Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Kilmarnock

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 2 Kilmarnock

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Bruce 88.
Kilmarnock scorers: Weir 10, Murphy 15

27/08/1927 | KO: 15:00


Kilmarnock made a long trek from Rugby Park to Pittodrie Park to pick up two points, but they deserved their victory of two goals (by Weir and Murphy) to one (the result of Bruce's corner-kick.) Their margin of victory could have been greater if they had taken great advantage of their opportunities in the first half, when they were favoured with the strong westerly breeze and brilliant sunshine. As it was, however, Aberdeen rose to the occasion in defensive play in the first period. McSevich, the custodian, and Jackson and Livingstone at back being outstanding. The weakest part of the Aberdeen team were the half-back line. It never seemed to get properly settled down to constructive work. Wilson and Yorston were best in the home forward line, but there is still a lack of punch in the play at close quarters. It was the Kilmarnock defence which was tested under similar adverse conditions of wind and sunshine in the second period. And Clemie, Hood, and Nibloe came out of the ordeal admirably. McLeod, centre half, and Murphy, Cunningham, and Ramsey in the forward line gave the Aberdeen defence a good deal of trouble. Bruce was just a fraction of a second too late in getting to the ball to drive home what would have proved the equaliser just before the close of the match. Some 15,000 witnessed the match, which, in must be said, was played under somewhat disadvantageous conditions, the high wind from the west being particularly troublesome. Both sides were guilty of the fault of keeping the ball too high, but Aberdeen were more blameworthy in this respect.

Source: The Scotsman, 29th August 1927

Notable among the surprises of the day was the 2-1 victory of Kilmarnock over Aberdeen at Pittodrie, where there were about 12,000 spectators. The atmospheric conditions had much to do with the result, and the game might be said to have been won and lost when Kilmarnock won the toss. This gave them the assistance in the first half of a fierce gale of wind, and Aberdeen were at the further disadvantage of having to contend with a strong sun which greatly interfered with their vision. These circumstances largely accounted for the fact that Kilmarnock led at the interval by 2 goals to 0. In face of the prevailing conditions that did not appear to be a formidable leeway make up, but in the second half the velocity of the wind decreased appreciably, and although the sun was still a disturbing factor, Kilmarnock were more favoured by the atmospherics in the second half than Aberdeen had been in the opening period.
Allowing, however, for adverse influences of weather, Aberdeen played disappointingly. But for the brilliance of McSevich they would have surrendered more goals; indeed, the Aberdeen goalkeeper was the only man on his side to show really good form. The backs were erratic and kicked anywhere, and Livingstone was not equal to compensating for weakness in tackling by good recovery work. Of the half-backs, Black alone accomplished anything in the matter of purveying to his forward, whose lack of height and weight was exaggerated by the frequency with which the players in rear sent the ball into the air. The forwards themselves did not do much to remedy this tendency, and while they frequently got in each other's way, they were all too prone to lapse into selfishness against a set of strong and robust defenders who, in the second half at any rate, did not stand on ceremony. Kilmarnock, who played a much more open game, were a better balanced team. In the second half their defenders were prone to indulge in safety play and time-wasting tactics which were not according to the ethics of good sportsmanship. The fact was appreciated by a section of the spectators, who liberally bestowed their satire on Nibloe, the left back, for the frequency with which he deliberately sent the ball over the touch-line from goal-kick. Clemie, Hood, Nibloe, and McLeod provided the stumbling-block for Aberdeen, and in a nippy forward line, whose physical equipment surpassed that of Aberdeen, Murphy, Ramsay, and Weir were outstanding.


After a promising start against the wind, Aberdeen were forced back on the defensive, and following a corner conceded by Jackson, Millar sent wide from close in. The visiting forwards attempted shooting from long range, and Weir and McLeod both had efforts that were off the goal. Yorston broke away for Aberdeen, but Clemie ran out and cleared, and in another Kilmarnock raid, Murphy shot against the outside of the net. A spirited duel developed between the home defence and the Kilmarnock attack, and Cunningham spoiled a good chance by shooting high. Following a breakaway by Bruce, Yorston headed into Clemie's hands. At the other end, McSevich practically threw himself at the ball to deflect it round the post when Millar was about to shoot. It looked to be only a question of time ere Kilmarnock scored, and this they did after ten minutes, when Weir got his head on to a ball from Morton and beat McSevich. Another goal quickly followed. Ramsay swung over the ball to the right, and Murphy lobbed it into the net over the head of McSevich, whose vision must have been disturbed by the strong sunshine. Aberdeen retaliated in spirited fashion, and after a series of misses by both sides in front of Clemie, Yorston sent over the bar. With the wind continuing to be a big factor in the game, Kilmarnock again got the upper hand, and there were thrills at the Aberdeen end until the ball was forced behind following a series of miskicks by players of both teams.


Clever leading-up play by Cheyne, enabled Wilson to test Clemie after rounding Nibloe. After McSevich had saved a terrific shot by Murphy, other attacks by Aberdeen were nullified by Cheyne and Yorston sending past. Generally, however, it was Kilmarnock who attacked, they had many tries for goal. Cunningham and Weir both had shots on the run that just missed, and McSevich was repeatedly in action, either assisting his backs or getting rid of balls from the wings. A bout of low passing by the Aberdeen right resulted in Clemie throwing himself on Wilson's pass along the goal line, and there was a prolonged scrimmage until the goalkeeper was able to push the ball away. McSevich again came in for close attention after this. He saved fierce shot by Murphy, and after knocking down a similar effort by Ramsay, ran out and deflected Murphy's shot off the return. Kilmarnock continued to apply strong pressure, and McSevich was repeatedly in action, clutching and clearing balls while molested by eager opponents. On one occasion he ran out to fist clear from Murphy, but accidentally hit and temporarily incapacitated Black with his fist, the ball being headed over an empty goal Cunningham. Aberdeen frequently broke away before the interval, but their movements broke down because of misjudged passing, and on the run of play they had nothing to complain about in being only two goals behind at the interval.


Aberdeen nearly fell further into arrears on the resumption, Jackson failing to clear and Cunningham delivering a fine shot which McSevich did well to knock down and clear. For a time after this Aberdeen took up the running and Yorston ran through to beat Nibloe and Clemie, only to have Hood clear his shot from the goal line. The offensive was maintained for some time, and the Kilmarnock goal had several narrow escapes. During a fierce bombardment Bruce crashed the ball against the upright, and several shots were either blocked or deflected. Following a corner kick, Bruce headed wide of the goal and Yorston just failed to get his head on a lightning cross by the home left winger. During a counter-raid by Kilmarnock, Livingstone nearly beat his own goalkeeper with a lobbed pass-back, and in a furious Aberdeen attack Edward sent behind after Cheyne had shot against a defender. With the abatement of the hurricane, the Kilmarnock attack came more into prominence, and McSevich had several times to handle. The Kilmarnock defence subsequently resorted to time-wasting, and their tactics evoked derisive cheers from sections of the spectators. Clemie stopped a hard drive by Bruce and was lucky to be on the spot to hold a cleverly hooked try by Yorston. Later, he deflected a cross shot by the Aberdeen left winger, and following the flag kick, Edward sent wide. Time and again the Aberdeen attack spent itself against the stout defence of Clemie, Hood, Nibloe, and McLeod, and it was not until two minutes from the end that Bruce found the net direct from a corner kick. Aberdeen made a desperate last-minute bid for the equaliser, but the Kilmarnock defence held out.

Source: Press & Journal, 27th August 1927

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Clemie; Hood, Nibloe; Morton, McLeod, McEwan; Murphy, Weir, Buchanan, Ramsay, Millar
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: A. Allan, Glasgow