Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Partick Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Partick Thistle

Div 1 (Old)

17/02/1926 | KO: 15:30

Aberdeen and Partick Draw. Another Cap for Hutton.

The Scottish League match at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, yesterday afternoon attracted a half-holiday crowd of over 10,000. For the first twenty minutes Partick Thistle attacked, and had the better of the exchanges, and should have scored if their forwards had finished better. As it was, Blackwell executed one brilliant save from Grove at close range, and the same Partick Thistle player headed the ball against the bar. Towards the interval, Aberdeen improved, and Ramsay effected a splendid save from a first-time effort by Smith. In the second half each goal was attacked by turn, but, with the exception of an unexpected shot by Carroll being luckily diverted, neither goalkeeper looked like being beaten. The result was a fair reflex of the game, although Partick Thistle might have won had they taken their early chances. The best for Partick Thistle were Gibson, O'Hare, Lambie Lambie, Salisbury, and Kinloch. For Aberdeen, the outstanding players were Hutton, Bruce, Edward, McDermid, Reid, and Pirie.

Source: The Scotsman, 18th February 1926

Neither Aberdeen nor Partick Thistle could be accused of unnecessarily exerting themselves to win the Scottish League game, which ended in a draw at Pittodrie yesterday afternoon. In ideal weather, the game attracted about 10,000 spectators, and both had out their best-available teams. Thistle fielded their cup-tie eleven, and except for the absence of MacLachlan and R. Bruce, Aberdeen were similarly represented. Throughout the game it was evident that the players were concerned about steering clear of accident, in view of Saturday's important cup-ties. in which both are engaged. The result was that the game, while interesting enough at times, lacked much of the competitive element and "fire" which usually mark an encounter between two well-matched teams. A goal for either at an early stage would probably have changed the aspect of the game, but this was not forthcoming, and little happened to upset the "even tenor of its way." If the Thistle inside forwards had been possessed of punch they might have put their team into a winning position in the opening 20 minutes of the game. As it was they "foozled" several very easy chances, and failed to avail themselves of opportunities presented by a slack and lackadaisical Aberdeen defence. Blackwell's goal ran several narrow escapes. On one occasion Kinloch headed against the crossbar, and on another, Blackwell brought off a brilliant one-handed save from a short-range shot by Grove. There was on the part of the Thistle forwards, however, a fatal hesitancy to shoot, and when they did try their skill in this direction, they proved anything but adepts. The game had gone some considerable distance before Aberdeen made anything of an impression in an attacking sense, but when they did, they were no more successful than Partick Thistle had been earlier.

The Nearest to a Score

The nearest Aberdeen came to scoring was when approaching the interval, Smith ran into a lob forward by Cosgrove to shoot with terrific force, and Ramsay, the Thistle goalkeeper brought off a wonderful save.
The second half, like the first, was productive of few thrills, but both teams infused a little more keenness into their game. In this period Aberdeen came nearer to scoring, when in a scrimmage, Carroll had a close range shot rather luckily deflected by Gibson.


With both teams using restraint, the form need not be taken too seriously. A gratifying feature about the result to supporters of the Pittodrie team is that the point derived from the encounter relieves the club of any anxiety so far as relegation is concerned, and the players and officials can now concentrate on making progress in the Cup competition.
On the Aberdeen side Hutton, Bruce, and Edward in defence, and Reid, McDermid and Pirie in attack, were the most successful performers, and for Partick Thistle, O'Hare, Gibson, Lambie, Salisbury and Miller, were most prominent. The last named did not indulge in much shooting, but he made many fine openings for his colleagues.

Source: Press & Journal, 18th February 1926

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Ramsay; O'Hare, Gibson; Chatton, Lambie, Donald; Ness, Kinloch, Miller, Grove, Salisbury
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Martin, Glencraig