Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 4 Partick Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 2 Partick Thistle

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McDermid.
Partick Thistle scorers: Gibson (pen), Hair 26, Gibson 49, Hair 86

06/11/1926 | KO: 14:45


Aberdeen were a badly-defeated team, by 4 goals to 1, when they left their own ground at Pittodrie after their contest with Partick Thistle. As League leaders up till Saturday, Aberdeen did not expect defeat - certainly not by such a margin against them. The defeat was all the more galling because Aberdeen opened well enough, with McDermid heading in a fine shot within five minutes of the start. The next minute the advantage had been nullified by a penalty kick, against which the strongly-voiced protest of Aberdeen players and spectators was unavailing. Aberdeen evidently played after this under a sense of wrong. To put it otherwise, Aberdeen could not make anything of their opportunities, and when Hair gave Partick Thistle the leading goal before half-time, the disappointment was keen. Gibson and Hair added Partick Thistle's other two goals. For Partick Thistle, the custodian, Jackson, was particularly outstanding. Others who did well were Gibson and Hair, the smart goal-scoring centre forward being a prominent figure throughout the match. For Aberdeen, McDermid, R. Bruce, and Cheyne were in evidence, and MacLachlan played an excellent game. The attendance was over 14,000.

Source: The Scotsman, 8th November 1926

About 16,000 spectators at Pittodrie saw Aberdeen beaten at home for the first time this season. Partick Thistle coming out on top by 4 goals to 1. The losers did not deserve to be so decisively beaten, as territorially, they had as much of the game as the Thistle, but the latter had the more smoothly moving attack and a much more reliable defence. Aberdeen opened the scoring in four minutes, but a penalty award given against them immediately afterwards appeared to unsettle them, and although often attacking and frequently dangerous, they were not impressive. Partick Thistle, on the other hand, kept the ball swinging from man to man, and, showing better combination, were worthy winners.
Several of-the referee's decisions did not meet with general approval, and in the course of the game more than once there was a hostile vocal demonstration against him.
The outstanding player on the field was Gibson, the Thistle centre half, who played a wonderful defensive game for his side, and it was largely due to his work that the home forwards were rendered ineffective at close range. He was well supported by Jackson, O'Hare, Calderwood, and Neil, and among the forwards Hair, Grove, and Torbet responded finely. Aberdeen were well served by Bruce (D.), MacLachlan, and Edward in the rear, but McDermid was the only forward to impress.

STORY OF THE GAME.M/p> Thistle were first to be dangerous, and from cross by Ness Fraser headed into Blackwell's hands. Following this Hair forced a corner, D. Bruce clearing. Practically on their first visit Aberdeen scored. Gibson was penalised for fouling R. Bruce just outside the penalty area, and Cosgrove placed the ball nicely to McDermid, who headed into the net. Thistle retaliated, and were immediately awarded a penalty for some infringement that was not apparent to many of the spectators. Gibson took the kick, and equalised the scores. The decision raised a storm of protest from a section of the spectators. Following this Aberdeen set up a determined attack, and Jackson saved from Smith. In further Aberdeen pressure it was claimed that Gibson handled in the penalty area, but the referee turned down the home team's appeal. Play ruled fast from end to end, and both sets of defenders were kept on edge. Smith had a shot blocked by Neil, and Jackson had to save a drive from MacLachlan. Just after this R. Bruce was a trifle wide with a snap shot. Aberdeen kept up the attack, and there were several exciting incidents in front of Jackson. With 26 minutes played Thistle took the lead, Hair rounding Muir to beat Blackwell with an oblique shot following a long return by Gibson. Subsequently Aberdeen set up fierce pressure on the Thistle goal. Jackson twice had to clear stingless efforts by R. Bruce. MacLachlan smashed a great shot against the upright, and Smith muddled when he met the rebound. Reid followed with a shot that was high, and after this another Aberdeen appeal for a penalty was officially ignored when R. Bruce appeared to be brought down, Aberdeen maintained the offensive, and were unfortunate not to score. Jackson saved from R. Bruce at the expense of a corner, following which the Thistle goalkeeper brought off a brilliant clearance to a great free kick by MacLachlan. Just on the interval MacLachlan dashed in to meet a centre by Reid, but headed into Jackson's hands. On the run of play Thistle were flattered by their half-time lead.


The second half was four minutes old when Thistle went further ahead. Cosgrove committed an infringement about 40 yards out, and Gibson, taking the kick, sent in a great shot, which Blackwell knocked against the cross-bar and the ball rebounded into goal. For a time Aberdeen were kept defending, but ultimately they got back to attack. Reid twice had centres cleared by Gibson, who was outstanding for the Thistle. Cheyne looked to have a shot that would count when O'Hare got in the way. R. Bruce got possession close to the goal line, but his pass across Jackson's charge was missed by McDermid and Smith. Subsequently Smith sent a terrific shot against the cross-bar, but Reid was unprepared to meet the rebound. Several raids by Torbet had the home goal in danger, D. Bruce showing up with good defensive play. For a time raid and counter-raid was the order. R. Bruce netted for Aberdeen on one occasion, but the goal was nullified for "hands." Fouls were frequent, and on this account many promising movements were abruptly terminated. Jackson, the Thistle goalkeeper, had a brilliant full-length save off a free kick taken by MacLachlan. A corner followed, and Smith shot behind from favourable position. Aberdeen initiated many attacks, but they could not get the better of the fine defence put up by Gibson. O'Hare, and Calderwood. Four minutes from the end a fourth goal fell to Thistle, Hair being the marksman. At first the referee appeared to signal offside, but on Thistle appealing he consulted a linesman, and awarded a goal.

Source: Press & Journal, 8th November 1926

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Jackson; O'Hare, Calderwood; Neil, Gibson, McLeod; Ness, Grove, Hair, Fraser, Torbet
Attendance: 16,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: R. Innes, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead