Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Johnstone 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Johnstone 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
St. Johnstone scorers: Hart 36
Aberdeen scorers: Reid 35.

13/02/1926 | KO:


The St Johnstone-Aberdeen match at Perth attracted 10,000 spectators. Aberdeen were a little fortunate to take a point. Bad ground conditions were responsible for numerous mistakes on both sides, and, while the pace was always fast, play never reached a high standard. The Perth team held the advantage at the start, when Black had several commendable scoring efforts. Subsequently play swung round in favour of the visitors, but the interval was in sight when Reid cut in from the right and defeated Page at the second attempt. Almost immediately Hart equalised for the Saints after forcing play by Black. In a goal-less second half there was a good deal of robust play, for which the Aberdeen men were largely responsible. St Johnstone generally held territorial advantage, but failed to penetrate a stalwart defence. Only Page's brilliance prevented Reid scoring in the last minutes. Aberdeen were best served in defence, where Hutton was outstanding, and Reid was a dangerous forward. Jamieson returned to form in the Perth defence, which steadied well after a shaky opening. Whyte was the best half-back, and Black and Toner clever forwards.

Source: The Scotsman, 15th February 1926

The league meeting of Aberdeen and St Johnstone at Muirton, Perth, was in the nature of a cup-tie rehearsal, and as they finished level, each side having scored once, the game gave indication of what may happen in their cup contest at Pittodrie this week. About 8000 people watched a hard and fast game in which neither team kept anything in reserve, and taking all the incidents of the contest into consideration, the result did justice to both. St Johnstone had out the team that carried them through the preceding round of the cup-ties, but MacLachlan and R. Bruce were absent from Aberdeen's cup-tie team. The feature of the game was the rugged and dour defence of both teams, but there was a deal of clever forward play, and the frequency with which both goalkeepers were in action sustained interest in the struggle from start to finish.
Blackwell kept goal faultlessly for Aberdeen, and although Hutton and Bruce at back were shaky at the start, they later settled down to play exceedingly well, Hutton especially getting in a lot telling work. Edward was the best of a trio of sterling half-backs. In attack Reid met with most success, but over the piece Pirie and Smith also did well.
On the St Johnstone side, Page showed good form in goal, but was at fault when he returned the ball to Reid for the latter score Aberdeen's goal. Jameson was the better of two good backs, and in a half-back line that was on a par with that of Aberdeen, Whyte was best. Black was the Perth team's outstanding forward, with Toner and Reid next in order of merit.


A fast pace was set from the start, and Aberdeen were first to attack. They were beaten back, however, and McLean forced a corner for Hart to shoot wide for St Johnstone. Another flag kick fell to St Johnstone, and Whyte sent wide. The Perth team maintained pressure for a time, and after Blackwell had turned a ball from Toner round the post, Jamieson shot wide from long range. Smith gave Aberdeen relief with a run and square, but Penman cleared before Pirie could link up. At the other end, Blackwell saved finely from Black. Smith again gave Aberdeen relief, his parting effort bringing out a corner, which Page fisted clear, and the Perth goalkeeper was lucky to be in position when Jackson returned the ball hard to him. Further raiding gave St Johnstone three fruitless corners in quick succession, Blackwell tipping a dangerous ball from McLean over the bar. Reid, for Aberdeen, followed with a clever run, but finished by shooting wide. A long range effort by Black just missed Blackwell's charge, and at the other end Page had to deal with a headed ball from McLeod, and stop a hard shot by Pirie. A great shot on the run by Black crashed against Blackwell's crossbar, but next minute the home goal had an equally narrow escape, a cross shot by Reid beating Page and striking the inside of the upright to rebound into play. Following this, Page tipped a shot by Pirie over the bar, and Jamieson headed out what looked like being a counting shot by McDermid, who shortly afterwards again had the keeper in action from long range. After 35 minutes' play, Reid gathered up a pass from Pirie to run on and shoot. Page was only able to return the ball to the Aberdeen outside right, who promptly netted. St Johnstone equalised immediately. McLean and Hart worked ball down from the kick off, and the latter netted with an unsaleable shot from 15 yards' range. In the closing minutes of the period Aberdeen attacked strongly, Page being troubled to save from Reid and Jackson, but there was no further scoring.


Aberdeen were forced on the defensive when game resumed, and following a corner kick, Blackwell had to save from Hart. Pirie ultimately led Aberdeen to the attack, and off his pass Reid shot behind. Shortly afterwards Page saved from Aberdeen's outside right following clever individual effort. For a lengthy period subsequently Aberdeen were kept defending, and two corners for St Johnstone saw the Pittodrie defence come out on top. A cross by Reid was miskicked for a corner by Penman, and at the other end Blackwell had to save from Toner, and McDermid headed away from a flag kick. Subsequently St Johnstone forced several corners, but following these they could make no impression on the Aberdeen defence. Blackwell saved finely from Whyte, who later had a shot that struck the crossbar. Aberdeen survived these attacks, and Reid carried the offensive to the other end. From a centre by Smith Pirie headed just over the bar when Page could not have saved, and later the Perth goalkeeper fisted clear from Reid as Pirie dashed in upon him. In the closing stages the Aberdeen attack was much more in evidence. Page at full length scraped away a ball from Reid with Pirie waiting his chance, and Penman and Jamieson were kept busy. Aberdeen finished very strongly.

Source: Press & Journal, 15th February 1926

St. Johnstone Teamsheet
Page; Penman, Jamieson; Whyte, Swallow, Lochbead; McLean, Hart, Munro, Black, Toner
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Muirton Park, Perth
Referee: H. Russell, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride