Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Third Lanark

HT Score: Aberdeen 3 - 0 Third Lanark

Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay
Aberdeen scorers: Doolan, Own Goal, Smith.

10/03/1926 | KO: 15:45

Aberdeen for Scottish Cup Semi-Final. Third Lanark Ousted.

Aberdeen had a decisive victory by three clear goals in the match against Third Lanark, in the replay in the forth round of the Scottish Cup at Pittodrie Park yesterday. Everything favoured Aberdeen in the first half, when all the goals were scored, for they played towards the east goal with a fresh north-westerly breeze and strong sunshine behind them. They soon found they had made no mistakes in placing Doolan in the centre-forward position, he scoring the opening goal with a fast grounder from 25 yards. This was a quarter of an hour from the start. Aberdeen continued the pressure, and it was not long before Smith had increased the lead, the same player subsequently driving into the corner of the net from a corner, Third Lanark in the second half played with greater vigour and determination, but found themselves opposed by a defence giving nothing away. Towards the close Reid, the Aberdeen right winger and Hilley, the Third Lanark left half-back, were ordered off the field for an unfortunate incident in which they figured. Aberdeen also finished without R. Bruce who had previously been carried off injured. The number who paid for admission was 11,591, and the divisible gate amounted to £448.

Source: The Scotsman, 11th March 1926

For the third time in seven seasons, Aberdeen have qualified for the semi-final of the Scottish Cup competition.
At Pittodrie Park yesterday the Pittodrie team defeated Third Lanark in the replay of their fourth round tie by 3 goals to 0.
The victory was just as easily gained as the score indicates. Aberdeen were put under a handicap at the outset by the last minute withdrawal of MacLachlan, the left half and captain, through indisposition, but this was largely countered when Hutton, acting captain for the day, won the toss and gave his team the advantage of a strong wind and sun. These factors early told in favour of Aberdeen, and when Doolan, who was drafted in at centre forward, accepted a pass from Pirie and took the ball in his stride to hook in a grounder from fully 20 yards' range, the game was as well as won. If there was any doubt this was removed when, after further Aberdeen pressure, the Cathkin goalkeeper palmed out a terrific shot by McDermid and the ball was deflected to Smith. The latter returned it hard across the goalmouth and it was directed into the net by a defender.
Until the interval the play was very one-sided, and it was no more than Aberdeen deserved when, following a corner kick taken by Reid, Smith again found himself in possession and crashed in an unsaveable shot to give Aberdeen an interval lead of 3-0. In the period the Cathkin team had been overwhelmed. They had spasmodic attacks but nothing occurred to give the Aberdeen defence much concern, apart from spasmodic raids which had resulted in Blair and Hamill whizzing the ball narrowly past Blackwell's charge.

Players Ordered Off

Having confidence in their decisive lead, Aberdeen adopted defensive tactics in the second half, and were never really stretched to maintain their big advantage. The Cathkin attack was certainly more in evidence than in the first period, but defence was rather more a matter of design than compulsion on the part of Aberdeen.
The visitors repeatedly attacked, but so well was the Aberdeen goalkeeper protected that nothing of a serious nature came his way. The period was uneventful until the closing stages. Ten minutes from the end R. Bruce was injured in a tackle and had to be carried off with a damaged knee. Shortly afterwards Reid, the outside right, and Hilley, the Third Lanark left half, came to loggerheads, and as the result of the incident both were ordered to the pavilion. The referee's decision took the spectators by surprise. Battling with nine men against ten, Aberdeen had no difficulty in retining their advantage, and several times in spasmodic attacks came near to increasing their lead.
From the competitive standpoint there was little in the game after Aberdeen had gained their decisive lead. It was a case of class telling. On the home side Blackwell was never seriously tested. Hutton was much the better &back; in fact, he was the best back on the field. Pirie was outstanding in the middle line, and in attack Smith and Reid were best. Doolan did little apart from snatching his goal in brilliant style, but his play suggested that if he is played to, he will not be found wanting.
Third Lanark gave a very moderate display. Brown was clever in goal, and Aimer, as on Saturday, was the better back. Williamson was a big force as a defender, and in attack Blair and Hamill were best.

The number who paid for admission was 11,591, and the gross receipts were £684 2s. The divisible gate was £449 7s 10d.


Source: Press & Journal, 11th March 1926<

The semi-final ties in the Scottish Cup Competition were balloted last night at the Council meeting of the Scottish Football Association as follows:-
Aberdeen v Celtic
Rangers v St Mirren

After the draw had been made a motion was put forward to, suspend the Standing Orders to consider a proposal to play the ties on succeeding Saturdays instead of on the one day - March 20 -according to the rules. The motion, however, failed to carry.

Mr Philip (Aberdeen F.C.) then moved that the Aberdeen-Celtic tie be played at Tynecastle. He declared that there were now indications that Glasgow was not the only place in which big matches could he played.
Mr Brown (Heart of Midlothian F.C.) seconded, and in reply to an observation by another member about the ground's holding capacity, pointed out that he thought that the recent break in at Tynecastle was due to the fact that there were not sufficient police. He declared that if the tie were placed at their disposal the club officials would do everything in their power to safeguard the public and the interests of the Association.
Mr Brannigan (Hibernians F.C.), moving for Easter Road in preference to Tynecastle, said he had no hesitation in saying the ground would be able to accommodate the crowd.
Ibrox Park was suggested, and on a division, nine voted Ibrox Park, three for Easter Road, and eleven for Tynecastle, and on a second vote Tynecastle was preferred by fourteen totes against nine for Ibrox Park. By twelve votes to eleven, Celtic Park was selected in favour of Hampden Park for the other tie. In the event of replays the venues will be the same. Mr T. Dougray, with Mr Bilney as reserve, will referee the Tynecastle match, and at Parkhead Mr P. Craigmyle will officiate, Mr Small being in reserve.

Source: The Scotsman, 10th March 1926

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Blackwell, Hutton, Bruce, Cosgrove, Edward, Pirie, Reid, Bruce, Doolan, McDermid, Smith.

Bookings:  Reid.
Third Lanark Teamsheet
Brown (J); Brown (S), Aimer; Low, Williamson, Hilley; McWaters, Reid, Blair, Hamill, Callaghan   Hilley
Attendance: 11,591
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Small, Dundee