Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 5 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 3 Hibernian

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Miller, Reid.
Hibernian scorers: McColl 20, McColl 35, Bradley, Dunn, Halligan

03/01/1927 | KO:

Aberdeen Well Beaten at Home.

Hibernians from the beginning of the match at Pittodrie Park looked like being the winners over Aberdeen, and their victory of 5 goals to 2 was fully deserved. They gave to the crowd of over 15,000 spectators an idea of what a good going set of forwards, acting with understanding of each other, could accomplish. McColl as the leader of the front line could be depended upon to take advantage of the opportunities afforded by Ritchie and Bradley on the wings and their inside supporters Dunn and Halligan. It was possibly due to the steadiness of the Hibernians' front line attack that the Aberdeen defence crumpled up, so much to the disappointment of their supporters. Both Jackson and D. Bruce were not in their usual form, and McSevich consequently had more than he bargained for between the posts. R. Bruce was given an opportunity of showing what he could do on the Aberdeen left wing, but the change evidently did not suit him. McColl secured both the goals which enabled the Hibernians to lead at half-time, and Bradley, Dunn, and Halligan added the others in the second half. Aberdeen played desperately in the second half. Miller and Reid were Aberdeen's scorers, the last mentioned just on the call of time. Maclachlan failed with a penalty kick towards the close.

Source: The Scotsman, 4th January 1928

At Pittodrie, 12.000 spectators saw Aberdeen get well beaten by 5 goals to 2.
Hibs attacked the start, and Ritchie beat MacLachlan and D. Bruce to send in shot which McSevich cleared. Aberdeen retaliated on the left, and Robb did well to stop an effort by McDermid. End-to-end play followed, with both defences being tested. McSevich saved from Dunn, and in a counter raid Robb failed to catch a lob from McDermid but Dornan came to the rescue.
Play continued on fast lines, with Aberdeen holding a slight advantage so far attacking was concerned. Robb saved from Cheyne and shortly afterwards the Aberdeen inside-right just missed with a fine effort that flashed inches nigh of the Hibs' crossbar. Hibs retaliated, and McSevich did well stop a neat turn in by Dunn after clever play by Bradley.
Fast, exciting play followed, and Robb had twice to save after Bruce had centred.
Hibs took the lead after 20 minutes' play. A rush by the Edinburgh forwards resulted in Jackson and McSevich both going to clear, and between them they missed a loose ball, and McColl turned the ball into an empty goal.
Aberdeen retaliated in spirited style, but though Bruce and Reid were clever on the wings, the attackers seldom got into shooting position.
Aberdeen kept a persistent attack on the Hibs' goal, but they finished weakly, although Miller, with a first-timer, brought Robb to his knees on one occasion. Play continued on even lines. Although the two Aberdeen extreme wingers were making their presence felt the co-operation of their inside colleagues left much to be desired.
Subsequently Aberdeen took a firm grip of the game. McDermid, Cheyne, and Miller all had tries from long range which Robb either went out meet or stopped on the goal line, and McLeod and Miller had tries that were slightly off the mark.
Play ruled for the most part Hibs' territory, but the home forwards were not giving Robb much anxiety.
Ten minutes from the interval Ritchie broke away on the Hibs' right and centred. The home defence hesitated, and while they dallied McColl found it easy to shoot into the net well out of the reach of McSevich.
A two goal debit to Aberdeen was rather against the run of play, but for this they had themselves to blame. The defence, apart from McSevich, was none too sound, and their forwards had so far failed to finish with any effect.
Play was even for a time, but Hibs were the more dangerous, and netted a third time, only to have a goal disallowed for offside.

Hibernian on Top.

When the game resumed Miller and R. Bruce changed places in the home attack. The alteration did not immediately make for improvement, and McColl caused a flutter in the home camp by just missing with a snap shot. At the other end R. Bruce just missed with a good effort after he had stalled off two opponents. The game became very keen, and after Bruce had again shot wide, Robb did well to grab a ball from McLeod after clever play by Reid.
When a goal was overdue for Aberdeen it came. Reid made headway, and after Cheyne had crossed, Millar with a great booked effort sent the ball into the net well out of Robb's reach. This success encouraged Aberdeen, who subsequently applied strong pressure, but the Hibs' defence put up a stout resistance and made it evident they meant to stick to their lead.
Just when it looked as if Aberdeen might draw level, Hibernian went further ahead. D. Bruce in clearing sent the ball against Ritchie, and the latter centred for Bradley to score with a great first-tine shot, which left McSevich helpless. Even play followed, but Hibs. were the more convincing set of attackers, and when McColl, out of position, crossed, he found Dunn in position to hook the ball into the net, and give Hibs a 4-1 lead.
While the issue looked safe in the Hibs' keeping Aberdeen continued to attack, but while their outfield work was good they could not finish with any effect. Robb was several times in action, and on one occasion saved at point blank range from Reid, but Hibs always gave the impression they were winning. There was no concerted action on the part of Aberdeen, and while they did well in the outfield they failed to finish. Off a free kick by Ritchie Halligan headed a fifth goal for the Hibs.
The score belied the run of the play but Aberdeen were weak in all departments. They had a chance when Cheyne, who was well placed, sent wide, and there were groans from the home team's supporters.
In the last minute Aberdeen were awarded a penalty but MacLachlan shot wide from the spot, and immediately afterwards Reid got through to score a second goal for Aberdeen.
In a game that was not one-sided Hibs reaped the benefit of superior forward play.

Source: Press & Journal, 4th January 1927

Hibernian Teamsheet
Robb; Stark, Dornan; Dick, Miller, Gilfeather; Ritchie, Dunn, McColl, Halligan, Bradley
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. S. Bilney, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride