Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee United 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee United 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Dundee United scorers: Bauld (pen) 22, Simpson 48
Aberdeen scorers: McDermid 17, Bruce 85.

13/11/1926 | KO:

ABERDEEN STRETCHED TO DRAW. Belated Equalising Goal.

Dundee United, who met Aberdeen at Dundee, had most of the play, and looked like winners, when Aberdeen unexpectedly equalised a few minutes from the close. The United opened with great dash, and almost scored in the first minute. Aberdeen opened the scoring twenty minutes from the start, McDermid was the scorer. The equaliser came through a penalty kick given by against D. Bruce, which was converted by Bauld. Until the interval the United were the aggressor. Three minutes after the resumption Simpson gave the United the lead, following clever individual play by McDonald. Aberdeen were seldom dangerous, and Blackwell smartly saved a powerful free kick by Bauld. Six minutes from time Reid, who was Aberdeen's most conspicuous forward, broke away and crossed, for R. Bruce to beat Paterson at close range. It was a simple goal. The United again disappointed their supporters by losing full points when victory seemed assured. The introduction of J. Simpson at centre-forward was a success. He played a strong, bustling game.

Source: The Scotsman, 15th November 1926

Aberdeen and Dundee United divided four goals in their league encounter at Tannadice Park. It was a gruelling contest, which, despite unfavourable conditions, and in absence of good football, was keenly enjoyed by 7000 spectators. Aberdeen were much the better team in the first half, and were unfortunate to be only on level terms at a goal each at the halfway stage. For this they had themselves to blame, the forwards missed several excellent opportunities. There was transformation in the second half, when the United attack came away in great style, and Aberdeen, after falling into arrears early in the period, appeared to be well beaten. They rallied near the end, however, and rather against the run of play drew level.
Both defences were shaky, and if the forwards were clever at times, they did not sustain a high standard of play. On the Aberdeen side Blackwell, D. Bruce, and MacLachlan in defence, and Reid and R. Bruce in attack were the most effective performers. For the United, Kay, Walker, and Bauld in rear, and Simpson and McDonald of the forwards were outstanding.


The United rushed the Aberdeen defence at the opening, and Blackwell cleared while two opponents landed in the net. Subsequently Aberdeen were kept defending for a time, and McHale was prominent with strong tackling. A well sustained home attack was ultimately nullified by McGregor heading wide. When Aberdeen took up the attack the United defence was in a tangle. Gilroy and Kay both miskicked, and Reid and had shots blocked before danger was averted. In another Aberdeen attack, R. Bruce shot low from 25 yards, Paterson clearing after the ball had rebounded from his chest. Simpson shot over at Blackwell's end, and Cheyne dropped a high ball just behind Peterson's crossbar. McDonald, for the United, forced a corner, and then centred behind. After Cheyne had tested Paterson, Reid had a great run, and finished by squaring across the home goal, R. Bruce just failing reach the ball, which slipped behind at the far post. After 17 minutes Love centred, and with Paterson missing in an attempt to fist clear, the ball went to Reid. The latter returned it in front of goal, and after a shot by R. Bruce had been blocked, McDermid sent into the net. Subsequently United attacked, and Cosgrove had to be treated for an injury. Five minutes after Aberdeen had scored. United equalised. D. Bruce was adjudged to have fouled Simpson in the penalty area, and Bauld beat Blackwell with the spot kick. At the other end the Aberdeen side appealed in vain for a penalty when Bauld, with his hand, appeared to stop a terrific shot by Reid. Aberdeen kept up a persistent attack, and from a centre by Love, Reid missed with a screw effort. Following this, Gilroy missed his kick and let R. Bruce through but the centre forward sent high over with only Paterson to beat.
Aberdeen continued to attack, and after Reid had centred. Love headed into Paterson's hand's. Another centre by Love was missed by R. Bruce, and when Reid fastened on the latter shot against a defender. Blackwell twice had to leave his charge to clear balls that had been sent too far ahead by the United and on another occasion did well to save from Welsh at close range. Reid broke away, and after a spectacular run found himself with only Paterson to beat, but in attempting to locate the side of the goal shot wide. At the other end, Blackwell cleared from McDonald, and D. Bruce headed out when Welsh looked like counting. Near the interval Paterson did well to save from a centre by Love, and following a corner, the United goalkeeper when lying at full length, just managed to push away a ball that had been headed downwards by R. Bruce. On the run of play Aberdeen should have been well ahead at half-time.


The Aberdeen left wing was prominent when the game resumed, but Love centred behind. United took the lead in three minutes. McDonald centred, and the ball glanced off the upright to the feet of Simpson, off whom it cannoned into the net. This success transformed the play of the United. At full length, Blackwell pushed away a terrific short by McDonald, and shortly afterwards McHale with his head deflected for a corner another fierce drive by the United left winger. At this stage Aberdeen were completely hemmed in on defence, and fortunate not to fall further in arrears. Following a centre by McDonald, Hart shot against Blackwell's legs. A raid by Reid gave temporary relief to a hard-worked defence, but he was beaten by numbers. United again attacked, and Simpson, working out to the left, just missed scoring with a shot that went high of the Aberdeen goal. There were several exciting scrimmages in front of Blackwell, but defence prevailed. After McDermid had had a shot saved by Paterson, Gilroy miskicked and left R. Bruce in possession. The latter, however, missed the ball, and another good chance was lost. On another occasion Reid when going through appeared to be brought down near the penalty area. Aberdeen claimed a spot kick, but the referee after consulting his linesmen decided otherwise. The United goal had a narrow escape when a ball from McDermid flashed across and slipped behind with Paterson beaten. After this escape the United rallied again, and after Blackwell had fisted away from a free kick by Bauld, Campbell just missed counting with a header. For a time United maintained vigorous pressure, and the Aberdeen goal ran several narrow escapes. Five minutes from the end Reid broke away on the Aberdeen right. Paterson failed to gather the winger's centre, and R. Bruce dashed in and put Aberdeen on level terms. The closing minutes produced a desperate struggle, and Blackwell did well to clear from McGregor, with several opponents in attendance.

Source: Press & Journal, 15th November 1926

Dundee United Teamsheet
Paterson; Kay, Gilroy; Campbell, Walker, Bauld; McGregor, Hart, Simpson, Welsh, McDonald
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Tannadice Park, Dundee
Referee: J. P. Rowe, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride