Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Airdrie 4 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Airdrie 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Airdrie scorers: Gallacher 35, Gallacher, Reid, Somerville
Aberdeen scorers: Reid.

22/08/1925 | KO:


There was no mistaking the better side at Airdrie, where the local team got right into their stride again, and won very comfortably by four goals to one. It was not a bad fight in the first half, when Gallacher was the only scorer, but in the second period the team work of the Airdrie men was quite beyond the Aberdeen defence, who were worried into submission by a line of forwards that at periods went like a bit of machinery. Gallacher's second goal was directly off Reid's crossing. The ball was almost into Blackwell's hands when Gallacher popped up, touched the ball with his head, and no one was more surprised than the Northern goalkeeper that he was beaten. Jimmy Reid, playing as well as ever after all his years on the field, scored the third, and Somerville completed the scoring. Reid was Aberdeen's scorer, but the goal was practically Smith's, as Ewart failed to hold a glancing shot from the left winger, and the Pittodrie outside right had a free passage. Airdrieonians excelled in all departments, and won on their merits against a moderate attack and rather ragged defence by Aberdeen. On the losing side, Smith, Reid, Walter Jackson, MacLachlan, and Blackwell were most effective. Airdrie's defence was sound, and none excelled Bennie and McDougall. Gallacher's dash in the centre, backed by two clever wings, took more stopping than Aberdeen could supply. The score does not overrate the difference in the teams. Attendance 8000.

Source: The Scotsman, 24th August 1925

Aberdeen experienced a serious setback at Broomfield Park, where Airdrieonians beat them by 4 goals to 1. The losers did not even have the consolation of knowing that they were unfortunate. They were soundly beaten by a team that was superior in all departments with the exception of goal. With the wind behind them in the first half Aberdeen made quite a fair fight, but it was more due to good defensive work than to Aberdeen's efforts in attack that the score at the interval was 1-0 in favour of Airdrieonians. In the second period Airdrieonians were brilliant in attack, and scored other three goals against one for Aberdeen. The weather was bright, but a strong wind was a disturbing factor. There was an attendance of about 7000 spectators, and the Airdrie club's new grandstand was partly open for the first time.


Aberdeen made a promising enough start, Walter Jackson being pulled up by McQueen close to the home goal. Reid next led a thrust, and there was somewhat of a scramble before the ball was got away following his centre. Gradually the Airdrie, attack got going and a bout of passing was nullified by Gallacher shooting over, following which Blackwell had to handle off a free kick. Another combined run by the home forwards saw Bruce interrupt Gallacher in the act of shooting. Reid gave Aberdeen relief with a fine run and centre, following which Dick headed the ball out close to W. K. Jackson, for that player to shoot wide when fairly well placed. Another spell of attacking by the clever Airdrie forwards followed, but they overdid the individual touches, and the Aberdeen defence survived a trying time. On one occasion Blackwell was drawn out of his charge by Gallacher, who parted across the goal before the keeper could get back, and it was a fine piece of anticipation on Forsyth's part when the back stopped Russell's shot on the goal line. A number of fast shots subsequently went dangerously close to the Aberdeen goal. McPhail and Gallacher both shooting wide when well placed. Reid and Walter Jackson occasionally made headway for Aberdeen, but the balance rested with Airdrieonians. The Aberdeen outside right on one occasion cut In, only to shoot against the outside of the net, and at the other end Blackwell had to fist away from J. Reid. At this stage there came an Aberdeen revival. Ewart stopped a good shot by A. Reid, and shortly afterwards the Airdrie goalkeeper had to knock down a hard drive by W. K. Jackson. The Aberdeen rally was maintained, and the Airdrie goal had a narrow escape following a cross by Reid. Subsequently play veered round in favour of Airdrie. Blackwell saved from Russell near the top of the upright, but after 35 minutes' play Gallacher received from Preston to dribble close in and score a cleverly-taken goal. Shortly afterwards the Aberdeen goalkeeper had to stop a fast header from Gallacher. Near the interval a splendid shot by Smith was saved at full length by the Airdrie keeper, Dick completing the clearance before an Aberdeen forward could net.


Airdrieonians attacked at the opening of the second half. Bruce conceded a corner in heading away from J. Reid, and Blackwell saved at close range from Somerville. At the other end, a centre by A. Reid was unaccepted, and Ewart, in saving from Smith, nearly pulled the ball down on to Walter Jackson's feet. J. Reid twice in quick succession shot the ball just wide of Blackwell's charge, but, after the goalkeeper had got rid of a neat turn-in by Gallacher, the Airdrie centre-forward headed through goal from about two yards range. Following this, McPhail sent the ball against the upright, and play ruled entirely in favour of Airdrie. Preston was hurt in a tackle with MacLachlan and had to be assisted off, but, even thus handicapped, the home team were still on top. A third goal followed when Blackwell knocked down a free kick by Bennie, and J. Reid touched the ball through after Gallacher had hit it against the goalkeeper's leg. Following this, Aberdeen were overwhelmed, and it was surprising that Airdrie did not increase their lead. Ultimately, Smith got away for Aberdeen and centred. Ewart left his goal to intercept, but failed to get the ball away, and A. Reid ran in to shoot the ball into the net. For a spell after this the Aberdeen attack was a little more in evidence, but they did not look like scoring again. Preston resumed, and shortly afterwards Somerville, from 20 yards, shot a brilliant goal. This concluded the scoring.

Source: Press & Journal, 24th August 1925

Airdrie Teamsheet
Ewart; A. Dick, McQueen; Preston, McDougall, Bennie; J. Reid, Russell, Gallacher, McPhail, Somerville
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Broomfield Park, Airdrie
Referee: H. Russell, Glasgow