Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Motherwell 1 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Motherwell 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Motherwell scorers: McFadyen

18/12/1926 | KO:


After having tasted defeat two Saturdays in succession, Motherwell returned to a win at home against Aberdeen by one goal to nothing. Seven thousand spectators witnessed the game, which was played under favourable weather conditions. The teams were fairly evenly matched, and the issue hung for long in the balance; in fact, there was no great degree of certainty about the result until the final whistle blew. The only goal of the game was secured by the home side a few minutes from the interval, and from a corner kick McFadyen, the home centre, being the scorer. In the second half Aberdeen might well have equalised had scoring chances been taken. A feature of the game was the fine playing strength of the respective defences.

Source: The Scotsman, 20th December 1926

By surrendering the only goal in a stiff encounter at Motherwell, Aberdeen sustained their fifth defeat of the season, and dropped from equal first to fourth place on the league ladder. In a game which play did not touch a high standard, but was always interesting and often very exciting, victory went to the better team. Aberdeen's failure was due to the inability of the forwards to accept chances and to an absence of combined effort on their part. Frequently one or other executed clever individual movements, but generally these were overdone, and a tendency to walk the ball through, proved unprofitable. The Motherwell forwards, on the other hand, were also at fault when it came to finishing, but in the main they were more dangerous than Aberdeen, for McSevich kept goal in brilliant style, and but for his work Motherwell must have won more decisively. Jackson played a sterling game at back, and was well supported by Bruce, but MacLachlan was the only Aberdeen half-back to impress, and he was probably the best middle division player on view. The forwards were at sixes and sevens throughout, and there was no improvement in the closing stages when Miller and R. Bruce changed places. Reid was easily the best of the line, with McDermid next. Outstanding for Motherwell were McClory, Little, Johnman, Wilson, McFadyen, and Stevenson. There were about 7000 spectators.

STORY OF THE PLAY. The opening exchanges favoured Motherwell whose forwards pressed hard on the Aberdeen defence, and Edward, Jackson, and D. Bruce in turn effected smart clearances. McSevich left his charge and cleverly disposed of a centre by Wilson, and when Aberdeen made headway through the medium of a free kick by Cosgrove, McDermid headed past. In another Aberdeen raid the same player shot wide from long range. At the other end Hutcheson skied from close in following a free kick for "hands" against Edward. Motherwell maintained pressure for a time, and after D. Bruce had checked McFadyen, Ferrier shot against the upright, the ball glancing behind. A great shot by Hutcheson was knocked out by McSevich, and when Wilson met the return and crashed in another shot the Aberdeen goalkeeper threw himself at the ball and pushed it outside the post. Aberdeen were subsequently compelled to concentrate in front of their own goal, and Jackson twice got in the line of fierce shots that might have beaten McSevich. When well placed, Wilson, McFadyen, and Ferrier all shot wide. Aberdeen ultimately shook off the pressure, and as the result of foraging by McDermid, Miller, Reid, and Smith all made headway. The last named worked into the centre only to shoot wide. Later Reid executed a clever run and centre, off which Smith brought McClory to full length to save a shot. At the other end McSevich fisted clear after Ferrier had centred against the crossbar. As the result of a raid by Smith, Little deflected the Aberdeen winger's shot for a corner, and following the flag kick Cosgrove sent in a fierce ground shot which hit the home goalkeeper on the foot , and the ball rebounded well out. In another Aberdeen attack, Reid in front of goal was in the act of shooting when Little brought off a brilliant tackle. After McSevich had fielded from McFadyen's head, Miller from the right wing sent in a great shot, which struck McClory on the knee. At the other end, Edward put an end to an individual effort by Ferrier. Aberdeen subsequently got back to the attack, and from a free kick for Reid being brought down on the fringe of the penalty area, Cosgrove lobbed the ball wide of McClory's charge. After forty minutes' play Motherwell took the lead. In stopping Wilson, MacLachlan conceded a corner, and in the scrimmage following the flag kick, McFadyen lashed the ball against McSevich, and it glanced off the goalkeeper into the net. Until the interval, Motherwell had the better of the exchanges, and McSevich cleared finely from Wilson and Tennant.


The opening stages of the second saw Aberdeen out on attack. Frame appeared to "handle" a centre by Reid, but the appeal for a penalty kick was ignored. They kept up the pressure and McClory fisted over the bar from Reid's shot for Cosgrove to head past following the flag kick. A fierce shot by R. Bruce struck Johnman, and was deflected for McClory to clear when but for the intervention of the centre-half the goalkeeper would have been beaten. Following this Reid worked the ball close in before he passed along the ground in front of goal, but Miller, to the surprise of everybody, sent the ball wildly over the crossbar when he was almost underneath it. After this palpable miss Aberdeen fell away for a time, and their defence was hard pressed. A drive by Stevenson was successfully countered by McSevich, and the Aberdeen goalkeeper had subsequently to save from McFadyen and Stevenson again, his clearance from the latter being a brilliant effort. Aberdeen rallied for a brief spell, and after Smith had forced a corner McDermid dropped the ball just behind McClory's charge. An injury to Reid handicapped Aberdeen, the player having to retire to the touchline for treatment. While was off the Aberdeen defence was sorely stretched, but the backs tackled resolutely and kicked strongly. With the return of Reid, the Aberdeen attack again came into prominence, and after McClory had saved from MacLachlan, he tipped a good shot from Cosgrove over the bar. At the other end, McSevich saved at the foot of the post from Ferrier, and further distinguished himself with brilliant clearances from McFadyen, Stevenson, and Wilson, the last named having shot from point-blank range. Miller and R. Bruce changed places in the Aberdeen attack, and following a run by Reid, McClory had to throw himself at his feet to avert the equaliser. Motherwell were soon back at McSevicth's end, and the Aberdeen goalkeeper, at the expense of corner, deflected a terrific shot by Ferrier. Later McSevich stopped a drive by Stevenson, and got rid of another effort by Ferrier. Aberdeen were disjointed in the closing stages, but their defence did well to keep their end up.

Source: Press & Journal, 20th December 1926

Motherwell Teamsheet
McClory; Little, Frame; McNeill, Johnman, Thackeray; Wilson, Hutcheson, McFadyen, Stevenson, Ferrier
Attendance: 7,500
Venue: Fir Park, Motherwell
Referee: R. Morrison, Falkirk