Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 St. Johnstone

HT Score: Aberdeen 3 - 0 St. Johnstone

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Bruce 10, Yorston 22, Cheyne 43, Yorston 88.

26/09/1927 | KO: 11:00

Smashing Victory for Aberdeen. ST JOHNSTONE ECLIPSED.

Aberdeen thoroughly deserved their victory of four goals over St Johnstone in the Scottish League holiday match at Pittodrie Park yesterday, although the Perth visitors were somewhat unfortunate in not getting one or two of their shots at close quarters into the net. There were 12,000 spectators. Bruce opened the scoring, and a few minutes later Yorston added a second goal, while the third came from Cheyne, who closed in on a pass from Smith. St Johnstone, with the breeze in their favour in the second half, had more of the play, and were unfortunate in not breaking down the stubborn defence set up by McSevich, the Aberdeen custodian, and the backs, Jackson and Muir. Their luck was out, too, when three minutes from the close of the match they saw Aberdeen score a fourth goal. Yorston making no mistake with Love?s fine pass. Aberdeen forwards seemed to have found their form in yesterday?s match.

Source: The Scotsman, 27th September 1927

The Aberdeen team again delighted its supporters yesterday, when St Johnstone were trounced in a Scottish League match at Pittodrie by 4 goals to 0. The game attracted about 11,000 spectators, and these were served up with a delightful display by the home team. Assisted by a fairly strong wind in the first half, Aberdeen settled down to pretty combination. The half-backs early took a hold of the game, and keeping the ball low, they cooperated brilliantly with their forwards. The latter, too, responded in great style, and a 3-0 lead at the interval was well deserved. When St Johnstone had the assistance of the wind in the second period, they had more of the play territorially, but their forwards shot from too far out, and at close quarters they lost several opportunities through failure to get the ball quickly under control. Aberdeen, on the other hand, were dangerous every time they attacked, and it was no more than their due when they obtained a fourth goal near the close. Goal was the only position in which St Johnstone compared favourably with Aberdeen, although the play of Muir, introduced at left back, and Smith, at outside left, did not approach the high standard of their colleagues. McSevich and Jackson both played very soundly, and Black, McDermid, and Lawson touched high-water mark with their play, the all-round work of the centre-half being a feature of the game. Forward Cheyne, Yorston, and Bruce were a brilliant inside trio, and Love at outside right was the most dangerous winger on the field.
St Johnstone were weakly served at back and wing half, and but for the good work of Page and Swallow must have suffered a heavier defeat. Forward Gavigan was the only one to make his mark, but he made the mistake of sending his crosses beyond the reach of his colleagues.

Goals and Thrills.

The visitors made headway at the start, and McFarlane sent wide from long range. It was left to Yorston to provide the first thrill. Although harassed by Swallow, the little centre-forward worked through to shoot, and with Page in a hopeless position for saving, the ball flashed inches wide of the goal.
Both teams subsequently played fast, nippy football, accurate passing being a feature. Page ran out and kicked clear when Bruce was running through, and at the other end McSevich dropped a high ball from McFarlane, but Munro shot wide and lost a great chance. Aberdeen took the lead in ten minutes. A miskick by Lafferty let Love away, and from the winger's accurate pass, Cheyne had shot deflected to Bruce, who ran on to crash the ball into the net from 25 yards' range.
Aberdeen had an anxious moment following this, Muir completely missing his kick, but McSevich came to the rescue after the ball had rebounded from his chest.
Aberdeen subsequently played fine football. Love scampered away on the right, and, following Cheyne's cross, Page ran out and missed the ball. With the 'keeper still out, Smith sent into the open goal, but Page turned round and dived on the top of the ball as it was crossing the line. It was a spectacular save, and an exciting incident which ended in the Perth goalkeeper getting relief when free kick was given against the Aberdeen forwards.
Aberdeen continued to have much the better of the exchanges, and Cheyne had a shot that slithered wide.
Clever play by Gavigan led to McSevich fisting away, and he was lucky to be in position when Main fastened on to the clearance.

Aberdeen Again.

With 22 minutes played Aberdeen increased their lead. A high ball down the centre caused commotion in the Perth rear, and after Steele had miskicked and Lafferty had failed at a header and Page had missed, Yorston from what appeared a non-scoring angle swung round to flash the ball like lightning into the net. It was a rare bit of opportunism on the part of the Aberdeen centre-forward.
Subsequently the Aberdeen forwards and half-backs played delightful football, and it was only Smith's weakness on the left that upset the smooth working. Cheyne showered in two shots in quick succession, and it was by a desperate effort that Page kicked clear after the ball had struck his chest and Yorston was right on top of him
Bruce was fouled and injured, but was soon able to continue. From the free kick, taken by Smith, Yorston's effort to turn the ball through was miskicked into the corner by Page.
The game continued to be largely a one-team show. A fierce shot by Cheyne was brilliantly deflected by Page at the expense of a corner.
Subsequently the Perth forwards enjoyed a brief spell of attacking and it was a desperate tackle by Lawson that saved the situation for Aberdeen when Munro was about to shoot. Weakness in tackling by Muir let Gavigan away, but McSevich was in the spot.
Towards the interval Aberdeen again came away strongly, and just on half-time Aberdeen got a third goal. Smith had a fierce shot pushed aside by Page, and Cheyne lying handy, crashed the ball into the net. Page protested that the goal was offside, but the referee, after consulting the linesman, awarded a goal.

Aberdeen thoroughly merited their 3-0 lead, but it had to be remembered that they had the assistance of a strong wind.

Visitors' Weak Finishing.

Play ruled from end to end in the opening minutes of the second half. Munro got through to lob a ball against the crossbar, but the referee had previously pulled him up for an infringement. Aberdeen were still playing superior football, and when Lafferty miskicked Page had to run wide to the penalty area to prevent a corner.
St Johnstone made determined efforts to get into touch with McSevich, but their efforts were not methodical and their passing inaccurate.
A high centre by Gavigan was fielded by the Aberdeen goalkeeper, and later he had to hold a bouncing ball when Munro was harassing him.
If they were largely on the defensive, Aberdeen still served up the football. The Perth forwards were failing to gauge the wind, and Gavigan's centre developed into a shot which McSevich dealt with confidently. Aberdeen made frequent excursions into Perth territory, but a hard backpass by Penman was the most serious effort Page had to deal with for some time. In the raid by the Saints' left, Main had a chance to shoot, but hesitated, and McDermid gave him no second chance. A run and centre by Smith resulted in Love heading into Page's hands.
A free kick taken by Swallow just outside the penalty area was cleared by Smith who later created a "breeze" in the Saints' rear with an accurate cross, which came to grief at Steele.
Subsequently St Johnstone were very much on the offensive, but their finishing was lamentably weak. McFarlane sent yards wide, and although McSevich had to field from Gavigan and clear from Bolton both these players must have meant their efforts for crosses. Gavigan was injured and had to retire to the touchline for a brief period. After Smith and Bruce had had efforts checked Saints again took up the attack. Slowness to gather lost Munro a chance, and Jackson got in the way of a shot by Main that might have counted.

Narrow Escape.

After Page had saved from Smith, following a centre by Love, the Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape. McSevich left his goal to field a ball as Munro rushed in, and when McDermid collided with the Perth centre-forward the force of the impact almost knocked the Aberdeen goalkeeper over the line, ball in hand. As it was, he saved the situation by "touching down" against the post.
After this escape Aberdeen came away again. Yorston let Love away, and when the winger crossed, Smith dashed in to batter the ball against Page.
In the closing stages St Johnstone made determined efforts to beat McSevich. Twice in quick succession the Aberdeen goalkeeper jumped out to fist away high balls, and he had a spectacular save when, with one hand, he deflected what looked like being a certain counting shot by McFarlane.
Just on time Love got away to cross and after Cheyne had missed Yorston slammed the ball into the net to complete the discomfiture of the visitors.

Source: Press & Journal, 27th September 1927

St. Johnstone Teamsheet
Page; Penman, Steele; Bolton, Swallow, Lafferty; Gavigan, Main, Munro, McFarlane, Nicholson
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: R. Innes, Glasgow
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen