Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Cowdenbeath

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Reid 35, McDermid 51.
Cowdenbeath scorers: Devlin 86

29/08/1925 | KO: 15:00


Cowdenbeath put up a plucky, though unavailing, fight in their game at Aberdeen, where they were narrowly beaten by the odd goal in three by a team superior in every department, except goal. The first scoring came ten minutes before the interval from an oblique shot by Reid, Aberdeen's right winger, and that lead was increased a quarter of an hour after the commencement of the second period by McDermid. Up to that time, Falconer had executed many thrilling saves, and but for his brilliant work in goal his team must have been further in arrears. In the second half it was a case of each end being raided in turn. Four minutes from the close, following a scrimmage in the home goal, Devlin got through to score for Cowdenbeath. In the second period the players were prone to be rather vigorous in their tactics. On the home side, Hutton, Pirie, Maclachlan, Reid, and McDermid were outstanding. Cowdenbeath were well served by Falconer, Murray, Young, Devlin, and Wilson, but they did not work so well together as the Aberdeen players. Included among over sixteen thousand spectators were sixty members of the crew of the United States torpedo boat destroyers, Lamson and Coghlan, as guests of the Aberdeen directors, and they were greatly delighted with the match, especially with the defence of the Cowdenbeath custodian, whom they cheered enthusiastically. The navymen were also delighted with an exhibition of piping and Highland dancing provided chiefly for their benefit during the interval by the kilted boys of Oakbank Industrial School.

Source: The Scotsman, 31st August 1925

Team alterations contributed materially to improvement in the Aberdeen team, which registered its first league victory of the season by defeating Cowdenbeath at Pittodrie by 2 goals to 1. The home team defence was reorganised. Pirie and Moore were drafted into the half-back line, and Hutton was restored to right back, Bruce crossing to left back, and compared with the defence on duty on the two previous Saturdays, McHale and Forsyth were omitted. Cowdenbeath took the field under handicap, injuries being responsible for A. Rankin and W. Rankin being substituted by Young and McDonald at centre-half and inside right respectively.
Aberdeen fully deserved to win, and had the margin been greater it would better have reflected their superiority. With the wind behind them in the first half, they hammered the Cowdenbeath defence in merciless fashion, and but for brilliant goalkeeping by Falconer and dogged play by Murray and Hopewell, must have led at the interval by more than the solitary goal that fell to Reid. The exchanges were more equal in the second half, when each side scored once, but the balance of play remained with Aberdeen, who were always more dangerous. On the winning side, Hutton, Pirie, and MacLachlan were outstanding in defence. Hutton was easily the best back on the field, and Pirie's constructiveness in the pivotal position materially contributed to the success of the attack. Among the forwards, Reid at outside right was outstanding. Not only did he always have the beating of the opposition, but he centred and shot with fine accuracy. W. Jackson and McDermid, too, showed marked improvement in the inside wing forward positions.
For the visitors, Falconer kept goal in brilliant style, and saved his team from a much heavier defeat. Murray was a staunch back, who stood up well to the onslaughts of the home attack. Chambers met with most success at half-back, and in an attack that did not impress, Devlin, Leonard, and Wilson were best. The game attracted about 16,000 spectators.

Play in Brief.

In a brisk opening attack by Aberdeen, MacLachlan shot narrowly past, and following a foul on Reid, Hutton sent wide from a free kick. For a time Aberdeen crowded all sail on attack, and several shots were blocked in front of the visitors' goal. Ultimately Devlin gave them relief when he broke through the home defence, but harassed by Hutton he finished weakly. Play again turned in favour of Aberdeen, and Young was lucky to get in the way of a great shot by MacLachlan. Reid followed up another attack with a fine shot, which Falconer pushed away at the bottom of the post, and, following this, the goalkeeper just reached a ball from McDermid. Falconer was penalised for carrying, and there was some exciting play in front of his goal, until the ball was got away. Subsequent to this Walter Jackson was left with only the goalkeeper to beat, but Falconer ran out and baulked him. In a raid by Devlin the Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape, the ball going wide, but play continued to rule in the home team's favour. Pirie worked his way forward to deliver a terrific shot, which hit Falconer on the chest, but the rebound was cleared. Subsequently the Cowdenbeath goalkeeper was much in the limelight. In quick succession he had to clear from McDermid and Smith, and with several opponents rushing in upon him, fisted away from MacLachlan. In a Cowdenbeath rally, Blackwell had to clear a long-range shot by Young and a ball that was misheaded by Bruce. On the Aberdeen right Reid showed fine form, and Falconer and his backs had to clear dangerous situations created by his centres. The Cowdenbeath goal had another narrow escape when Walter Jackson rounded Murray to crash the ball against the outside of the net. Ten minutes from the interval Aberdeen pressure was rewarded. Falconer knocked down a free kick from MacLachlan and the ball went to Smith, who sent it well out to the right. It went to Reid who was unmarked, and that player shot for the far side of the net, the course of the ball being slightly altered by contact with Hopewell's elbow. Until the interval Aberdeen had much the better of the exchanges, and were worthy a more commanding lead.
During the interval the boy pipers from Oakbank Industrial School gave a clever exhibition of Highland dancing. This was staged specially for the benefit of a party U.S. navymen who were the guests of the Aberdeen F.C. directors for the afternoon.

More Evenly Matched.

There were end to end visitations on the resumption of play, when Aberdeen found the wind had increased in force. The home goal was first endangered when Blackwell at full length pushed out a lightning shot from Leonard. At the other end Falconer had to get down to an equally good shot from Walter Jackson. With six minutes gone Aberdeen increased their lead. Reid carried the hall down, and slipped over a capital centre. The ball went to Walter Jackson, who failed to gather, but it rebounded to McDermid, who shot hard into the net, Falconer touching but failing to stop the ball's progress. Shortly afterwards, from a pass ahead by Piri, Walter Jackson swept the ball over Falconer's charge. Aberdeen continued to be aggressive, and following a brilliant solo run by Reid, Murray intercepted his pass in front of goal. A raid by the visitors' left resulted in Wilson shooting over, a performance which MacLachlan repeated from a free kick at the other end. Cowdenbeath showed signs of improvement, and first McDonald and then Leonard and Wilson shot the ball high over Blackwell's goal. A cross by William swept across the Cowdenbeath goal, Reid just failing to reach the ball. In another Cowdenbeath attack, Pullar forced a corner, following which Leonard shot over and later Blackwell had to clear from McDonald. A centre by Wilson had the Aberdeen goal in danger. Blackwell fisted into the air and when the ball came down McDonald shot over from favourable position. Four minutes from the end hesitation on the part of the Aberdeen defence let Devlin through and he easily tapped the ball past Blackwell to count for Cowdenbeath. After this Aberdeen again took up the thread of attack, and they were on the offensive when the whistle sounded.

Source: Press & Journal, 31st August 1925

Cowdenbeath Teamsheet
Falconer; Murray, Hopewell; Letham, Young, Chambers: McDonald, Devlin, Leonard, Wilson
Attendance: 16,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Small, Dundee