Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Celtic

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Celtic

Div 1 (Old)

09/03/1927 | KO: 16:00


Over twelve thousand spectators at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, yesterday afternoon witnessed a goalless draw with Celtic. But for some hard luck, Aberdeen might have annexed both points. The visitors' most outstanding players were J. Thomson in goal, McStay at back, and McGrory and McLean in the forward line. Jackson, the right back, and McHale, centre-half, were the best of the Aberdeen defenders. R. Bruce, in the centre-forward position, was the best forward on the field. He was well supported by McDermid at inside left.

Source: The Scotsman, 11th March 1927

Aberdeen and Celtic had a thrilling and goalless struggle at Pittodrie, where, despite heavy rain at the start, there were over 11,000 spectators. It was a pulsating game which gripped the onlookers from beginning to end. First one side was on top and then the other, and all things considered, although either side might have won, a draw did justice to both.

Exciting Play,

Aberdeen began well and from a free-kick by Jackson, the Celtic goal was in danger, but W. McStey cleared before Smith could get in. Subsequently Celtic attacked on the left and Macfarlane just missed with a ground shot. Aberdeen retaliated and Thomson saved a great free kick by McHale, after Bruce had been brought down. Play became very fast and a misunderstanding in front of McSevich nearly let McGrory in, but the Aberdeen goalkeeper recovered and cleared. Clever ground play initiated and sustained by Bruce sent Aberdeen back to the attack, but Reid centred behind. Subsequently Aberdeen played very finely. Thomson fisted away from Reid and then saved a header by Bruce. In a Celtic rush, Ritchie was lucky to be in the way of a fierce shot by Thomson. Later, the Celtic goalkeeper was in line to hold a close range header by Bruce. A slip by Jackson let McGrory through, but after making ground, he shot high over. Play ruled even for a time after this, but gradually Celtic took a grip. McGrory just missed with a header and from a corner forced by McLean, McSevich fisted clear. Later Jackson miskicked into corner and McGrory's header from the flag-kick just missed the mark.
From a centre by Connolly, McLean volleyed a terrific shot for McSevich to save brilliantly. After another Aberdeen raid had been repulsed, Celtic forced another corner, from which McHale headed clear. Aberdeen recovered, and Bruce and Smith both had Thomson in action. There was some hefty tackling in front of the Celtic goal, and the spectators were greatly excited even to the extent of shouting for infringements that were not obvious. The Aberdeen revival continued, and following a free kick against McFarlane, McStey just missed his own goal with a miskick. It was a desperately contested game. A slip by Jackson nearly let McGrory through, but the back recovered, and chased the ball almost to the corner flag. Although he conceded a corner, he saved the situation. From the flag kick McSevich fisted away. Until the interval the exchanges were keen and exciting; still, a goalless draw at that stage was fair to both teams.


Play resumed on fairly quiet lines, but Celtic were first to be really dangerous. McLean forced a corner, which was cleared, and then McGrory sent wide. Aberdeen subsequently got away with a rush, and Bruce had a shot deflected for a corner by W. McStey, and Thomson fisted clear from the flag kick. Celtic retaliated, and Mclnally had a shot deflected by Ritchie. Celtic kept up a pressure for a time, and after McSevich bad been adjudged to have conceded a corner, which was disputed, Thomson shot just over. Fallowing this McGrory was left two yards from goal with only McSevich in front, but completely missed the ball, and after a wild scramble Aberdeen got relief from a free kick. Aberdeen again came into the picture, and there were thrills in front of the Celtic goal. Reid cut in and crossed, and Smith had Thomson in action to a low shot. Then Cheyne dribbled through, and the Celtic goalkeeper leapt at his cross to knock ball down for Hilley to clear. Even then danger was not averted. Aberdeen returned to the attack, and when Thomson dropped a lobbed ball, Bruce was on him like a flash, and there was a desperate scramble, during which Bruce unsuccessfully tried to back-heel the ball Into an untenanted goal, but it hit the goalkeeper, and was ultimately sent upfield. In a breakaway by Celtic Connolly tested McSevich from near the touchline.

McDermid's Try.

Following this, McDermid made a characterise burst, which was one of the best individual efforts of the game. He beat three opponents, and then shot from the penalty line only to see the ball flash behind about a foot outside of the post with Thomson beaten. For this the Aberdeen player got a great ovation. He appeared to in injured in a collision with Hilley, but after attention, was able to quickly resume. To emphasise the see-saw nature of the game, McLean broke away and finished with a brilliant cross shot that beat McSevich for the ball to slip behind just outside the far post. Aberdeen immediately retaliated, and Reid had a great shot that only missed the mark by inches. Play continued to be of a most thrilling nature, with both defences harassed by clever attackers. Bruce forced a corner of McStey, and there was another scrimmage in the Celtic goalmouth before the ball was got away. McLean was lively on the Celtic left, and gave McGrory another chance, but the record scorer delayed and Hale dashed in and cleared. At the Celtic end Bruce had a chance but he half-missed the ball, and McStey jumped in and cleared. Again McLean showed the way for Celtic, and he caught up a pass by McGrory to send in a pot shot which McSevich knocked down and cleared. Aberdeen came again, and in quick succession Ross and Cheyne had good shots that went just over the Celtic goal. Later, Thomson held a smart try by Bruce, and McSevich was on the spot to stop a neat turn-in by McGrory from Thomson's pass. Aberdeen finished the game in great style. They came away with irresistible rushes, and in quick succession the Celtic goalkeeper had to show his best ability to dispose of shots by Bruce, Cheyne, Ross, and McDermid, any of whose efforts might have counted. It was a thrilling finish to a thrilling game.

Source: Press & Journal, 10th March 1927

Celtic Teamsheet
Thomson (J.); McStey (W.), Hilley; Wilson, McStey (J.), McFarlane; Connolly, Thomson (W.), McGrory, McInally, McLean
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: R. Morrison, Falkirk
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride