Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 2 Rangers

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 2 Rangers

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Cheyne 17, Bruce 46.
Rangers scorers: Jackson (o.g.) 11, Hair 19

16/02/1927 | KO: 15:20

Rangers Checked at Aberdeen.

The draw of two goals each in the Scottish League match at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, yesterday afternoon favoured the visitors, who were well held throughout the match, and it was largely due to the brilliance of Hamilton, the Rangers' custodian, that the home team had not another two goals to their credit. As it was, one of the Rangers' goals was a gift from their opponents - Jackson, the Aberdeen right back, sending into the net in an attempt to relieve the pressure. Hair, the Glasgow inside right, who was playing an effective game, had the credit of the Rangers' next goal after Cheyne had equalised for Aberdeen. After the interval R. Bruce soon put the teams on an equality with a header. There was an attendance of over 14,000. The introduction of community singing before the match and during the interval was a success. The singing was led by the brass band of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.

Source: The Scotsman, 17th February 1927

Aberdeen accomplished a meritorious performance at Pittodrie yesterday when they shared the points and four goals with Rangers, the league leaders, in a thrilling game. There were about 16,000 spectators, and these greatly enjoyed the game. Community singing, introduced for the first time in Aberdeen, proved popular before the start, despite its brevity. The innovation was curtailed by an early start.
Although the atmosphere was dull the conditions were fine for football. Both teams made changes. A notable absentee from the Light Blues was Cunningham, for whom Muirhead deputised.


Aberdeen winning the toss, Rangers kicked Off, but Aberdeen were the first to attack, and Gray took the eye with clever defensive play. Aberdeen maintained the offensive, and after Reid had crossed, Smith returned, and Hamilton had to fist clear. Later, Gray again took the eye when he neatly disposed of a centre by Reid.
On Rangers' first visit Morton forced a corner off Jackson, and from the flag kick McSevich fisted clear.
Aberdeen were persistent in attack, and after clever combination, Hamilton saved an awkward dropping shot from Reid. Play continued to favour Aberdeen. Brilliant combination between Ross, McDermid and Smith followed, and the last named's centre resulted in a scrimmage in front of the Rangers' goal. Manderson, however, effected a timely clearance.
Against the run of play Rangers took the lead after eleven minutes play. A mix-up between Ross and Ritchie let Hair through and although, his shot was weak the ball struck Jackson on the side of the foot and was diverted past the advancing McSevich into net.
Aberdeen made a spirited response, after several raids had been repulsed Hamilton had to run out to clear a long range effort by Smith. Both defences were showing up well with McHale and Gray outstanding on their respective side. Hair from 20 yards had McSevich in action to a ground shot, and later, after Morton had centred, Fleming shot narrowly over.

Aberdeen Equalise.

Aberdeen drew level after 17 minutes' play. Edward lobbed the ball into the Rangers' goal, and after Hamilton had punched clear, Cheyne met the return and, after diddling Shaw, beat Hamilton with a high ball which went in near the, light-hand post.
Two minutes later, a misunderstanding in the Aberdeen defence allowed Hair to get close in and beat McSevich, but the referee failed to notice a previous infringement by Muirhead. Although not deserving their lead at this stage, Rangers were settling down. A kick by Craig had McSevich in action, and shortly afterwards the Aberdeen goalkeeper was fouled when stopping a free kick by Meiklejohn. Bruce took Aberdeen to the other end, and after Smith had centred, Reid, when favourably placed, failed to gather, and the chance of the equaliser was lost. Each defence was being raided in turn, but Rangers' forwards were more dangerous.
Two corners to the Light Blues were cleared, and then the Aberdeen left got away. McDermid ploughed his way into goal, and when off his balance Hamilton effected a brilliant save, his fist out just evading Bruce.
Aberdeen were persistent, and in another great attack Bruce volleyed in with force from close range, and Hamilton shot out his fist to bring off a spectacular save. Aberdeen would not be denied, and in another determined attack Bruce headed against the junction of the post and crossbar, with Hamilton beaten.
Play continued greatly in favour of Aberdeen, and the Ibrox defence was having a warm time. A twice taken free kick for "hands" just outside the home penalty area gave Aberdeen some concern, but Edward cleared Meiklejohn's second effort. At the other end Reid dribbled through to just miss, and later Hamilton got the tips of his fingers on a fine shot by Bruce, and Smith just failed to meet the return.
These saves by Hamilton had maintained the Rangers' lead, if, indeed they had not saved them from being in arrears. Rangers were fortunate to retain their advantage at the interval.


The attendance had increased to 15,000 when play resumed. Aberdeen equalised in the first minute, when Edward lobbed in high ball, and Bruce, getting between the backs headed into the net just clear of the top of the post.
Rangers applied great pressure after this, and, following a free kick by Morton, McSevich fisted clear. In another attack by the Light Blues, the Aberdeen goalkeeper fielded cleverly from Archibald. For quite a long time Rangers monopolised the attacking, and Hair, Muirhead, and Craig all shot wildly over.
Alter brilliant combination by the Rangers' right wing, Morton, with all the goal to send into, headed over. Aberdeen were occasionally getting away, but at this stage Rangers were decidedly on top. The home team came again, however, and in quick succession Smith had two shots brilliantly parried by Hamilton. Aberdeen maintained their revival for a time, and Gray and Manderson were kept busy. In making a great effort to force his way through McDermid was injured, but was soon able to resume. From long range Ross dropped a high ball just in the rear of Hamilton's goal. At the other end McSevich fisted away from a corner by Archibald, and in another desperate Aberdeen rush Hamilton beat Reid, Cheyne, and Brace for possession.

Rangers "Rattled." Following a corner at the home end Muirhead headed wide, and Smith, from a good position, shot past at Hamilton's end. Later the Ibrox goalkeeper over the bar from Reid, but Bruce was declared offside and Rangers were relieved from a difficult situation. The exchanges were keen to the end but there was no further scoring.

Source: Press & Journal, 17th February 1927

Rangers Teamsheet
Hamilton; Gray, Manderson; Meiklejohn, Shaw, Craig; Archibald, Hair, Fleming, Muirhead, Morton
Attendance: 16,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W. Bell, Hamilton
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries