Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Mirren 6 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Mirren 4 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
St. Mirren scorers: McLellan, McRae 3, Thomson, Morgan
Aberdeen scorers: Bruce, Cheyne, Smith.

09/04/1927 | KO:


In all nine goals were scored in the St Mirren-Aberdeen game at Paisley, half a dozen going to the credit of the home team. Both defences were weak, and the score might have been heavier than it was. McLellan opened the scoring for St Mirren in six minutes by knocking the ball out of McSevich's hands; twenty minutes later McRae banged a Morgan cross in to the net. The Saints centre counted again shortly after, and then R Bruce reduced the odds, following a weak clearance by Bruce. Just before the interval, however, McRae fastened onto a forward pass from Thomson and, after a fine individual run, raised the total to four. Eight minutes after the cross-over Thomson headed a fifth goal, a minute later Cheyne scored a second for Aberdeen; and hardly had the game been resumed than Morgan popped on a sixth for the Paisley club. An interval of a few minutes elapsed before Smith completed the scoring.

Source: The Scotsman, 11th April 1927

Aberdeen went down heavily at Paisley, where St Mirren beat them by 6 goals to 3 in a remarkable game, in which, despite the big total, both sides missed many easy chances of scoring. Although the weather was good, a strong cross wind interfered much with the play, and in consequence the game was full of inaccuracies. A ball that bounced awkwardly and was difficult to control travelled quickly from end to end. Both defences were unsteady, and the half-backs of neither side were ever able to get a proper grip the forwards. There was not three goals disparity between the teams, but St Mirren well deserved to win because they opened out the game better. They had a lively leader and opportunist in McCrae, who secured the hat-trick by obtaining three goals in succession, and their half-backs worked better with the men in front than the Aberdeen intermediaries. Neither goalkeeper could be blamed for the heavy scoring, but the backs were faulty and easily beaten. McDermid was the best of the Aberdeen half-backs, but the line compared unfavourably with that of St Mirren. It was in attack that the winners held most advantage, the ball control, passing, and shooting of the Paisley quintette being much superior, and they paid less attention to individual work.


The game was its early stages when St Mirren took the lead. McSevich had just gripped a ball from Morgan on the St Mirren right, when McLelland dashed in and knocked it out of the goalkeeper's hands into the net. Aberdeen protested that the scorer had fisted the ball out of the Aberdeen goalkeeper's grasp, but the referee was satisfied this did not happen. Aberdeen subsequently attacked, but were generally held before they could shoot. The Aberdeen goalkeeper on the other hand was kept busy. He saved from Thomson at the foot of the post and his backs headed away several dangerous centres by the Paisley extreme wingers. Aberdeen retaliated in spirited fashion and after Boyce had saved from Edward, McDermid rushed in to head the ball against the post. Following this the St Mirren goal had another narrow escape, Lawson shooting the ball against Boyce when the latter was lying on the ground. After a period of fast end-to-end play, Morgan got away to centre, and McCrae fastened on to give St Mirren a second goal. Shortly afterwards the home centre-forward was through again, but on this occasion McSevich, although out of his goal, intercepted the shot at the other end. Smith missed two fine chances for Aberdeen after clever individual play. On the first occasion he failed to get in his shot when well placed, and on the later occasion his parting effort was wild and found the right touchline. McCrae, who was a nippy leader for St Mirren, got away again, and running through between the Aberdeen backs, left McSevich helpless. Subsequently McSevich was often in action, but Aberdeen rallied, and let Reid away to shoot, for Boyce to fist the bell down to Bruce (R.), and the latter easily netted. Shortly afterwards McCrae get away on a solo run, and completed his "hat trick" with a well-taken goal. Near the interval each end was raided in turn, and both goals had narrow escapes, but St Mirren maintained their lead of 4-1.


Smith missed a good chance by shooting behind when the game was resumed, and after McCrae had sent wide following a great run, Newbiggin saved the home goal when Boyce was absent. Keeping the play open, St Mirren again attacked, and from a free kick by Morrison, Thomson headed through a fifth goal for St Mirren. Aberdeen replied immediately with a well-taken goal by Cheyne. No sooner had the ball been centred than Morgan, who had gone to inside right, rushed through the Aberdeen defence to put on a sixth goal for St Mirren. The play suggested more scoring, and after Bruce had twice just missed for Aberdeen, and Boyce had saved from Cheyne, Smith dribbled through to score a third goal for Aberdeen. This rounded off the scoring, but subsequently both goals were repeatedly in danger. Boyce deflected a great shot by Reid, and Cheyne and Bruce also had efforts that passed just wide of the mark. McDermid had one particularly fine effort, but after beating several opponents he shot into the goalkeeper's hands. Aberdeen were on top in the closing stages, but their efforts either lacked power or were badly directed. There were 6000 spectators.

Source: Press & Journal, 11th April 1927

St. Mirren Teamsheet
Boyce; Findlay, Newbiggin; Morrison, Walker, McDonald; Morgan, McLelland, McCrae, Rankine, Thomson
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: St Mirren Park (Love Street), Paisley
Referee: A. Leishman, Falkirk