Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Dundee

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Dundee

Scottish Cup Second Round

06/02/1926 | KO: 15:00


Aberdeen and Dundee had a goalless battle at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen. The game was played in the worst conditions that have ever attended a Scottish Cup tie on the ground. A fierce south-easterly gale prevailed throughout, with drenching rain, and it was surprising that nearly 14,000 spectators turned out in the circumstances. Facing the gale in the first half, Aberdeen fully held their own, and although they were defending for the greater part they were more dangerous than Dundee. In the second half, when the conditions were somewhat more favourable, Dundee gave a much improved display, and although Aberdeen were attacking strongly towards the end, the visitors had more than their share of the aggressive work. The result did justice to both teams. On the Aberdeen side, Hutton, D. Bruce, Edward, Cosgrove, Smith, and McDermid were most prominent. Dundee?s best servants were Britton, Brown, Thomson, Rankine, McNab, Cook, and Campbell. The receipts amounted to £798, 0s, 6d., from the 12,261 who paid admission.

Source: The Scotsman, 8th February 1926

The conditions were positively atrocious at Pittodrie, where Aberdeen and Dundee had a goal-less draw, and they will now meet again at Dens Park on Wednesday afternoon. Although it had rained continuously for nearly 24 hours, the pitch, if muddy, was considerably free of water. When the game was due to commence a fierce south-easterly gale prevailed with driving rain, and in the circumstances the fact that 12,251 persons (exclusive of season and complimentary ticket holders) passed through the turnstiles were surprising.
In face the conditions accurate football was out the question, but if the quality of the play was poor, it was a hard and gruelling game, neither set of players sparing themselves. On the whole a draw was good result. Either might have won as both goals had narrow escapes, but generally defenders were on top, and the work of both teams earned a replay. By winning the toss and setting Aberdeen to face the gale, Dundee gained a distinct advantage in the first half, as after the interval the wind and rain decreased to a great extent. Both teams were more dangerous playing with the wind behind them than when the circumstances were reversed, and equally both had their defences to thank that they were level at the finish.


Blackwell in the home goal had many anxious moments, yet he had comparatively few really dangerous shots to negotiate. Hutton and Bruce were a strong force at back, and were at their best when facing odds in the first half. In the second period neither kicked with so much accuracy, but they played a resolute game throughout, and had much credit by the result. Cosgrove, Edward, and MacLachlan had a very strenuous afternoon, and while they repeatedly broke up attacks, their tendency to knock the ball into the air detracted from their value as supports to their attackers. In the forward line Smith was easily the best, his speedy bursts and accurate crosses being a feature. Jackson and McDermid were inclined to overdo a hanging back policy. Reid was not made the fullest use of, and Pirie, who played a good harassing game, got very few chances, either from his inside supports or from the opposition, who shadowed him throughout.
Britton, for Dundee, proved a daring and safe goalkeeper. His work, especially in the first half, was of a very difficult nature, and on two occasions at least there would have been excuse had he been beaten. Brown and Thomson were practically on a par with Hutton and Bruce, Thomson especially playing a brilliant strategical game. McNab, Rankine, and Irving proved three good spoiling half-backs, the first-named especially excelling at forcing the game. There was not a great deal of disparity between the respective forward lines, but there was just a little more harmony in the play of the Dundee van. Cook was brilliantly elusive on the left wing, and he and Campbell, a dashing and enterprising centre-forward, were the most dangerous raiders. Mclnulty on the right did not distinguish himself, and McLean and Findlay, like the Aberdeen inside wingers, were too Inclined to lie back.


Although facing the gale, Aberdeen were first to attack. Smith immediately making headway, and his cross was scrambled clear. Campbell retaliated, but sent the ball too far ahead, and Blackwell ran out and picked up. A long pass ahead let Smith dash in, but he squared instead of shooting, and although Reid got possession, the latter's shot rebounded off a defender. Cook, for Dundee, forced a corner, but failed to judge the wind, and the ball was easily cleared. The best shot so far came from McNab, who let go a beautiful drive from long range, and Blackwell managed to tip the ball over the bar for a flag kick, which Aberdeen cleared. Following this the Dundee goal had a narrow escape. Pirie forged ahead, but his way was barred for shooting, and he cleverly turned round and slipped the ball back to Smith, who was following up, and the latter sent in lightning shot, for Britton to effect a magnificent save. The fierce Aberdeen pressure was maintained, and several defenders attempted to clear before Thomson ultimately got in a decisive kick. Smith returned to the attack with a brilliant centre, and Britton fisted clear as Pirie threw himself goalwards in an attempt to get the ball first. Following this MacLachlan from a free kick lobbed the ball in front of the Dundee goal, and Britton again distinguished himself with a fisted clearance. Mclean took the Dundee attack to the other end, and a smart bit of work by Hutton relieved, but the visitors were quickly back, and Findlay shot wide. A free kick taken by Hutton just outside the Dundee penalty area resulted in the ball whirring behind just high of Britton's crossbar. For a time subsequently Dundee pressed, but failed to find touch with Blackwell. Aberdeen, on the other hand, were dangerous every time they raided. McDermid rattled in a shot from 30 yards, only to find Britton in position. At the other end Bruce headed away following a free kick by Irving, and in the course of further Dundee pressure Cook forced a corner and McLean headed wide. Aberdeen got a fright when Hutton mis-headed, but Blackwell effected a fine recovery. Shortly afterwards Campbell and Blackwell had a desperate race for the ball, and Blackwell just got there first. In the latter stages of the half Aberdeen were hemmed in on defence, but the rear divisions stood up resolutely to the onslaughts of the Dundee attackers. Blackwell saved twice from Campbell, and gathered an awkward ball from Findlay. A free kick by Thomson gave the home defence some trouble just on half-time, but the danger was averted, and the teams were still level when the interval arrived.


When the game resumed, Dundee were the first to become dangerous, and Blackwell had to run out and clear with Campbell rushing in upon him. Aberdeen retaliated on the right, but the raid was repulsed by Thomson, and at the other end Blackwell practically picked the ball from Campbell's feet. The goalkeeper was injured in the effort, but quickly resumed. Dundee maintained the offensive for a time, and the Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape when Cook having cut in and centred, lobbed the ball across Blackwell's charge, and McLean in attempting to head out of the goalkeeper's reach, missed the goal by inches with Blackwell in a hopeless position for saving. Ultimately Aberdeen again got going, and a free kick taken by MacLachlan had Britton's goal in danger, but Rankine cleared. Just after this Cosgrove let fly a beautiful shot that looked to be swerving into goal near the post, when Britton effected a grand save. There was a lengthy period of midfield play after this, neither set of forwards getting much of the ball. Later the game again took a turn in favour of Aberdeen, and there were several exciting scrimmages in front of Britton. Following a free kick, Pirie headed just wide. Dundee next took a grip of the game for a time, and a corner kick led to a series of exciting scrimmages in front of the home goal, until Hutton ultimately cleared. Numerous free kicks were given against both teams, and the game developed on grim and even lines. Two corners forced by Aberdeen brought no material advantage, and in the midst of a home attack, Campbell broke away for the visitors. He seemed to have the Aberdeen goal at his mercy, but hesitated to shoot, and the delay enabled Hutton to overtake him. Both fell together in the tackle, and Blackwell running out was able to clear. Subsequently Cook lobbed over a dangerous centre which Campbell and McLean both missed. At the other end Britton saved another drive by Cosgrove, and the game ended with Aberdeen attacking, neither side having penetrated the other's defence.

Source: Press & Journal, 8th February 1926

Dundee Teamsheet
Britton; Brown, Thomson; McNab, Rankine, Irving; Mclnulty, McLean, Campbell, Findlay, Cook
Attendance: 12,261
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead