Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Queens Park 0 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Queens Park 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Jackson 15.

05/09/1925 | KO:


Queen's Park failed badly against Aberdeen at Hampden Park. They were perhaps a trifle unlucky to lose both points, but the faulty finishing of their forwards deprived them of any chance they had of winning. The opening exchanges were fairly even, but within fifteen minutes Aberdeen had taken the lead. The left wing carried the ball up the field, and William Jackson finished with a good shot. Gibbs cleared, but the ball landed at the feet of McDermid, who promptly flashed the ball into the net. From this point the Amateurs kept up a persistent pressure on the Aberdeen goal; but the forwards were inclined to play too close together, and this fault, in addition to their lack of finishing power, gave the Aberdeen defence no great difficulty in holding off the frequent raids. On the other hand, the Aberdeen forwards played a much more open game, and although they were not so aggressive as the Amateurs, they always looked likely scorers. The attendance would be about 10,000.

Source: The Scotsman, 7th September 1925

Aberdeen accomplished quite a good performance in beating Queen's Park at Hampden by the only goal of the game. Twelve thousand persons watched a scrappy, if vigorously contested, game, in which victory went to the more deserving side. There was not much studied play in the game, both teams endeavouring to combat a strong breeze by indulging in first-time tactics, which often had the ball in the air when a more profitable policy would have been to keep it low. Aberdeen's victory was all the more creditable because of the fact that during the greater period of the second half Moore was injured, and, changing places with Reid, went to outside right, where he was a passenger owing to his hurt. McDermid and Smith also were injured in the course of the game, but these were able to carry on.
Against the wind in the first half Aberdeen were clearly the better team for half an hour. They took the lead after 15 minutes, and, had their shooting been better directed, might have gone further ahead. In the last 15 minutes of the period the Amateurs rallied in great style, and it was only a magnificent defence that prevented the equaliser. In the second half, when Aberdeen were handicapped, the exchanges were more equal, and both sets of defenders were often in trouble. For Aberdeen, Blackwell, Hutton, Bruce, and Pirie played splendidly in rear, and McDermid and W. K. Jackson were the best of the attackers, although Reid was very successful after he went to right half. For Queen's Park, T. S. Gibbs, T. Sneddon, Gillespie, and R. Moreland shone in defence, and J. B. McAlpine and W. G. Nicholson were the most effective attackers.


Blackwell was early called upon to deal with a shot from Moreland, but good ground passing took the Aberdeen forwards to the other end, where Gibbs had to go full length to stop a drive by Walter Jackson. Subsequently, both back divisions were well tested. W. K. Jackson for Aberdeen forced the first corner of the game, but Sneddon cleared, and at Blackwell's end a shot by McAlpine went wide after an individual effort. Aberdeen pressed home a vigorous attack after this. Smith centred finely and Walter Jackson taking the ball in his stride lifted high over with only Gibbs in front. Aberdeen took the lead, after 15 minutes' play. McDermid got away from midfield, and made progress until the penalty area was reached. There he touched the ball neatly to W. K. Jackson, whose splendidly judged shot for the left band side of the goal was brilliantly parried by Gibbs at full length. The ball, however, went to Walter Jackson lying on the right of the goal, and before the keeper could rise Jackson had netted. The reverse stirred the amateurs to greater effort. Blackwell had to save from Moreland at long range, and following a corner kick, had to fist away from Nicholson. A raid by Reid to the other end and ground pass to Walter Jackson, resulted in the latter lifting high over Gibbs' charge. Following this, Gillespie forced the amateurs again on to attack, and scoring like shots from Scott and McAlpine were blocked by Hutton and Bruce, both of whom showed good form. A long individual run by Walter Jackson resulted in his pass in front goal going for nothing, and shortly afterwards forcing play by MacLachlan nearly led to another goal, Walter Jackson's shot going inches wide with Gibbs out of position for saving. In the later stages of the period, the amateurs showed vast improvement. A centre by Crawford was missed by Barr and cleared by Pirie, and Blackwell saved a stinging shot from near the touchline by Nicholson. A free kick outside the Aberdeen penalty area was taken by McDonald, and his terrific shot was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Blackwell for a corner. Smith gave Aberdeen relief but finished by centring on the top of net and following a corner at the other end, Scott narrowly missed scoring with a lightning shot from a difficult angle. Queen's Park pressure was maintained, and a minute from the interval Blackwell, at full length, effected a wonderful save from Crawford, who had worked his way through.


The resumption was marked by a clever individual burst by McAlpine, which Hutton repelled and there was a stoppage while Moreland had a face injury attended to. With the breeze behind them, Aberdeen bore down in attack, and a fast ball by Smith flashed across the Amateurs goal to pass behind, inches outside of the post. Thrusts by McAlpine troubled the Aberdeen defence, but Hutton and Pirie stood out with clever countering. The visitors found the wind difficult to judge, and a tendency to over-kick on their part left Gibbs busy with goalkicks and balls that bounced in front of him. Walter Jackson had a hard drive rather luckily blocked by Sneddon, and after Gibbs had saved from Pirie, who shot from midfield, Reid just missed with a fast shot from close range. At this stage, Moore was injured in a desperate tackle of McAlpine, who was in the act of shooting, and the Aberdeen player had to be assisted off. He returned after fully five minutes absence and changed places with Reid, but in his state was practically no further use to his team. The Aberdeen defence survived a trying period, and following it, W. K. Jackson lifted over the bar from close range after Smith had centred finely. McAlpine was a big source of danger to Aberdeen; and Blackwell did well to knock down and clear a fierce shot by the Amateurs' inside left. A misunderstanding between the Aberdeen backs almost let Barr through, but Bruce forestalled him by kicking Into corner. At the other end Gibbs had to fist away from W. K. Jackson, and twice had shots which were rather luckily deflected by defenders. McDermid and Smith were both injured, but were able to continue. In the closing stages, Aberdeen had the situation well in hand. Gibbs saved finely from MacLachlan and W. K. Jackson, but was nearly beaten when he fumbled a shot from Walter Jackson. Blackwell had to fist clear from a comer kick by Crawford, and at the other end Gibbs effected a brilliant save from Smith, who had got through the defence. The game was strenuously contested to the end.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 7rh September 1925

Queens Park Teamsheet
T. S. Gibbs; T. Sneddon, W, Wiseman; J. McDonald, R. Gillespie, J. Crawford; E. Scott, R. Barr, J. B. McAlpine, W. G. Nicholson
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Referee: W. F. Campbell, Dundee
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead