Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Clydebank 0 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Clydebank 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)

19/09/1925 | KO:


The sharing of the points at Clydeholm was mainly due to the effective manner in which the Aberdeen defence discounted the almost continuous attack of the Clydebank forwards. Blackwell was in action from the first minute, but at the end of fifteen minutes Clydebank found themselves even unable to find the net from a penalty kick - awarded against Cosgrove for accidental handling and poorly taken by Scraggs. Apart from smart moves and well taken shots by Smith and Reid, Aberdeen continued practically on the defensive until the interval, Hutton and his immediate colleagues always minimising Blackwell's work. The second half was contested on similar lines, the Aberdeen forwards only showing up very occasionally. The Pittodrie men, however, almost snatched victory once, when Walter Jackson was left unmarked in front of the Clydebank goal, and Gallacher just managed to throw himself on the ball as the centre prepared to shoot. Clydebank all over were a vastly improved side from that which went down so badly at Tynecastle, and of Aberdeen it may be said that they have a weighty defence calculated to intimidate and thwart most forward lines. Attendance, 5000.

Source: The Scotsman, 21st September 1925

Aberdeen had to struggle desperately hard to prevent Clydebank from registering first win of the season at Yoker. The result, a draw, paid tribute to the excellence of the defence, which withstood long, sustained attacks. Aberdeen, on the other hand, had their chances to win the match, but these were wasted as the result of palpable misses in front of goal.
It was a thrilling and often desperate struggle. Clydebank adopted storm tactics, and these evoked retaliation, so that the exchanges were often more robust than is consistent with safety. There were quite a number of stoppages for injuries to players, and at times there was a tendency for tempers to become ruffled. Clydebank were the more aggressive attacking force, yet they no more deserved to win than Aberdeen deserved to lose. In the closing stages it was obvious that the Clydebank players were 'done,' and had the game gone on for a short time longer the probability that Aberdeen, who were much fresher at that stage, would have won. For Aberdeen, Hutton, D. Bruce, and Pirie played brilliantly in defence, but the forwards did not reproduce their form of the previous week, and in this division Reid was easily the best. In a Clydebank team that showed considerable improvement on previous displays, Swanson, McKendrick, Scraggs, Evans, Chalmers, and Houston were outstanding. There were 5000 spectators.


Aberdeen attacked on the right, and a free kick by Cosgrove was cleared by McKendrick, after which the Clydebank forwards got going and forced a corner, following which Smith shot weakly past. A rush by the Aberdeen forwards came to grief when W. K. Jackson's shot struck a defender, and Clydebank forced the visitors again back on defence. A mishap to MacLachlan robbed Aberdeen of his services for a short time, and during his absence the defence was kept busy. Another corner kick was headed clear by D. Bruce, and forcing play by R. Bruce ended with W. K. Jackson's shot being blocked.
In another attack by Clydebank, Chalmers shot against Cosgrove's hands, and the referee awarded a penalty kick. Scraggs took the kick, but sent the ball wide of the goal. Following a raid by Aberdeen, Gallacher cleared from Reid, but the Clydebank attackers again got busy, and Hutton, Bruce and Pirie had put in a deal of hefty defence work. In quick succession, Blackwell had to get rid of shots from Chalmers and Raid, and at Gallacher's end a fine centre by Smith went just clear of Walter Jackson's reach. Keeping up a vigorous attack, Clydebank had the Aberdeen goal in danger with shots from Hogg, Chalmers, and Reid, but the 'keeper dealt with these in fine style. Reid gave Aberdeen relief with a sprint half the length the field, his centre was headed over by W. Jackson. Following this, the Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape. Reid found himself in possession close in, and, as Blackwell threw himself at his feet, tipped the ball round the goalkeeper, only to see it hit the post, and Bruce cleared. Blackwell was kicked below the knee in his effort to stave off disaster and was crippled, subsequently keeping goal under difficulty. Chalmers, Smith, and Reid all had shots at the Aberdeen goalkeeper, but he refused to be beaten, and towards the interval Aberdeen assumed the offensive. Smith forced a corner for R. Bruce to shoot wide, and, following this, Walter Jackson, when nicely placed to score, failed to turn in a perfect centre from Reid. At the other end Blackwell, although harassed by three opponents, cleared from Chalmers.


Clydebank again forced home the attack when play was resumed, and from a cross by Evans, Blackwell stopped a dangerous header from Reid. For a time Hutton, Bruce, and Pirie were hard pressed in defence. Smith raced away to force a corner, which, however, was not improved upon. The Aberdeen left winger continued to trouble the home defence. On another occasion he cut in and placed the ball to Walter Jackson's feet, but the latter failed to gather, and before could recover Gallacher had thrown himself on the ball and defying several charges ultimately cleared. Subsequently both goalkeepers were kept busy, Reid and Walter Jackson in rapid succession just missing with express shots for Aberdeen, and following a corner at Blackwell's end, Pirie got the ball away. Blackwell at full length effected a brilliant save from Chalmers, and after a combined run by the Aberdeen right Smith shot the ball against the outside of the net. Following more vigorous pressure by the home forwards, Blackwell knocked down and cleared a lightning shot by Houston, and on several occasions had to leave his goal to kick clear from opponents. Latterly Aberdeen became more enterprising in attack, Smith and Reid both having clever runs and a series of shots were blocked in front of the Clydebank goal. Pirie tried a shot from long range, and Walter Jackson swung at and missed a ground pass from the right. A fine shot by Smith found the crossbar, and a gruelling game ended with Aberdeen attacking.

Source: Press & Journal, 21st September 1925

Clydebank Teamsheet
Gallacher; Swanson, McKendrick; Caldwell, Scraggs, Hogg; Evans, Houston, Reid, Chalmers, Smith
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Clydeholm Park, Clydebank
Referee: J. P. Rowe, Glasgow