Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Morton 3 - 4 Aberdeen

HT Score: Morton 3 - 3 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Morton scorers: Archibald 15, Buchanan 26, Buchanan
Aberdeen scorers: Reid (Pen), Reid 25, Bruce, Bruce 78.

29/01/1927 | KO:


Aberdeen were the visitors at Greenock in adverse weather conditions. Morton made a promising start, and, led by Buchanan, the forward line moved sweetly. McSevich, in Aberdeen's goal, had to handle a good shot from Haddow, and only cleared partly, the ball going to Morton, who sent past. Archibald opened the Greenock team's account from a free kick. Reid equalised for the visitors, but Buchanan gave Morton the lead. The score was levelled again, when Aberdeen were awarded a penalty. Reid being brought down heavily. The same player scored with the kick. Morton again drew ahead, Buchanan being the marksman. Several minutes before the interval the score was again equal, R. Bruce counting for the visitors. For a considerable period in the second half, Aberdeen's defence was greatly harassed, Cowan and Morton being a source of worry. About half-way through, however, the visitors improved, their outfield play being smart. Many shots were sent in, and Fotheringham did well in saving them. When the game was almost at a close R. Bruce scored his team's deciding goal. Estimated attendance 2000

Source: The Scotsman, 31st January 1927

Aberdeen accomplished a smart performance at Greenock, where they beat Morton by four goals to three. The game was played in a wind and rain storm, and the pitch was sodden. In such miserable conditions there were only one thousand spectators. On the run of play, Aberdeen well deserved the points. Their superiority was particularly emphasised in the second half, when their forwards repeatedly wandered the home defence, and but for some good goalkeeping by Fotheringham they must have won by a greater margin. Against the elements in the first half the Aberdeen defence was frequently in difficulties, but throughout the game their forwards played consistently well. Morton, on the other hand, were mercurial, and after a bright first half display faded out in the second period, and were fortunate not to find themselves further in arrears at the finish. On the Aberdeen side, Jackson and Edward played finely in defence. All the forwards did well, there not being a weak link in the line. On the Morton side, Fotheringham effected many good saves. Kelso was the better back, and Burns played well in the middle line. Forward, the best were Cowan (late of Clyde) and Buchanan.


Aberdeen began well, successive attacks resulting in Fotheringham saving from R. Bruce and Cheyne. Subsequently the game took a turn in favour of Morton, and McSevich was called upon to save from Cowan, Burns, and Haddow, his clearance of the last named's close shot being particularly well executed. Aberdeen could not shake the pressure, and after 15 minutes Archibald gave Morton the lead from a free kick from 40 yards' range, McSevich, In attempting to push the ball over the bar, deflecting it into the net.
Morton kept up the attack after this success, Buchanan and Cowan seriously troubling the Aberdeen defence. A bout of ground passing by the Pittodrie attack resulted in Fotheringham saving from Ross, and later McDermid was only stopped by Hunter when in the act of shooting. After 25 minutes Aberdeen equalised. R. Bruce cleverly drew Fotheringham from his goal, and then slipping the ball to Reid, the latter shot into an untenanted net. Morton went ahead Immediately, a cross by Cowan being cleverly hooked into the net by Buchanan. For a time it looked as if Morton would go further ahead, and McSevich distinguished himself with a fine save, when he threw himself at Buchanan's feet when the latter had gathered a centre by Cowan. Aberdeen were not long in arrears, as after he had been fouled In the penalty area, Reid levelled the scores with the spot kick. Play became very even and after R. Bruce had missed narrowly with a capital shot. Buchanan dribbled through to shoot brilliant goal for Morton. Shortly afterwards McSevich effected a save from Buchanan at the expense a corner. Just on the interval Aberdeen again drew level. Spencer lobbed the ball forward beyond the home backs, and R. Bruce running through gave Fotheringham no chance. Half-time arrived with the scores standing at three goals each.


Expectations of another period of high scoring were not realised in the second half. Even play marked the opening stages. Cowan at one end and R. Bruce at the other coming near to scoring. For a time Aberdeen were kept on the defensive, and McSevich cleared from Morton. Subsequently the Aberdeen forwards again came into prominence, and there were several exciting passages in front of the home goal. McDermid sent wide from a good position following a free kick by Reid, and after McSevich had saved from Ward, Fotheringham got rid of a great shot by Cheyne. From another free kick taken by Reid, Ross, when well placed, shot wildly. Later, for a period of 15 minutes, play ruled entirely in favour of Aberdeen. and the home goal underwent a series of narrow escapes. All the Aberdeen forwards had shots, and Fotheringham effected clever saves from Cheyne, Reid, and R. Bruce. A ball from Reid ran along the cross-bar to drop in the field of play, but Love shot against the outside of the net. Twelve minutes from the end Aberdeen's persistence was rewarded, when Love, McDermid, and Cheyne participated in a grand piece of combination, which resulted in R. Bruce beating Fotheringham from close range and giving Aberdeen the lead for the first time in the game. After this Morton rearranged their attack, but all to no purpose, and Aberdeen more than once came near to increasing the lead. Fotheringham saving finely from Reid, Cheyne, and R. Bruce. Two minutes from the close Jackson was injured, and had to off, but even thus handicapped, Aberdeen were not stretched to retain their advantage. Jackson resumed just as the whistle sounded for time up.

Source: Press & Journal, 31st January 1927

Morton Teamsheet
Fotheringham; Kelso, Archibald; Burns, Hunter, Ward; Cowan (Clyde), Haddow, Buchanan, Morton, McCartney
Attendance: 1,000
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Referee: J. P. Rowe, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride