Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Dunfermline Athletic

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Dunfermline Athletic

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Bruce 18, Smith 41.
Dunfermline Athletic scorers: Skinner 47

08/10/1927 | KO: 15:00


Aberdeen were lucky to secure both points in their match at home against Dunfermline Athletic by the odd goal in the three scored. Bruce and Smith had the home team's goals in the first half, and Skinner headed through the Athletic's only goal in the second period. There was never any slacking in Dunfermline Athletic's play from start to finish, and they were unfortunate not to find an opening in the first half when they had the westerly breeze in their favour. Even a penalty kick failed to give a goal that would have been the equaliser. McSevich stopped Wilson's hard shot, and the Fife player in making a second attempt saw the ball strike the crossbar and again rebound into play. The defenders had a most anxious time. Probably the mistake was made by the visitors, when they had the wind in their favour, in sending shot after shot from fairly far out. The Dunfermline team soon let it be known in the second half what they could do, and Skinner's header a couple of minutes after the resumption gave McSevich no chance of saving. They did most of the pressing. The match was value for a draw, if not for a win by the Dunfermline team. Aberdeen's shooting for goal was often faulty. There were about 12,000 spectators.

Source: The Scotsman, 10th October 1927

There was no lack of excitement at Pittodrie where Aberdeen defeated Dunfermline Athletic by 2 goals to 1. There were about 12,000 spectators. The Athletic had the assistance of the breeze in the first half, but they failed to utilise this advantage, and their failure to score can be attributed largely to a tendency to shoot from too far out, and Aberdeen, although at a disadvantage with the wind, were more dangerous in attack, a fact that was reflected in their 2-0 lead at the interval. It was a seesaw struggle' throughout, in which both sides enjoyed periods of ascendency. This was particularly so in the second half, when, although Aberdeen at times threatened to overwhelm the opposition, Dunfermline fought back with great spirit, and apart from the success that fell to them early on, they frequently had the Aberdeen goal in serious danger.


The game was 18 minutes old, and both goals had run narrow escapes, before Bruce accepted a pass from Lawson to put Aberdeen ahead with an unsaveable shot from 20 yards' range. Shortly afterwards, during a raid by the Athletic, Jackson was adjudged to have "handled" in the penalty area. Wilson took the spot kick, but shot straight at McSevich. The ball rebounded to Wilson, who on his second attempt headed it against the post, and there were exciting exchanges until J. Dickson ultimately headed wide. Subsequently raid was countered by raid, both defences being stretched to the utmost, and the goalkeepers were kept busy. Four minutes from the interval Love broke away on the Aberdeen right, and beating Wilson sent in a low shot, which Falconer at full length deflected, but Smith lying close fastened on and banged hard into the net while the goalkeeper was still lying on the ground.


Dunfermline scored when the second half was two minutes old. Innes broke away on the right and centred accurately for Skinner to head past McSevich. Subsequently Aberdeen adopted a defensive policy for a time, and McSevich's charge had several narrow escapes. Later the home team again took up the attack, and Stevenson's goal was virtually bombarded. Smith sent over with a fierce shot, and later another great shot from the left winger hit the goalkeeper, and the ball went over the crossbar. Cheyne, Yorston. and Bruce also had tries which were either parried or missed narrowly. On one occasion Stevenson saved from Love at point blank range, and on another, Smith netted but was ruled "offside." The visitors' defence survived a gruelling time, but the Dunfermline forwards rallied again, and Jackson and Muir both got in the way of shots that might have beaten McSevich.


While they were the better team Aberdeen did not play so well as at Hamilton a week before and were upset by the kick and rush tactics of the Fife team. McSevich was safe in goal, but neither Jackson nor Muir was too reliable at back. Aberdeen were superior at half-back, Black and McDermid in particular playing well. In attack that combined better than that the visitors, Bruce, Love, and Smith were best.
Dunfermline were best served goal, at back, centre-half, centre-forward, and by the extreme wingers. Stevenson effected many daring saves, and Wilson and Clark did grand work in defence. Skinner was always a menace to the home defence, and Innes and Stein on the wings were sprightly if inclined to put their centres too near the home goalkeeper.

Source: Press & Journal, 10th October 1927

Dunfermline Athletic Teamsheet
Stevenson; Young, Wilson; Jack, Clark, Dand; Innes, T. W. Dickson, Skinner, J. Dickson, Stein
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: A. Allan, Glasgow
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen