by the left half. At the end of 13 minutes Queen's scored. At midfield Crawford secured a loose ball, and, finding the Aberdeen defence wide, he cut into the middle. Partnered by R. Gillespie, the right winger dashed along, and then squared the ball across the goalmouth, Gillespie being left with the simplest of tasks to divert into the net.
The reverse did not upset the Dons. In a brisk raid Walter Jackson profited by a defensive error on the part of Gillespie, and slipped the ball out to brother Alec. Gibbs left his goal in a dash for the ball. Jackson got there first and centred, but Wiseman cleared the danger. Some rapid combination by the Aberdeen forwards carried them within striking distance again. A. Jackson made a fine opening, but Bruce, instead of passing to the left, shot from a hopeless range.

Queen's Lively

Queen's were a lively lot. The forwards executed a delightful combined movement. Forsyth went in to tackle Gillespie, but the centre opened his legs and allowed the ball to run to Moreland. The latter was presented with a tempting target, but his shot was a mills-and-water affair. Several times Queen's broke down in front of the Aberdeen goal.
The amateurs second count, at the end of half-an-hour, appeared offside. All the players, including Gillespie, halted for a fraction of a second, evidently expecting the referee to signal offside, but the official made no signal, and Gillespie ran forward and drove a low ball, which got in at the foot of Blackwell's right-hand post, the keeper evidently having been taken off his guard to some extent by dubiety as to whether or not Gillespie was in play.
This lucky point put Queen's on their toes. They played with coolness and skill, and Aberdeen were very fortunate when a swinging drive beat Blackwell all ends up, and the ball caught the foot of the post and came out. Then Nicholson smashed one against the side netting, while Moreland missed a glorious chance under the bar when he drove straight at the custodian.
Aberdeen did not lose their heads under the pressure, and they got their reward near half-time. Alec Jackson went sailing round two men like a yacht round a buoy. He cut the ball in for Bruce, but the latter ran past. Fortunately, Smith was following up, and the left winger drove a magnificent ball into the net. On play, Queen's deserved to lead at the interval, though the second goal was open to question.
Heavy rain was falling when the teams turned round. Play did not slacken, however. Aberdeen opened proceedings with a drive from W. K. Jackson, then Crawford went tearing away on the right, but Forsyth attended to the centre. Aberdeen, tough pressing most, were a bit muddled in the middle. The three inside men were apt to get tangled when the obvious policy was to play the wings. Smith had two wonderful tries to equalise. The first was saved by Gibbs, and the second was only inches wide. Queen's defence was wilting, but they came through alright.

A Double Sensation

Then came a double sensation. Nicholson ran away on Queen's left, and his centre gave R. Gillespie another easy job of registering his third goal. A fourth followed from the same player. He cleverly eluded Bruce, and drove home a beauty. Aberdeen fought back desperately, and deserved a goal, but they had to retire decisively beaten.
Queen's deserved their win. They were far superior in attack, in which department Aberdeen were woefully weak, apart from the wings. A. Jackson and Smith escape criticism, but the three inside men showed little cohesion or any great individual ability. Aberdeen were also poor at half-back. MacLachlan did well, but Edwards and Hutton were very moderate. Hutton did not seem suited for the role; at any rate Bob Gillespie got far too much freedom, and enjoyed a day's shooting such as he never has had this season. Aberdeen's defence was satisfactory. Queen's were sound in all parts, though Frank Gillespie was fluky at centre-half.
The victory occasioned great jubilation among Queen's Park supporters. Aberdeen must beat Motherwell on Saturday week to make sure of a place in the First Division.

Source: Press & Journal, 14th April 1925

Queens Park Teamsheet
Gibbs; Sneddon, Wiseman; MacDonald, E. Gillespie, Graham; Crawford, Moreland, R. Gillespie, McAlpine, Nicholson
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Referee: J. Dougray, Barrhead