Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 2 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Hibernian

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Love 36, Cheyne 50, Cheyne 51, Cheyne.
Hibernian scorers: McColl 35, McColl

10/09/1927 | KO:


Last season the Hibernians won by 5 goals to 2 at Aberdeen, but on Saturday such a result was never in prospect. Robb was back in the Hibernian goal, while Lawson, the ex-Ranger, was played at half-back by Aberdeen. The latter player had a good deal to do with the result. He steadied upp the half-back line, which soon got the better of the Hibernian attack, and play was mostly in front of Robb. Good goalkeeping and stout defence kept the Aberdonians out, and then, to the chagrin of the crowd, the Hibernians broke away and McColl scored. The lead was only held for two minutes, Love equalising in a scramble. Soon after resuming Cheyne scored for Aberdeen, and followed it up with two others, all lovely goals and got inside fourteen minutes. The Hibernians were badly out of it for half an hour, but they made a recovery, scored through McColl after Ritchie had crossed, and then held their own to the end. The Hibernians were weak at half back and back, and the forwards got no support. Aberdeen?s middle line work and the shooting of Cheyne made the winning of the game easy. A crowd of about 10,000 were delighted with the result.

Source: The Scotsman, 12th September 1927

Aberdeen experienced a welcome revival at Pittodrie, where they defeated Hibernian by 4 goals to 2, and registered their first home victory of the season. About ten thousand persons witnessed an interesting enough struggle, in which the points went to the better team, although the display of neither could be characterised as brilliant. A feature of the game was the success of Cheyne, the home inside right, who in a period of about ten minutes in the second half scored three delightful goals. There was a marked improvement in the half-back and forward play of Aberdeen, and the victory might have been more decisive but for the fact that Wilson, their outside right, was crippled for the greater period of the second half, and had finally to withdraw from the game. McSevich played well in the Aberdeen goal, and Jackson was the better of two backs who were not at all reliable at times. The half-backs played a strong part in Aberdeen's victory, and the line was undoubtedly strengthened by the inclusion of Lawson. All three paid much attention to the constructive department of their game, and as the result the forwards benefited greatly, but all three appeared to tire perceptibly during the last twenty minutes, when Hibernian rallied strongly but in vain. Forward, Cheyne and R. Bruce proved clever inside wingers, and Yorston, although not a scorer, kept the balance of the line. Love strengthened the left wing, and until he was injured Wilson met with fair success on the right. Hibernian were splendidly served by Robb in goal and McGonnigle and Stark were powerful backs, but the half-backs were weak, and the forwards suffered because of the amount of foraging they had to do.


At the start Aberdeen attacked, and after Love had forced an unproductive corner, Dick disposed of a centre by Wilson. In a Hibernian raid, Bradley centred in near, and later McSevich fisted clear from Finlay. At the other end, Cheyne had a terrific shot deflected over the bar by Robb, and subsequently the Edinburgh defence was hard pressed. Following other two corners for Aberdeen, Edward shot high. Dunn for the Hibs forced a corner, McSevich fisting clear. Aberdeen kept up strong pressure, and it was only the resolute kicking and tackling of the Edinburgh halfbacks and backs that prevented a score at this stage. Yorston headed just high of the goal, and later Robb brought off a grand save off the centre forward's header. After having been on the defensive for a quarter of an hour, Hibernian got away on the left, and Dunn just missed with a strong shot after Bradley had cut in and passed. With 35 minutes played Bruce (D.), the home left back, missed his kick, and McColl, who was in close attendance, netted from close range. Aberdeen were not long in arrears, from Wilson's centre Love netted from close in. In another Aberdeen attack Love sent in a swerving ball, which Robb pulled from underneath the bar, and Yorston just failed to reach the clearance. Towards the interval play greatly favoured Aberdeen. Robb saved brilliantly from Cheyne, and later was in the nick of time in running out and clearing from Yorston, who later just missed with a capital shot. A draw at the interval scarcely did justice to Aberdeen, who were much superior at half-back and forward.


Aberdeen were forced on the defensive in the early stage of the second half, McDermid and Jackson showing up well. Afterwards the home team shook off the pressure, and in five minutes following a free kick by Lawson. Cheyne swung round to shoot a brilliant goal. About a minute later R. Bruce wriggled his way through the Edinburgh defence, and while they claimed for an infringement - probably offside - Cheyne again netted with a fast ground shot. These reverses rattled the visitors and some roughness crept into the game the referee having to intervene between Lawson and Dunn. Wilson was injured and was carried off by the trainer, but was able return later, although his injury made him of little further use to his team. He managed to square the ball on one occasion, however, and Cheyne netted an attempted clearance by McGonnigle to complete his hat trick and register the fourth goal for Aberdeen. Wilson again retired, but even with ten men Aberdeen fully held their own. Hibernian ultimately showed a big improvement, while Aberdeen obviously slackened off. After persistent pressure, Mcoll headed through off a centre by Ritchie, McSevich stopping the ball, but not before it had crossed the line. Following this, Hibernian repeatedly attacked, and McSevich saved brilliantly from Dunn and Mcoll. On another occasion the Aberdeen goalkeeper ran out and the ball was sent wide of him, but Jackson saved the situation by deliberately kicking into corner. Towards the close, Aberdeen rallied again, and Robb brought off spectacular saves from R. Bruce and Yorston.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 12th September 1927

Hibernian Teamsheet
Robb; McGonnigle, Stark; Finlay, Dick, Murray; Ritchie, Dunn, McColl, Halligan, Bradley
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W. Bell, Motherwell
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride