Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Dundee

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Dundee

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Bruce 40, Bruce 62.
Dundee scorers: Findlay 1

01/01/1926 | KO: 12:00

Rousing struggle at Pittodrie. Two goals for R. Bruce.

Aberdeen deserved their victory over Dundee by the odd goal in the Scottish League fixture at Pittodrie Park, their play in the second period especially entitling them to come out winners by two goals to one. Of course they had to fight for their victory, and the 18,000 spectators saw quite a number of thrills, which kept up the interest in the match from the time, in the first minute when Finlay opened the scoring for the visitors, till in the closing minutes, when each goal had to stand a hot bombardment. The equaliser came from R. Bruce before the interval, and then, when the same player, who was playing well at inside-right, had given them the lead, Aberdeen seemed to play with greater confidence. The Dundee layers towards the close showed signs of being fagged out. That was not to be wondered at, considering the strenuous nature of the match throughout. Hutton, MacLachlan, Edward, Cosgrove, Jackson, and McDermid were outstanding for Aberdeen, and for Dundee the best for Dundee the best were Brown, Thomson, Irving, Cook, and Barclay.

Source: The Scotsman, 2nd January 1926

Aberdeen gained a meritorious victory over Dundee at Pittodrie yesterday, when the visitors were beaten by 2 goals to 1. On a frost-bound ground play was surprisingly fast and clever, C , and a rousing contest delighted 17,000 spectators. After losing a goal in the opening minutes, Aberdeen rallied splendidly, and equalised before the interval. It was not until the second half, however, that they obtained the lead, and, asserting their superiority, ran out worthy winners. They were a well-balanced team, who adapted themselves well to the slippery ground. Hutton was in brilliant form at right back, and all three half-backs showed excellent form, especially MacLachlan, whose work led to the two goals that fell to R. Bruce. In attack, Jackson, Bruce, and Smith were best. Dundee were better served in defence than in attack. Thomson was their most reliable defender, but Brown rendered him fine support. Rankine as pivot shone as a defender, but lacked constructiveness, and while Irving was strong in that department he was weak in defence. Cook and Finlay were the best of the forwards, but the line lost effectiveness by a tendency to shoot from too long range.


The game had a sensational opening, as in the first minute Cook got away on the Dundee right and centred to Findlay, who headed past Blackwell at close range. This put the "fat in the fire," and Aberdeen retaliated with great enthusiasm, and Britton had to save a lightning drive from Jackson. Subsequent play favoured Aberdeen, whose forwards exerted, strong pressure. McDermid just missed with a great drive, and Thomson did well to charge down a well-intentioned effort by Jackson.
The Dundee forwards were not idle, however, and following a free kick, Blackwell did well to hold a neat turn in by Campbell. The hard ground troubled both teams, but the football was wonderfully good. Aberdeen were making a great bid for the equaliser, but were none too fortunate their efforts to locate the goal. Britton showed his ability by saving finely from Jackson, who had a second effort, which was also countered by the Dens Park goalkeeper. Cook was elusive on the Dundee right, and Hutton and Bruce were kept busy, but Aberdeen were more dangerous.
Smith shot narrowly past, and following this Hutton, from a terrific free kick, sent the ball against the bottom of the upright. Aberdeen were distinctly unlucky to be still in arrears. A fast cross by Bruce was just missed by Jackson, and there was a claim for a penalty when a Dundee arm appeared to stop a shot by Jackson. After clever work by Cook, the visitors might have increased their lead, but Barclay, with only Blackwell in front, shot weakly and wide. It was a hard and fast game, with both sets of players troubled to keep their foothold. Although they had anxious moments, neither goalkeeper had much to do. Dundee were making the freer use of their wingers, but their centres were not so accurate as they might have been.
Both sets of defenders were kept on edge, and they played well. McLean lifted high over at the home end, and at the other Britton did well to pull down a long drive by R. Bruce. There was really nothing between the teams, and Cook replied to Bruce's effort by manoeuvring into position to deliver a pot shot, which Blackwell did well save. For a time the Dundee star was in the ascendancy, and Blackwell had to rush out and fist clear from a free kick by Irving.
Aberdeen's persistence was rewarded after 40 minutes' play. MacLachlan fired in a long shot which Britton just managed to pull down to the feet of R. Bruce, who neatly turned the ball into the net.
The success encouraged Aberdeen, and Britton was kept busy. He saved finely from MacLachlan, and then, under pressure, did well to get rid of an awkward ball from Jackson. Until the interval Aberdeen pressed, but the score if 1-1 was a true reflex of the game.


There were about 18,000 spectators when the game was resumed. Aberdeen attacked at the outset and after clever work Jackson was dispossessed when about to shoot. Later Smith had a chance, but the slippery ground beat him and although he got possession he had to alter his intention to shoot by passing to McDermid, and the latter's shot was rather luckily charged down by Brown.
The game was maintained on fast lines with defence superior to attack, and that too, under conditions which favoured the man in possession. Britton saved a long high shot from Cosgrove and later did well to get hold of a header by Forbes who was injured in the attempt but was able to resume. So far the play had favoured Aberdeen, but the raids of Cook and Barclay were always dangerous, and following a free kick out on the left, Blackwell, when harassed, was troubled to get rid of a header by Findlay.
Aberdeen were making the most of the running, and Britton's charge had a narrow escape when a first-timer by McDermid flashed past under. With 17 minutes played, Aberdeen took the lead. MacLachlan started a manoeuvre which was carried on by Jackson to R. Bruce, who finished with a finely placed shot well out of Britton's reach. On the run of the play in this period, Aberdeen deserved the lead. After a fine individual effort Jackson just missed with a tremendous shot. Aberdeen continued to monopolise the attacking, and Forbes had a great chance to increase his team's lead with Britton absent from his goal, but the home right winger slipped at the critical moment. Cook led the Dundee forwards in several dangerous raids, but these were well countered by a resolute defence. The game finished with Aberdeen playing confidently, and looking more like increasing than losing their lead.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd January 1926

Dundee Teamsheet
Britton; Brown, Thomson; J Ross, Rankine, Irving; Cook, McLean, Campbell, Findlay, Barclay
Attendance: 18,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. B. Kennedy, Mossend