Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Queens Park 4 - 3 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Queens Park scorers: Chalmers 4, McAlpine 25, McAlpine 42, Chalmers
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston 41, Bruce 50, Yorston 86.

03/09/1927 | KO: 15:00


Queen's Park gained their first victory of the season against Aberdeen at Hampden Park by the odd goal in seven. They should have won much more comfortably, but they made the mistake of taking their opponents too cheaply, and had to fight hard for the points, which they thoroughly deserved. Chalmers gave the amateurs the lead after five minutes' play, and fifteen minutes later McAlpine put them further ahead. After this Queen's Park seemed to have the game well in hand but they slackened off, and Yorston was able to score for Aberdeen. Before the interval, however, McAlpine restored the amateurs' two goals lead, but once again they began to take things easily, and five minutes from the restart R. Bruce got a second goal for the visitors, although he seemed to be decidedly offside. Aberdeen rallied strongly with this success, and the amateurs' defence did well to survive without further loss, until Chalmers, in a quick raid, registered a fourth goal for them. But Aberdeen continued to fight, and before the finish Yorston got another goal. The attendance would be about 12,000.

Source: The Scotsman, 5th September 1927

Aberdeen suffered a third defeat in four matches when Queen's Park beat them at Hampden on Saturday by 4 goals to 3. On a beautiful afternoon there were about 12,000 spectators, who saw a fluctuating struggle, with Queen's Park the better team during the first half-hour, but subsequently Aberdeen lost nothing by comparison and were just a shade unfortunate not to share the points. Changes in the Pittodrie team made only for slight improvement. The defence was still shaky, and although McDermid distributed play better at centre-half, the intermediate division was still below par, and the forwards, while clever enough, found their lack of height and weight a big handicap.


Queen's Park attacked right away, and McSevich saved from Russell at the expense of a corner, Jackson clearing. In four minutes the Amateurs took the lead. Scott squared and Russell allowed the ball to travel to Chalmers, who cleverly placed it in the net well out of the reach of McSevich. Subsequently the Hampden forwards kept the Aberdeen defence busy. Forcing play by R. Bruce was negatived when Wilson slipped when in a good position for shooting, and Wiseman cleared. R. Bruce was the only Aberdeen forward to make much headway, and had a good shot which struck Harkness on the chest, but Gillespie cleared before Yorston could meet the rebound. Following further raids by the Amateurs' forwards, Yorston just missed the goal when he met a cross by Wilson. After manoeuvring for position, McAlpine tested McSevich with a high ball and at the other end Campbell headed clear from Smith. After 25 minutes Queen's Park got a second goal. McAlpine sent in a ball that McSevich would have cleared, but it struck Russell and Jackson and was deflected out of the goalkeeper's reach. Subsequently Aberdeen showed considerable improvement. Harkness fielded a fast shot by R. Bruce, and Jackson got in the way of what must have been a counting shot by Nicholson. R. Bruce again had Harkness in action, and this time the goalkeeper at full stretch was just able to push the ball away for Campbell to complete the clearance. An awkward high ball from Nicholson was tipped over the bar by McSevich, and later the Aberdeen goalkeeper saved from Scott at the expense of a corner. A spell of pressure by Aberdeen followed, but the light Pittodrie forwards were rather easily brushed aside by a strong set of defenders. Harkness stopped a weak shot by R. Bruce, and at the other end McSevich was applauded for a fine save off a shot on the run by King. Nicholson was injured and retired to the pavilion for a short time, but recovered before the interval. Aberdeen came away strongly again, and Wiseman below the bar, deflected a great shot by McDermid which Harkness could not have saved. Four minutes from the interval R. Bruce followed up a lob forward and, dispossessing Harkness, passed the ball along for Yorston to tap it into untenanted goal. Queen's Park regained their two goals' lead immediately, McAlpine dribbling through to finish with a ground shot which McSevich who was late in getting down, only just touched with the tips of his fingers and could not prevent the ball reaching the net.


Aberdeen forced the pace after the interval, and Yorston just failed to reach a centre by Smith. Later the centre forward headed just over the bar, and a long drive by D. Bruce was saved by Harkness at the expense of a corner. After five minutes Yorston very cleverly passed forward R. Bruce, who appeared to be offside, and he placed the ball in the net, the referee not hesitating to award goal. For a time after this Aberdeen had much the better of the exchanges, and off a pass by Yorston Smith ought to have scored, but he shot wide from close in. At the other end McSevich cleared from Scott, and Jackson pulled up Russell when the latter was dangerous. A shot by Yorston was charged down, and later a goalmouth pass by Wilson was intercepted by Campbell. Queen's Park rallied after this, and D. Bruce got in the way of a scoring shot by Nicholson. Smith again shot wide from favourable position, and McSevich tipped a great shot by Russell over the bar, later to fist away from the flag kick. The Aberdeen attack again came into prominence, and Harkness did well to stop a great shot by Yorston. In a breakaway by Queen's Park, Chalmers obtained a fourth goal with a fast ball which McSevich touched but could not stop. Forcing play by R. Bruce again gave Smith a chance, but the winger once more shot wide of the goal, and later there was no colleague "up" when Wilson passed the ball in front of an untenanted goal. McSevich was again in action to a shot by Chalmers, and McAlpine, after rounding several opponents, shot wide. Four minutes from the end R. Bruce slipped an accurate pass to Yorston, and the centre forward very smartly got a third goal for Aberdeen, who were superior in the closing stages, but just failed to draw level.

Source: Press & Journal, 5th September 1927

Queens Park Teamsheet
J. H. Harkness; K. Campbell, W. Wiseman; J. Langmuir, R. Gillespie, W. S. King; E. R. Scott, W. S. Chalmers, B. Russell, J. B. McAlpine, W. G. Nicholson
Attendance: 11,500
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Referee: A. B. Williamson, Glasgow