Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Airdrie

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Airdrie

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McDermid.
Airdrie scorers: Reid

16/04/1927 | KO: 15:00

ABERDEEN SAVE POINT AT PITTODRIE. Airdrieonians' Bright Display.

Aberdeen and the Airdrieonians had a hard, fast game at Aberdeen for their draw. For the greater part of the goalless first period it looked as though Aberdeen would come out victoriously. Ewart, the Airdrieonians' goalkeeper, had certainly the bulk of the saving to do, and it was to his credit that he came out of the ordeal so successfully. It was Reid on the Airdrieonians' right wing who opened the scoring after some twenty minutes of the second half had gone, and his namesake on the Aberdeen right wing secured the equaliser from fairly far out. Crapnell, the Airdrieonians' right back, was a tower of defence, and he was ably assisted by McDougall, the centre half, and Bennie, the left half. McPhail, Neil, and Somerville were their best forwards. For Aberdeen, the most outstanding players in what might be termed a reorganised team were Jackson at left back, Muir at right back, Edward who occupied the centre half position, and Cheyne, the inside right. Over 10,000 spectators saw the match.

Source: The Scotsman, 18th April 1927

A draw one goal each was the outcome of the meeting between Aberdeen and Airdrieonians at Pittodrie, where there were about 10,000 spectators. In a see-saw struggle Aberdeen had the better of the exchanges in the first half, and Airdrieonians were superior in the second, and looked at from this standpoint the result did justice to both as either might have won. The football touched extremes. Sometimes it was rank bad, sometimes it was good. As a combination, Airdrieonians were the better team - they clearly demonstrated this the second half - but in the first period Aberdeen had much the better of the exchanges territorially, and if the home forwards could have gathered the ball quicker and taken advantage of their opportunities they might have given their side an interval lead sufficient to give them both points. Neither team was a model of balance, but there was more co-operation by the visitors than by Aberdeen, who were often at sixes and sevens, and coupled with inaccurate passing, there was a tendency to hang on the ball too long. Neither goalkeeper wanted for work and they acquitted themselves well, Blackwell having one particularly fine full-length save in the first half when he deflected a cross shot by Neil. Muir and Jackson were the strongest department of the Aberdeen team, and it was their work, coupled with fine defensive play by Edward, that staved off defeat for Aberdeen in the second period. Ross, too, played well, but Cosgrove disappointed. The expedient of playing McDermid at centre-forward was not a pronounced success as while he contributed well, he was weak in front of goal. Cheyne and Lawson were easily the best of the home forwards. The former was injured and went to outside right in the later stages of the game, but even handicapped rendered useful service, and it was hls work that led up to the equalising goal. Reid and Smith were disappointing, but the right winger was seen to more advantage after he changed places with Cheyne and appeared in the role of a roving commissioner.
There was more team work on the part of Airdrieonians. Crapnell gave brilliant display at back, and as a trio the half-backs were anterior to those of Aberdeen, Bennie and McDougall always being prominent. Aberdeen did not have a forward to compare with McPhail, who was brilliant in the second half when he struck up a rare combination with Somerville. Neil was a quick-acting centre-forward, and If lacking in pace, Reid, the veteran, who was at outside right, showed he is still a master of the art of centring a ball.


McDermid was almost through in the first minute, and Crapnell was injured in an attempt to stop him. Shortly afterwards Ewart stopped a hard shot by McDermid following an individual burst on the right. Corners to both sides followed, but Aberdeen were persistent attackers. Airdrieonians lost Somerville for a time through injury, but he resumed after less than ten minutes' absence. Lawson, Cheyne, and McDermid all had good tries saved by Ewart, and several shots by Aberdeen forwards were blocked by visiting defenders, and Smith from good position rattled the outside of the net. On almost their first raid, Airdrieonians nearly scored, a fast ground shot by Neil being deflected by Blackwell at full length, and Somerville should have done better than send wildly past when he met the clearance. Lawson shot against the side net and later that player tried and failed to meet a cross from Reid. Aberdeen kept up the attack, and after Crapnell had deflected a shot by Reid, McQueen got in the way of what would have been a counting effort by Cheyne. Following a comer at Blackwell's end, Preston had a drive that would have found the net had the hall not been diverted by striking Muir's knee. Reid for Aberdeen lost a chance through failing to get the ball under control, and later McDermid got past the Airdrie backs, but was hampered and only able to send in a soft shot which Ewart stopped. Towards the interval, Ewart was kept busy, but although hard pressed on several occasions, he succeeded in clearing his lines. Aberdeen should have improved upon a goalless draw, which was the state of the game at the interval.


Reid had a shot blocked by McDougall when the game resumed, and after clever play by Cheyne, McDermid was held up when about to shoot. After this the Airdrieonians' forwards came into prominence. Bennie started the push, and the work was carried on by McPhail, who showed up brilliantly at inside left. Blackwell saved twice in quick succession from the Airdrie left wingers, and Neil and Murdoch both sent wide from favourable position. Reid from the visitors' right sent over several dangerous centres, and Edward, Muir, and Jackson did well to get rid of these. In a breakaway by the Aberdeen left Ewart saved a ground shot by Smith, and Reid lost an opportunity through hanging on to the ball. Airdrieonians were stretching the Aberdeen defence, and it was no surprise when Somerville sent over a centre for Neil to head into the side net. Shortly afterwards, Blackwell saved finely from McPhail. It was following this that Cheyne and Reid changed places, but the Aberdeen attack was very disjointed. Play after a time became more even, and from a pass by Cheyne, Reid essayed a shot, and the ball glanced off McDermid into the net to give Aberdeen a lucky equalising goal. Play deteriorated in the closing stages, when defences were on top.

Source: Press & Journal, 14th April 1927

Airdrie Teamsheet
Ewart; Campbell, McQueen; Preston, McDougall, Bennie; Reid, Murdoch, Neil, McPhail, Somerville
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Small, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride