Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 St. Mirren

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 St. Mirren

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McDermid 25.

27/11/1926 | KO: 14:30


Aberdeen deserved their home victory over St Mirren by the only goal of the match. From start to finish the game was stoutly contested. Bradford, the St Mirren goalkeeper, rose to the occasion in keeping out a number of likely shots, and in defence in the early part of the contest Hay, at right back, and Morrison, the right half-back, also played strongly. The forwards did not settle. Howieson at inside-left, was best. The goal for Aberdeen came in the first half, after about twenty-five minutes' play, and fell to McDermid, the inside-left forward. Miller, at centre, and Reid, on the left wing, were also conspicuous. Bradford had always to be reckoned with. D. Bruce, at left back, and Maclachlan, right half-back, were Aberdeen's most useful defenders. Especially as the match was closing, when the Paisley men made a vigorous effort to draw level, was the effectiveness of the Aberdeen defence tested. There were 15,000 spectators.

Source: The Scotsman, 29th November 1926

Although they only beat St Mirren by one goal to nothing at Pittodrie, Aberdeen well deserved the spoils. That the scoring was restricted to one was due in measure to the weak finishing of otherwise clever forwards, but also good goalkeeping on both sides, particularly by Bradford, the St Mirren last line of defence. It was always a fast and interesting game, which gave 15,000 spectators plenty to enthuse over, but both teams have played better. Aberdeen had the superior set of forwards, who not only worked better together, but shot more frequently and more accurately than the St Mirren attackers. McSevich played soundly in the home goal, and D. Bruce was the best back on the field. MacLachlan was far and away the outstanding home half-back, and among the forwards McDermid, Reid, and Miller were always prominent.
Bradford's goalkeeping saved St Mirren from a heavier defeat, and others who did well in defence were Hay and Morrison. Forward, Rankine and Howieson were most effective.


The Aberdeen goalkeeper was first in action, having to turn the ball round the post from a long range shot by McCrae. Shortly afterwards he was again tested when he fisted the ball against the crossbar off a free kick by McDonald, McDermid completing the clearance. R Bruce and McDermid put Aberdeen on attack, and Bradford at full length did well to save from Miller. McSevich cleared from Morrison, and at the other end Bradford tipped a great shot by Reid over the bar for a corner. Following this Barclay for St Mirren shot just high with a free kick. Shortly afterwards McCrae ran through to shoot straight at McSevich. In another Aberdeen attack McDermid, after rounding three opponents was fouled outside the penalty area, and MacLachlan taking the free kick sent a terrific shot against an upright. Later, MacLachlan had another free kick which Bradford saved with difficulty, and subsequently the St Mirren goalkeeper brought off a smart clearance from R. Bruce. Aberdeen kept up the attack at this stage, and after Reid had centred, Love failed to get in his shot properly. After 25 minutes play Aberdeen took the lead, McDermid accepting from a free kick by MacLachlan cleverly hooked the ball high into goal, and it glanced into the net off the upright. Bradford, who made a desperate effort to save, collided with the upright, and required the trainer's attention. At the other end, Thomson when well placed shot against the outside of the net. In another Aberdeen offensive, R. Bruce headed against the upright. The ball passed quickly from end to end. McSevich saved off a header by Thomson, and Bradford full got rid of a great shot by R. Bruce. Gillies shot badly when well placed. Howieson sent over at the home end and at the other Cosgrove was only inches high with a shot from long range. Towards the interval play ruled distinctly in favour of Aberdeen, who deserved their narrow lead.


A great shot by Miller while on the run, and a spectacular flying save by Bradford made a bright resumption to the game. For a time both defences were kept on the stretch, neither side claiming advantage, but Rankine got along to send in a ground shot which McSevich at full length knocked out and cleared before onrushing opponents could reach the ball. Clever play by the St Mirren left again had McSevich in action, and he fisted away from Thomson. The exchanges were keen, and in consequence free kicks became fairly numerous. R. Bruce was injured in a tackle and had to be assisted off. While he was absent, Aberdeen attacked vigorously, and Bradford and his backs were kept busy. R. Bruce returned, and following a free kick he delivered a header off which Bradford knocked the ball against the crossbar to clear from the rebound. Aberdeen maintained the attack, and after Reid had sent a lightning pass across the goalmouth, he sent in a fierce shot which Bradford saved at the foot of the upright. Gradually the St Mirren attack returned to view, and twice in quick succession D. Bruce kicked out balls that looked like finding the net. McSevich, too, was not Idle, although little of a dangerous nature came his way. A slip by D. Bruce nearly led to the equaliser, but Edward managed to deflect McCrae's shot when the Paisley leader got through. An appeal by Aberdeen for a penalty kick when Arnott appeared to handle was ignored by the referee, and following this McSevich did well to save from Thomson. At the other end, Bradford stopped a free kick by MacLachlan. Just after this the St Mirren goal had a narrow escape. Miller slipped the ball ahead to McDermid, who cleverly rounded Bradford as the latter advanced to meet him, but when attempting to locate the untenanted goal McDermid slipped and Hay dashed in and cleared. After this Aberdeen took the game in hand, and until the end kept up a vigorous offensive. Bradford just beat Miller in a desperate rush for the ball and kicked clear, and following this the goalkeeper effected a wonderful save from the Aberdeen centre-forward. Just on time Reid rounded Arnott, but when a goal appeared imminent he completely missed his kick.

Source: Press & Journal, 29th November 1926

St. Mirren Teamsheet
Bradford; Hay, Arnott; Morrison, Barclay, McDonald; Gillies, Rankine, McCrae, Howieson, Thomson
Attendance: 15,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Scott, Mossend
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead