Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Raith Rovers 0 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Raith Rovers 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Bruce 35.

28/11/1925 | KO:


Raith Rovers sustained their fourth successive defeat as the result of their meeting with Aberdeen at Stark's Park, Kirkcaldy, the visitors winning by 1 goal to 0, after having considerably the worse of the exchanges. The principal factor in the success of the Aberdeen team was the magnificent play of Blackwell, their goalkeeper, and Hutton, at right full-back, both men saving their side on many occasions. They had luck on their side, in that the crossbar of their goal was struck four times in the course of the game, and they were also helped I their defence by some poor finishing by the Rovers' forwards. The first half was fairly level, with good shooting at a discount, Aberdeen scoring the only goal in 35 minutes through R. Bruce, who took advantage of a slip by Moyes. In the second half the Rovers pressed almost incessantly, but were baulked at every turn by Hutton and Blackwell. Brown (twice), Dorrans and Ritchie each shot hard against the crossbar and it appeared only a question of time till the Aberdeen goal must fall, but, try as they might and much as they deserved to succeed, the Rovers failed to equalise. About 6000 spectators were present.

Source: The Scotsman, 30th November 1925

Aberdeen were a trifle fortunate to get the better of Raith Rovers by the only goal at Kirkcaldy. Although there was no snow in the district, and the sun shone strongly during the first half of the game, there was a stiff and bitterly cold wind, and with the ground very hard, the conditions were not altogether to the liking of players or spectators. Aberdeen played with the wind behind them in the first period, but they did not find it altogether a blessing, and frequently on the hard ground the ball bounced, and passes carried farther than was intended. The sun, too, handicapped the Aberdeen defenders considerably. What advantage there was from the wind, however was reflected in the amount of pressure exerted by Aberdeen. They obtained a goal through R. Bruce after 35 minutes' play, but this lead at the interval scarcely looked sufficient to pull them out top at the finish, considering they would have to contend with the wind in the second half. As events proved, it sufficed. In the later period there was no sun, and Raith Rovers maintained practically continuous pressure. All this was in vain, however. In their effort to retain their lead Aberdeen did not hesitate to risk everything in defence, and the policy was vindicated by the result.
For their victory Aberdeen had largely Blackwell to thank. There were prolonged periods in the second half when he was repeatedly in action, but whether by fisting clear, by fielding, or by kicking out, or going out to meet onrushing attackers, he defied every effort to beat him. Several of his saves were of a miraculous order, and he carried off the chief honours of the game. Hutton and Bruce, too, were in top form. They found it difficult to kick accurately against the wind, but their tackling was splendid, and they gave Blackwell every assistance. MacLachlan was the best of a good half-back line. McDermid, who essayed the centre half role, played with more judiciousness and Cosgrove showed improvement at right half. In a hustling set of forwards who had make their own running in the second half, R. Bruce, Smith and Reid, in that order, took the eye most. Carroll, the Irish internationalist, who made his debut at centre forward, did not impress, but got few opportunities.
Raith Rovers were nippy in attack, and were really very unfortunate not to have scored at least once. Ritchie, Brown, and Dorrans were the best of their front line, and in a half-back line that was not so good as Aberdeen's Grant was easily best. Moyes was the better back, and Mathieson did well in goal. The cold weather was mainly responsible for restricting the attendance to about 4000.


The opening exchanges favoured the Rovers, who went off with a rush, and Dorrans landed the ball on the top of the net. Following this the Aberdeen left made progress, and Moyes had to go to the assistance of Neish. Midfield play ruled for a time, but ultimately Aberdeen again got going, and following a free kick taken by Reid, Hutton shot wide. Play favoured Aberdeen, and from a flag kick by Smith, Jackson sent wide. In another raid by the Aberdeen forwards Mathieson had to save from R. Bruce, and had to run out and kick dear with Carroll rushing in. In a raid by the home forwards Brown dribbled through to shoot against the crossbar, and Hutton met the rebound to clear. Smith led Aberdeen to the other end, but centred behind, and a run by Reid finished with McDermid shooting over from the right winger's centre. Aberdeen continued to hem the Rovers to defence. Morris headed away a centre by Smith, and Reid, after rounding Moyes, shot weakly to Mathieson. Jackson forced another corner for Aberdeen, but Moyes cleared. At the other end Brown followed up a long pass forward by Grant to shoot against the crossbar for the second time, and Dorrans skied from the rebound. In another raid by the Rovers, Blackwell saved finely from Turner at the foot of the upright. Aberdeen resumed the offensive, and after 35 minutes' play were rewarded with a surprise goal. R. Bruce followed a lob forward by MacLachlan and Matheson also went for the ball. It bounced between them about ten yards from goal, and Bruce cutely slipped it past the 'keeper for the wind to carry it into the net. Aberdeen looked as if they would further ahead. Jackson just missed with a good shot, and Carroll turned the ball against the upright. In the dosing stages, the Rovers defended stubbornly. A free kick taken by Hutton was blocked by a wall of defenders, and he shot wide from the rebound. Aberdeen easily deserved their narrow lead at the interval.


When play resumed, Aberdeen were immediately forced on the defensive. Bruce in attempting head out just missed scoring against his own side, and from the ensuing flag kick the ball was scrambled clear with difficulty. The eager Rovers forwards surged round Blackwell, who fisted with Ritchie right on top, and from the flag kick the Aberdeen goalkeeper was in action with his fists to a shot by Dorrans. Aberdeen were kept defending, and Blackwell brought off a wonderful save from a close range shot by Brown. Following this, Dorrans rushed past Hutton to shoot with great force for Blackwell to again effect a wonderful save. After some time the Aberdeen forwards got going, and Smith shot over. Rovers were soon back at Blackwell's end. The goalkeeper cleared from Turner, while Ritchie found the back of the net, and shortly afterwards Blackwell was again in action to a shot by Dorrans. A terrific shot on the run by Ritchie was knocked over the top by the Aberdeen goalkeeper, and after a scrimmage Hutton got in a decisive clearance. Rovers would not be beaten back, and Grant had a terrific free kick blocked by a wall of defenders. A Moyes gave Aberdeen a corner, and Neish kicked clear from below the bar when Carroll looked like increasing his team's lead. Keeping up the attack Aberdeen improved, and Mathieson had to jump to a high ball from McDermid. Ultimately the game again turned in favour of the Rovers. Blackwell ran out and kicked clear from Ritchie and Brown, and following a corner kick at the Aberdeen end Smith just beat Grant in a desperate rush. Towards the end the Rovers' attacks slackened, and Aberdeen came more into prominence, Mathieson saving finely from Smith, but there was no further scoring.

Source: Press & Journal, 30th November 1925

Raith Rovers Teamsheet
Mathieson; Neish, Moyes; Grant, Morris, Miller; Bell, Ritchie, Brown, Dorrans, Turner
Attendance: 4,500
Venue: Stark's Park, Kirkcaldy
Referee: J. Binnie, Falkirk