Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Morton 2 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Morton 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Morton scorers: Buchanan 2

30/12/1925 | KO:

Aberdeen Lose Points at Greenock. Game in a Thunderstorm.

There was an attendance of 3000 at the League match played yesterday at Greenock between Morton and Aberdeen. The weather broke down shortly after the start, and while play was in progress there were fierce rain blast, accompanied by thunder and lightning. Despite the conditions, the teams put up a stirring game, and very early Aberdeen made some good openings, which, however, were missed. Buchanan snapped a chance for Morton twenty minutes after the start, and after this it was a ding-dong struggle, with the visitors having, if anything, the pull. The Greenock defence, however, was very steady, and Kelso stood well up to Smith, who frequently threatened danger.
In the second half Fotheringham underwent a severe test, and his clearances at times were brilliant. Bruce was a hard worker in Aberdeen?s front line, and he put in some grand shots. The equalising goal looked like coming, but Morton repelled the attack, and Buchanan, after a great shot by French, made the point sure by slipping the ball past Blackwell. Up till the end the game was spiritedly fought out, but Aberdeen had no luck and retired beaten by 2 goals to 0.

Source: The Scotsman, 31st December 1925

The game between Morton and Aberdeen, at Cappielow Park yesterday, was perhaps the most strenuous witnessed at Greenock this season. Morton won by 2 goals to 0. It was the first of an almost "non-stop" holiday programme of four matches for both teams. This was Aberdeen's second visit to the Clyde within a week, but this time the pitch was playable, but "only just." Fifteen minutes before the commencement, lashing rain deluged the ground, and its torrential intensity hardly slackened throughout the struggle. A nasty oblique wind further made good football difficult. But this was not all; thunder every now and then relieved the rain's monotony, and the gradually failing visibility was illuminated by lightning flashes. The conditions, in fact, made the football critic feel that he was writing a weather report.
Despite the terrible conditions, both teams made a good show. Morton evinced better cohesion, and opportunities were used to the full. Individually the Dons were plucky, but combination, more especially in the front rank was lacking. But scanty encouragement was given the players by a poor attendance of less than 1500 spectators parked snugly the stand. A drenched handful of optimists bravely withstood the elements on the terracing.
Morton were the first to make, headway, but Hutton moved briskly to achieve a daring clearance. Forbes and R. Bruce were then seen in a movement, that covered ground rapidly. Bruce's parting effort was a good one, and Fotheringham had his work cut out to turn the ball round the upright. The Pittodrie left wing was then foremost in the picture, and Kelso looked small when Smith rounded him during a thunderclap to shoot narrowly past. Up to this point the home lot had failed to distinguish themselves, but French was always ready, and a long pass from Hyslop let the winger away on his own to test Blackwell with a "rasper." In another moment the keeper compelled to save from Brown and McCartney but the custodian from Aberdeen was giving nothing away. Then came the opening goal. During a brief lull in the storm, McCartney made progress on the Ieft, and a well-times cross left Buchanan little to do but "mac siccar" with a neat header. This was but the forerunner of several thrusts, and for a period Morton were well in the ascendancy. Blackwell, however, was playing well, and saved from Brown and Jessiman. Then Jackson had a chance. Kelso attempted to pass back, and the centre nipped in to neatly intercept, but alas! his shooting boots were in Aberdeen, for he sent weakly past with the keeper out of position. Goalkeeping was none too enviable a job, and Blackwell and Fotheringham splashed about in pools of water. Morton retained their lead at the Interval.

McDermid Injured

In the second half the Dons were an improved side, and but for injury to McDermid might have snatched the equaliser. The inside left was inside the pavilion for ten minutes, and then pluckily resumed, but he had lost all his customary dash. The second goal was the best thing in the game. French flashed a ball hard to the upper corner of the goal where Blackwell brilliantly cleared, only however, to drop the sphere at Buchanan's feet, and the net sagged. The two-goal margin was hardly deserved, but even twenty minutes from time no one could say the issue was certain. Smith was ever trier, and his repeated raids were always dangerous. Of an occasion the wind carried his crosses over, but more generally Jackson was at fault or Kelso was too good. Nevertheless Jackson was persistent if inconsistent, and towards the end he repeatedly gave Fotheringham a fright. In the last quarter of an hour in fact play never left the Morton end, and Jackson, McDermid, and Bruce had attempts at goal, while MacLachlan struck the crossbar with a shot that was almost unbelievable with Fotheringham hopelessly out of reach. Most credit, however, undoubtedly goes to the Aberdeen half-back trio. They worked hard, and showed many clever moves which with better forward acceptance would have been aptly rewarded. Blackwell had a difficult task, and with Buchanan's goals had not the slightest chance. For Morton Buchanan and Jessiman were best, and Fotheringham never showed hesitation. Buchanan was, as ever, the opportunist and although Edward held a good grip of him, he was continually bobbing up in menacing position. Brown was elusive, but for once insufficiently so, for the forceful Hutton allowed little time for tricky touches near goal. In a word, Aberdeen lost a point at least through failure to combine, and above all to make use of presentation opportunities with only Fotheringham to beat. It was a hard game on soft ground.

Source: Press & Journal, 28th December 19

Morton Teamsheet
Fotheringham; Kelso, Orr; Hunter, Hyslop, Jessieman; French, Gordon, Buchanan, Brown, McCartney
Attendance: 1,500
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Referee: C. Bilney, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead