Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Falkirk 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Falkirk 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Falkirk scorers: Scott (pen), Murray
Aberdeen scorers: Smith.

03/10/1925 | KO:


From the engagement with Falkirk at Brockville Park, Aberdeen retired beaten for the fourth time in succession, though, to an extent, they were a trifle unfortunate to leave both points behind. The early play slightly favoured Falkirk who, however, were beaten back on their own lines and within eight minutes Aberdeen had taken the lead through Smith, who scored a brilliant goal, This reverse served to put Falkirk on their mettle and for some time the Aberdeen defenders were kept fully employed checking the dangerous rushes of the home forwards. Fully twenty minutes had gone when Falkirk were awarded a penalty kick, from which Scott scored the equaliser. Till the interval play was of a keen and lively description, with defences prevailing over attack. In the second half Aberdeen were more aggressive, Reid and Smith on the wings, showing to good advantage but the inside men failed utterly to press home the attack, scoring chances being repeatedly frittered away. Towards the close Falkirk took up the running again, and a cleverly taken goal by Murray brought them the victory. Outstanding men in the game were Townsley, Hutton, Smith, Murray, Pirie, and Hunter. Attendance 8000.

Source: The Scotsman, 5th October 1925

At Brockville Park, Aberdeen let slip another couple of valuable points, and sustained their fourth defeat in succession, when they allowed Falkirk to beat them by 2 goals 1. The result was rather against the run of the play, as there were prolonged periods in the game when Aberdeen were in the ascendency, and had the inside forwards shown more enterprise in shooting they might well have won the game for their side. As it was, the Pittodrie team were distinctly unfortunate to surrender both points, as quite apart from the missing of chances they deserved at least a point.
A fine bit of work by Smith enabled Aberdeen to open the scoring early, but before the interval Falkirk were awarded a penalty, from which Scott equalised. The offence which brought the award was not quite clear. Dougal made dart for Falkirk, and several defenders closed in upon him in front of the Aberdeen goal. The Falkirk centre forward was certainly tackled, but he was neither brought down nor unbalanced, and there was considerable surprise when the referee awarded the penalty kick. The Aberdeen players stoutly contested the decision, but the official stock to it, and did not even deem it necessary to consult the linesmen. In the second period, all against the run of the play, Murray, the Falkirk right winger, broke away ten minutes from the close, and after cutting in shot a brilliant goal.
On the Aberdeen side, Blackwell, Hutton, and Bruce (D.) were a strong defensive trio, and Pirie was the best of the half-back line, on the left of which McDermid made a capable substitute for MacLachlan who was absent through injury. Reid and Smith were the best of the forwards, but the inside men spoilt a lot of good play by dilatoriness in front of goal. For Falkirk, Ferguson and Harris were best in rear, with Gowdy and Townsley getting in a deal of telling work at half-back. Forward, Murray was easily best, with Dougal and Mulhall next in order. On a beautiful afternoon, 8000 spectators saw a game that was fast from start finish, without the play ever reaching a high standard.


Falkirk attacked at the opening, and Blackwell had to negotiate a long drive by Gowdy, after which Mulhall shot wide from Murray's centre. A raid by Waller Jackson for Aberdeen was repelled and Smith, after a fine run, sent over a ground pass, which Ferguson picked up and cleared with Walter Jackson running in upon him. A misunderstanding between the Aberdeen backs gave Dougal a chance but Blackwell dashed out and cleared, and at Ferguson's end two centres were headed away by Townsley. After ten minutes' play Smith, who had been showing good form, got possession outside the penalty area, and cleverly tricked Scott to run on and shoot a fine goal, the ball finding the net off the far post. Subsequently the ball travelled fast from end to end, and both teams forced corners. Following one of these Smith gave Walter Jackson a chance, but he missed, and the ball went to William Jackson, who lofted it over the bar when he might have scored. At the other end Townsley just missed with a long shot, and off a centre by Murray, Dougal headed wide. Falkirk maintained pressure for a time, but apart from a drive which he fielded from Gowdy, Blackwell got nothing to do. It was fallowing this that Falkirk were awarded a penalty kick, apparently for a foul on Dougal and Scott equalised. Aberdeen were unsettled for a bit after this, but they came again, and both Smith and Reid had thrusts, their crosses causing the home defence some anxiety. Pirie dribbled through on one occasion, but was fouled when about to shoot, and from the free kick just outside the penalty area Hutton's fierce drive went narrowly over. Following this Ferguson just managed to defect a dangerous ball from Smith, and in a scrimmage the Aberdeen forwards had several shots rather luckily blocked in front of the home goal. Smith was injured in a tackle by Scott, and the hurt affected his speed latterly. Murray was the best ground maker for Falkirk, and off one of his centres Paterson shot wildly over from good position. A well-placed corner kick was fisted away by Ferguson, who only regained his goal in time to save a shot by McDermid. Near the interval Blackwell had difficulty in clearing from Paterson when harassed by opponents, and Hutton headed away when a shot looked like taking effect.


When the game resumed, Reid got away to centre, but R. Bruce shot weakly behind, and a run by Murray to the other end culminated in Blackwell meeting his lightning like shot. Off another raid by Murray, Hunter swept the ball against Blackwell's crossbar, and it bounded out of play. A fine sprint by Smith resulted in the ball crossing Ferguson's charge, but it swerved behind with no Aberdeen player to meet it. A fast shot from Reid struck Harris, and the ball was nearly defected through the Falkirk goal, Ferguson saving at the foot of the post for a corner. Other flag kicks followed for Aberdeen, but the home defence came cut on top. Off a perfect centre by Reid either William Jackson, or Smith ought to have scored, but they got in each other's way with practically an open goal in front. At this stage Aberdeen were exerting much pressure. Smith got inside the penalty area only to shoot over the goal. Following this the Falkirk goal had a lucky escape. Walter Jackson got away to outpace the defence on the right of the home goal. As the angle was covered by Ferguson who had gone out to meet him, he could not shoot, but slipped the ball along in front of the empty goal. There was not a colleague in attendance, however and a great chance was lost. It was following this that Falkirk took the lead. Murray got away on the home right, and after cutting in shot a great goal on the run. A centre by Reid was headed clear by Townsley. Following this Smith and Walter Jackson endeavoured to rush through, but the latter sent the ball too far ahead, and Ferguson ran out and cleared before the Aberdeen forward could shoot. In the closing minutes Aberdeen attacked desperately, but R. Bruce shot weakly from good position, and Smith sent wide.

Source: Press & Journal, 5th October 1925

Falkirk Teamsheet
Ferguson; Scott, Harris; Gowdy, Townsley, Todd; Murray, Mulhall, Dougal, Hunter, Paterson.
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Brockville Park, Falkirk
Referee: J. Martin, Glencraig