Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Dunfermline Athletic

HT Score: Aberdeen 3 - 0 Dunfermline Athletic

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McDermid, Miller, Reid.
Dunfermline Athletic scorers: Skinner

11/12/1926 | KO: 14:15

AN EASY VICTORY FOR ABERDEEN. Eclipse of Dunfermline Athletic.

About 14,000 spectators were present at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, where the home team were victorious over Dunfermline Athletic by three goals to one. Aberdeen fully deserved their victory, as they were easily the better side all round and displayed an understanding that was lacking in the Fife team, whose erratic forward work was generally easily frustrated by the home half-backs. Before the Dunfermline Athletic defence had settled down two goals were lost to McDermid and Miller, who each scored in the first five minutes, but from that point to the end Young and Wilson gave an excellent display at full-back for the Athletic, and were well supported at half-back by Jack and Clark. Reid added a third goal for Aberdeen just before the interval. In the second half Dunfermline Athletic gave an improved display, Skinner and Dickson showing good form in the forward line and the former shooting a splendid goal after thirty minutes' play. From that point to the end the Dunfermline team gave of their best, and the Aberdeen defenders were frequently hard pressed to keep their goal from further downfall. With the Aberdeen forwards also very anxious to add to their lead, the closing stages were keenly fought and interesting, but no more scoring took place. Dunfermline Athletic improved on some of their recent performances, but they will have to show a decided advance inform if they are to retain a place in the First Division of the League.

Source: The Scotsman, 13th December 1926

Aberdeen reached double figures in the "wins" column with a well-deserved victory over Dunfermline Athletic at Pittodrie by 3 goals to 1. There were about 14,000 spectators on an afternoon that was ideal for football. Although they fell away considerably in the second period, Aberdeen were much the better team, and had the shooting of the forwards been up to the standard of their leading up play they must have won by a much more decisive margin. As it was, they scored three goals before the interval, at which stage it was obvious they had the issue well in hand. Apart from this, they had a goal disallowed for "offside,' and on no fewer than five occasions the Dunfermline goal was saved by the woodwork. These happenings reflect the superiority of the winners, whose merits, however, may have been exaggerated by the moderate nature of the opposition. Despite their weakness in finishing, the Aberdeen forwards were much ahead of those of the visitors, and the winners also held a decided advantage in the other departments, but it was in attack that the disparity was most pronounced. In the home defence Jackson, Bruce (D.), and MacLachlan were outstanding, and Reid and Bruce (R.) were the most effective forwards. The best of a weak Dunfermline side were Shingleton in goal, Young at right back, Clark at centre half, Skinner at centre forward, and Dickson at outside right.


The Athletic made a promising start, as after D. Bruce had pulled up Skinner, Dickson got along to centre, and the visiting centre-forward had a header which McSevich by a wonderful effort pushed round the post for a corner. This beginning ensured a hot pace. Reid led Aberdeen to the other end, where his swift pass along the ground was missed by McDermid and Miller in turn. Atonement for the miss was soon forthcoming. Reid again got possession, and lifted over a high ball to McDermid, who first headed it against the post, then against Shingleton, who punched it back to him, and finally the Aberdeen inside left headed into the net. Two minutes later Aberdeen got a second goal. Reid centred strongly, and Smith headed down to the feet of Miller, who netted from close range. Subsequently play ruled greatly in favour of Aberdeen, and Smith and R. Bruce had shots that went wide. MacLachlan from a free kick crashed the ball against the upright, and the rebound went abegging. Following this MacLachlan had a fierce shot pushed away by Shingleton, who saved full length, and was able to recover possession and clear before the onrushing Aberdeen forwards could reach him. Aberdeen continued to monopolise the pressure, and for the second time in the game MacLachlan sent a lightning free kick against an upright with Shingleton powerless to save. It was only occasionally that the Dunfermline attack made headway. Jack got up to test McSevich with a long shot, and later the Aberdeen goalkeeper had to intercept a lob forward by Clark. These proved isolated raids, and generally Aberdeen were much superior. The Athletic defence were making a plucky fight, but on several occasions were fortunate to save their charge. Following a run and cross by Reid, Smith shot against the outside of the net when he might have done better. Off another centre by Reid, R. Bruce had a great shot finely saved by Shingleton. McDermid, Bruce, and Reid were particularly lively, and it was surprising that the visitors' goal escaped further downfall. Reid shot against the bottom of the post, and McDermid landed the ball on the top of the net, while R. Bruce and Miller had excellent shots that just missed the mark. McSevich was seldom in action, but on one occasion he ran out and cleared a dangerous centre by Dickson in smart style. Skinner sent high over with a shot on the run, but close on the interval Reid took a pass from Miller to circumvent Wilson and shoot a third goal for Aberdeen, who easily deserved their lead at the interval.


A defensive duel developed in the earlier stages of the second half, both sets of defenders indulging in big kicking, but gradually Aberdeen again took a grip of the game. R. Bruce and Miller both shot against defenders, while two centres by Smith were allowed to go abegging. Aberdeen kept up a vigorous attack, and R. Bruce, Miller, McDermid, and Edward all had shots blocked by opponents. On another occasion McDermid failed to properly get in his kick, but as it was the ball bounced behind just wide of the post. Subsequently the Athletic rallied, and the Aberdeen defence was hard pressed, although nothing of a dangerous nature reached McSevich. Aberdeen again took up the attack, but while they had many shots these were off the mark. During a lull in the home team's offensive. Skinner got away, and finished up by finding the net with low shot, which McSevich would probably have saved but for the ball swerving as it neared him. This reverse put Aberdeen on their mettle, and Miller headed into the net, only to be given offside. Subsequently play was of a more even nature. McSevich had to hold a header by Skinner, and after McDermid and R. Bruce had shot wide from long range, Shingleton had to clear a curling ball from Smith. Near the close the Dunfermline goal had another narrow escape. Miller and Shingleton had a desperate race for the ball, and the Aberdeen centre forward getting there first shot for the empty goal, only to see the ball strike the upright and glance behind. In the finishing stages Aberdeen made all the running, but, though Shingleton was often in action, there was no more scoring.

Source: Press & Journal, 13th December 1926

Dunfermline Athletic Teamsheet
Shingleton; Young Wilson; Jack, Clark, Bain; Dickson, Sutton, Skinner, Strachan, Stein.
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: R. Innes, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead