Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Clyde 5 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Clyde 3 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Clyde scorers: Stirling 18, Miller 20, Wallace 44, Miller 83, Young 84
Aberdeen scorers: Reid 2.

12/03/1927 | KO:


6000 spectators were present at Shawfield, Glasgow, and saw the home team gain a fine win over Aberdeen. From start to finish it was a fast and exciting game, and Clyde, playing one of their best games of the season, were worth their victory. They lost a goal three minutes after the start, Fraser misjudging a shot from Reid and allowing it to pass over his head into the net, but they never wavered, and at the end of sixteen minutes Stirling equalised with a fine shot. From that point the Clyde forwards, playing determined football, kept worrying the Aberdeen defence, and Miller quickly put his side on the lead. Near the interval, Wallace put Clyde further ahead with a shot that gave McSevich no chance. For the greater part of the second half it was the Clyde attack against the Aberdeen defence. McSevich, Jackson, Ritchie, and McHale put up a great fight until six minutes from the end, when they wavered under the strain, and Miller, getting a chance, turned a pass from Young into the net. Two minutes later Young completed the scoring. The Aberdeen forwards played clever football in the first half, but latterly they were seldom seen in the game, and when they did get chances they failed at finishing. Their best effort came from Smith, who struck the bar from a free kick.

Source: The Scotsman, 14th March 1927

After their spirited display against Celtic a few days before, it was not expected that Aberdeen would suffer a 5-1 defeat from Clyde at Shawfield, yet that is what happened. The first half was splendidly contested, Aberdeen exhibiting good football, and a lead of 3 to 1 for Clyde at the interval was not in accordance with the play. In the second period, Aberdeen quite failed to reproduce the form shown earlier, and although they made spasmodic attacks they were defending for the greater period of the session, and it was not surprising that Clyde brought the total up to five.
McHale, Jackson, and Ritchie offered a stubborn resistance, but the other members of the team failed to do themselves justice in the second half. Clyde were a well balanced side, their outstanding players being Blair, Gibson, Stirling, Miller, and Wallace. There were about 7000 spectators.


The game was only two minutes old when Reid broke away on the Aberdeen right, and after beating Stirling sent in a great cross shot from 25 yards' range for the ball to pass into the net over the upstretched arms of the Clyde goalkeeper. Clyde had a chance to equalise immediately, but first Miller and then Malone failed to gather, and McHale cleared. Subsequent play greatly favoured Aberdeen, whose forwards settled down to play fast and clever football. Smith, Reid, Bruce, and Cheyne all had shots, an effort by the outside right just missing the goal by inches. At a time when Aberdeen looked like going further ahead, it was Clyde who scored. Stirling, the home left half, met a clearance by an Aberdeen defender, and dribbling past two opponents, he scored with a fast shot from 25 yards' range. This happened after 18 minutes' play, and only other two minutes had gone when a clever passage of combination between Miller and Wallace resulted in McSevich being drawn out of his charge, and Miller turned the ball into an untenanted goal. After this the Aberdeen attack again came into prominence, and Bruce was wide with a long range shot. Aberdeen were responsible for most of the attacking at this stage, but the home rear divisions defended well, and few opportunities were afforded for shooting from favourable positions McSevich saved a fast ground shot from Malone, and in another Clyde sally, Miller turned the ball against the upright with the goalkeeper beaten. Towards the interval the exchanges were fairly even, each end being visited. McSevich saved a fierce shot by Hasson, and Fraser was called upon to clear a lob by Edward. A minute from half-time Wallace dribbled through to score a third goal for Clyde with a grand shot. A lead of 3-1 at the intermediate stage flattered Clyde, as during the first half hour of the game Aberdeen had been the better side.


Aberdeen began in businesslike fashion, and, from a centre by Smith, Bruce headed over. The rally was not sustained, and subsequently the Aberdeen defenders were kept on the stretch. McSevich had to save from Hasson, and later Miller sent high with a powerful shot on the run. The game developed into a duel between the Clyde attack and the Aberdeen rear divisions, but so well did the latter defend that little of a dangerous nature reached McSevich for a considerable period. After a dash by the Aberdeen forwards, Smith was called on to take a free kick, and he sent a terrific shot against Fraser's cross-bar for the rebound to be cleared. At the other end McSevich ran out to kick away from Miller's feet, and several corner kicks for Clyde were disposed of. It was only occasionally that Aberdeen made headway. Once Reid, Bruce, and Cheyne executed a clever movement, which was nullified by Cheyne shooting high, but most of the play was in Aberdeen territory, and McSevich was repeatedly in action. Seven minutes from the end Clyde got a fourth goal. Miller neatly hooking in a pass by Young, and before Aberdeen had recovered the Clyde right winger got through to score a fifth goal for his side with a fast ground shot. In the closing minutes Aberdeen rallied and forced two corners, but these availed them nothing, and on their second half display the Pittodrie team was well beaten.

Source: Press & Journal, 14th March 1927

Clyde Teamsheet
Fraser; Hillhouse, Blair; McGuire, Gibson, Stirling; Young, Malone, Miller, Wallace, Hasson.
Attendance: 7,500
Venue: Shawfield Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: A. B. Williamson, Stepps
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen