Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 2 Partick Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Partick Thistle

SPL Youth 18
Aberdeen scorers: Dangana 14, Strachan 17.
Partick Thistle scorers: Rodden (pen) 17, Cookson 58

08/02/2019 | KO: 16:00

Club Academy Scotland U18 League | Full Time | Aberdeen 2 Partick Thistle 2 | Balmoral Stadium, Cove

Three goals inside a five minute spell early in the opening stages saw Michael Dangana open the scoring, Thistle drew level with a penalty before Danny Strachan put the Dons ahead again. But the visitors equalised midway through the second half and deservedly won a point as they looked the more likely to win it late on.

Match report

The young Dons still have a number of players out injured by Luke Turner returned to the starting XI ? Luke was today named in the Ireland U17 squad for a couple of friendlies next week in Spain.

The game kicked off in the toughest of conditions. There was a gale force wind sweeping across the park. The visitors won the toss and elected to play with the elements behind them in the first half.

After a slow start as both teams tried to adjust to the conditions, the game suddenly burst into life.

Aberdeen took the lead on 14 minutes. Michael Dangana put pressure on the defence as they tried to play the ball out the back. He was all on his own and had a lot to do but showed great strength to hold off a number of tackles before slotting home.

A couple of minutes later the visitors with their first attack were awarded a penalty was awarded when Conor Power was adjudged to have tripped Dean Watson. It looked like the contact was maybe just outside the box. Left back Andy Rodden took it and found the net despite Mair guessing the right way.

But then Aberdeen went straight up the field and retook the lead!

Dangana again used his strength to force his way into the area and he clearly taken down. As everyone appealed for what was a certainly penalty, the referee allowed the move to continue and the ball broke to right back Danny Strachan who riffled the ball into the roof of the net.

Great entertainment for the small crowd who had braved the conditions.

After that the game calmed down a bit. On the half hour mark the Thistle keeper Luke Scullion got caught out by the wind and let the ball go out for a goal kick. Kevin Hanratty whipped in a great corner to the near post which the defence could not clear. Lewis Duncan had a shot took a wicked deflection and the keeper redeemed himself with a very good acrobatic save.

Then just on the stroke of half time Hanratty found space about ten yards out and his placed shot was very well saved again by the keeper. The only other chance in the half was when Rodden put a free kick just over the bar.

Half Time: Aberdeen 2 Partick Thistle 1

At the start of the second half the wind appeared to have dropped just slightly.

On 56 minutes Tyler Mykyta (formerly Alexander) saw his free kick from 25 yards out well saved by Scullion.

But then two minutes later Thistle drew level once more. Number 10 Callum Cookson had room for a shot from 20 yards out which slipped under Mair and into the net. It was a difficult day for keepers, but Archie instantly knew he should have done better with this one.

After that Aberdeen lost their way a bit and struggled to get anything going forward. Mair was forced to make a brave save when he cut out a low cross. Then Cookson again was given too much space outside the area and his low shot was heading into the corner but Mair got down well to this one. With 12 minutes to go Dean Watson found himself unmarked inside the six yard box but his control let him down.

The young Dons did have a late flurry when a Lewis Duncan cross was just cut out by the last defender at the back post. Then Duncan floated over a great cross which just evaded everyone. They also had a couple of free kicks in promising positions but could not force an opening. Then late on Thistle striker IJordan Kemoe had a great chance inside the area but as Mair came rushing out he pulled his shot wide.

Aberdeen did not do enough to win the game after their second half performance and Thistle deservedly took a point back down the road with them.

Full Time: Aberdeen 2 Partick Thistle 2

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Scullion, Renfrew, Rodden, Duncan, Walker, Vezza, Cameron, Griffiths, Kemoe, Cookson, Watson Subs Coleson, Owens
Venue: Balmoral Stadium, Cove
Next Match
Ross County
19 May 2024 / 15:00 / Victoria Park, Dingwall